treadmill or elliptical?

Options
I'm wanting to be more active and I'm considering getting either a treadmill or elliptical for my home.

Any opinions on which would be better. I won't be doing high impact activities like running because of a back and leg injury.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• IceFishie
    IceFishie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For lower impact choose elliptical
  • ChrisWillDoThis
    ChrisWillDoThis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill! If you need lower impact you can walk hills or speed walk. It just feels more natural than an elliptical IMO
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is better on your joints and as long as you perform on higher levels builds just as much fitness as treadmill.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Treadmill
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical due to terrible joints. Treadmill's more fun (though it can never, ever equal the joy of running outside when the weather's nice), but for less impact, gotta go with the elliptical!
  • _SummerGirl_
    _SummerGirl_ Posts: 3,791 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery over a decade ago and am always worried about the impact of running/treadmill on them. I got a elliptical and can do cardio every day on it. Once in awhile, I will do the treadmill at the gym, but my joints appreciate the elliptical....
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Personally i would go with elliptical because if i wanted to run i could go outside, but elliptical training cannot be replicated for free. Plus it does your arms. Plus it's less high impact.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Personally i would go with elliptical because if i wanted to run i could go outside, but elliptical training cannot be replicated for free. Plus it does your arms. Plus it's less high impact.

Good points. Thank you
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'd get the elliptical. Oooh. I'd get the AMT. $10,000, though. :(
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Treadmill is boring compared to running or hiking on trails, but it sure beats the elliptical. I hate that thing. So monotonous. And I can't explain it, but the movement just feels wrong to me. If you want to know which to choose, try them both out for a while and see which one is less boring.
  • Rebecca0224
    Options
    wendsg wrote: »
    I prefer the elliptical due to terrible joints. Treadmill's more fun (though it can never, ever equal the joy of running outside when the weather's nice), but for less impact, gotta go with the elliptical!

I use to love running but can't anymore I miss it. I loved to run the sound of feet hitting ground, the feeling of the air moving, the sun or rain on skn, it felt freeing.
  • Rebecca0224
    Options

Lol that's a nice one but I'd prefer not to have to sell an organ to pay for it.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Lol that's a nice one but I'd prefer not to have to sell an organ to pay for it.

Kidneys are overrated...
  • Rebecca0224
    Options

Kidneys are overrated...

It wouldn't be my organ but it's just messy.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Which ever one you choose it's an expense, I suggest you go to the YMCA or other gym and try the different ones available. After a month you can safely make your investment. All exercises are great but the greatest is the one YOU like. That will keep you going
  • Rebecca0224
    Options
    Which ever one you choose it's an expense, I suggest you go to the YMCA or other gym and try the different ones available. After a month you can safely make your investment. All exercises are great but the greatest is the one YOU like. That will keep you going

I understand there will be an expense and I have tried both in the gym but wanted other people's opinions on what would be best for long term home use. Also some ideas of which ones to look at because there are so many on the market. I thought I would get bored with the treadmill but people had good points about incline and ways to change the routine but now I'm thinking the elliptical would be best for low impact. I will also ask my doctor about this to see if he has an opinion on which I will be able to safely use long term. I don't want to get a piece of equipment and it turn into a "coat rack" like so many I have seen.
  • CrabbyCancerMama
    CrabbyCancerMama Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think a treadmill would give u more options. uphill, side walking or backwards walking.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    A treadmill has the potential for a little more variety, although you can still do different intensities/durations on an elliptical. If you cannot run, an elliptical may be slightly better for higher-intensity workouts (you can do a lot with incline walking, but not everyone enjoys that feeling of walking uphill).

There is no "wrong" choice.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Elliptical. Better on my knees by far.
  • Rebecca0224
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    A treadmill has the potential for a little more variety, although you can still do different intensities/durations on an elliptical. If you cannot run, an elliptical may be slightly better for higher-intensity workouts (you can do a lot with incline walking, but not everyone enjoys that feeling of walking uphill).

There is no "wrong" choice.

I'm kind of worried I won't be able to get an intense workout with a treadmill since I can't run.