What traditional "diet" foods do you avoid?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I avoid foods that I don't like, foods that aren't worth the calories and foods that I'm not willing to pay for, some of these foods happen to be popular on diets so here are some:

Nut milks, coconut oil, anything that is twice the price just because it's organic/gluten free/vegan/low carb/GMO free/sugar free/low fat...etc, kale and berries (love them, but too expensive), fat free cheese... and anything else where the compromise in taste is not worth the calories saved.

I also avoid using any replacements as replacements (like using anything other than dough as a pizza crust, having a cauliflower mash when I want mashed potatoes or replacing pasta with anything else that isn't pasta). I do use some of these things as their own dish sometimes when I feel like having them (like cauliflower rice) but never as a replacement for the real thing. The only times I would do replacements is where the taste is not compromised by much and is still very similar to the real thing, like artificially sweetened drinks.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Most light and fat free foods.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Same. Also, anything with the words "diet" or "zero" on the packaging.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I typically avoid foods marketed as "diet foods"
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    That people start eating on a diet because "these are what you eat": egg whites, anything on the Bro Food Diet List (though I like many of those foods, I prefer SEASONING on them), Laughing Cow cheese (way too many people eating these).
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Pretty much this.

Except I can't stand regular Coke, so when I have soda, I drink Diet Coke. It tastes better and the lack of calories is a bonus.

There's nothing I eat or don't eat because of "diet," but there are things I eat or don't eat because of nutrition.

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Anything labeled "low fat" or "sugar free" or "low cal" "low carb" I have always eaten a diet based of real/whole foods and have never been outside a healthy BMI so I truly believe in not falling for the "diet foods". Lots of veggies and fruits and lean meats and olive oil for cooking!
  • UK92
    UK92 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Salads.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Kale, quinoa, tofu, and anything gluten-free, sugar-free, or fat-free.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese. blugh.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Heh, I like carrot and celery sticks, with the new Chobani dips, or with laughing cow cheese, or peanut butter.

I don't do "diet" foods, other than calorie free soda. They're generally just sad substitutes.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    My apologies, my thread should have been ''anyone else hate carrot/celery sticks''- that's all I really cared about.

I lost 50+ pounds without eating carrots sticks or celery :tongue:
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My apologies, my thread should have been ''anyone else hate carrot/celery sticks''- that's all I really cared about.

Not me. About the only veggies I do like. Just have to be raw. Plus snap peas, cherry tomatoes and peppers.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Celery and carrot sticks, blah! I don't like muesli bars (not particularly healthy), trail mix, plain popcorn, cottage cheese, pita bread, bran muffins, chili's, stir frys, garden salads...

Lol... when I saw the title of your post, celery & carrot sicks were right there! Just because something is low cal doesn't mean I want to eat it all day. Also not a fan of bars & trail mixes, as they are not particularly low calorie, but I actually like the other things on your list. My favorite garden salad has chicken, apple, craisins & blue cheese in it with a generous amount of sweet onion dressing... nothing "diety" about that, in my book. ;)
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Yogurt. I've tried it many times and in many forms, and I'm not going to eat it unless it's in some form of Indian curry or gravy. When I first started losing weight and tried Weight Watchers, I felt like a pariah because I didn't eat yogurt for breakfast, as a snack, for dessert, and as a replacement for sour cream. I swear the group was responsible for 78% of yogurt sales in Pennsylvania.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I lost 50+ pounds without eating carrots sticks or celery :tongue:

Celery sticks are awesome slathered in peanutbutter...otherwise I only eat celery in soups. Carrots are good on salads and dipped in ranch. I actually love a good salad.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Celery sticks are awesome slathered in peanutbutter...otherwise I only eat celery in soups. Carrots are good on salads and dipped in ranch. I actually love a good salad.

I prefer my pb the way it was meant to be - straight off the spoon! Maybe with a banana or apple if I'm feeling particularly virtuous o:)