Keto coffee Love it or hate it?

Options
13»

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    What is Keto coffee?
    I drink coffee from Hawaiian beans that my husband grinds at home. Black and with Splenda; nothing else goes inside my coffee cup.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think it's dumb but it does taste kind of good.

I'm not sure what you mean... It's dumb to drink coffee that tastes good? If it tastes bad to you then I agree, it would be dumb to drink it.

It means what I think it means. It's dumb to put butter in coffee. I can have an opinion right?

Okay... Yes, you have every right to think a food combination is dumb.

Thanks. I had not finished my coffee yet and I'm wildly cranky from this deficit.

LOL
  • ExoticKaotic
    ExoticKaotic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    What is Keto coffee?
    I drink coffee from Hawaiian beans that my husband grinds at home. Black and with Splenda; nothing else goes inside my coffee cup.

Keto coffee= black coffee, with 1 tbsp of coconut oil/or mct oil, 1 tbsp of butter, cinnamon, 2 tbsp of heavy cream. Optional with sugar substitute.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    @ExoticKaotic
    Thank you for the clarification. I just finished lunch and I almost lost it after reading that combination :s
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »

If I had the time (maybe later) I would link the article that says MCT Oil is no better than plain old unrefined coconut oil, and there are less than 1 gram of carbs in a Tbsp of heavy cream and lots of fat so it's perfectly fine for Keto. The OP never said "Bulletproof" coffee, they said "Keto" coffee.

Oh, please post this article! I would love to read it! I well understand the science behind the use of MCT oil vs. unrefined coconut oil in a keto diet, so I would love to hear your argument.

This is what I have read, but since I don't do science you can explain what you know.

https://healthimpactnews.com/2014/mct-oil-vs-coconut-oil-the-truth-exposed/
    http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/mct-oil-the-coconut-oil-dregs/
    https://authoritynutrition.com/mct-oil-101/
  • friskymatata
    friskymatata Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I said goodbye to Starbucks Latte after drinking this... Keto coffee, where have you been my whole life? Take me and my excess 20 pounds with you!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

If I had the time (maybe later) I would link the article that says MCT Oil is no better than plain old unrefined coconut oil, and there are less than 1 gram of carbs in a Tbsp of heavy cream and lots of fat so it's perfectly fine for Keto. The OP never said "Bulletproof" coffee, they said "Keto" coffee.

Oh, please post this article! I would love to read it! I well understand the science behind the use of MCT oil vs. unrefined coconut oil in a keto diet, so I would love to hear your argument.

This is what I have read, but since I don't do science you can explain what you know.

Fascinating and somehow, if true, I am not surprised that companies made this MCT supplement and are using it to misguide people.
  • kaye300
    kaye300 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sweet leaf has english toffee Stevie drop.......yummmmm
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Johnkane44 wrote: »
    I even didn't try it yet. But interested for it. Hope I will try later.

If you are interested in trying, I suggest cutting the butter and oil down to a teaspoon each to see if you like it. When I first tried it, the taste itself was nice but all that fat made me gag. It was such an unpleasant feeling.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

OK...after reading through all three of these articles, I will say that they all support the use of MCT oil in "Keto" or "Bulletproof" coffee. The four fatty acid chains found in UNrefined coconut oil are:

C6 - capric acid
    C8 - caproic acid
    C10 - caprylic acid
    C12 - lauric acid

The industry extracts the lauric acid and sells it to the cosmetic market. What's left is MCT oil with the capric, caproic and caprylic acids. These three all can be processed easily and efficiently by the liver into ketones, which in turn can be utilized directly by the brain as an alternate to glucose. Because they can be so easily converted, they are not likely to be stored as fat.

So yes, MCT oil is NOT the same as coconut oil, but that doesn't mean it's "bad". It depends how one uses it.

I would say that to derive maximum dietary and mental benefit from emulsifying fat into one's coffee, one should consider a purist approach, and go with MCT oil and grassfed unsalted butter. If you are more concerned with sweetness or hipness, then by all means, indulge in the cream, cinnamon, cocoa powder, stevia, Splenda, and whatever else one likes. The extras aren't going to hurt you, but they add extra calories.

If you prefer to use UNrefined coconut oil instead of MCT oil, just realize that you are getting the full dose of lauric acid along with the others. Again, not a bad thing, but different.

It really is kind of a silly argument. It reminds me of something Justin Wilson used to say (he was the Cajun cook on PBS years ago): "Wh-ah-te w-ah-ne wid fish...r-ay-d w-ah-ne wid meat...No! De k-ah-nd o' w-ah-ne you lak, das de k-ah-nd o' w-ah-ne you drank!"

Enjoy whatever you drink...and count the calories!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

OK...after reading through all three of these articles, I will say that they all support the use of MCT oil in "Keto" or "Bulletproof" coffee. The four fatty acid chains found in UNrefined coconut oil are:

C6 - capric acid
    C8 - caproic acid
    C10 - caprylic acid
    C12 - lauric acid

The industry extracts the lauric acid and sells it to the cosmetic market. What's left is MCT oil with the capric, caproic and caprylic acids. These three all can be processed easily and efficiently by the liver into ketones, which in turn can be utilized directly by the brain as an alternate to glucose. Because they can be so easily converted, they are not likely to be stored as fat.

So yes, MCT oil is NOT the same as coconut oil, but that doesn't mean it's "bad". It depends how one uses it.

I would say that to derive maximum dietary and mental benefit from emulsifying fat into one's coffee, one should consider a purist approach, and go with MCT oil and grassfed unsalted butter. If you are more concerned with sweetness or hipness, then by all means, indulge in the cream, cinnamon, cocoa powder, stevia, Splenda, and whatever else one likes. The extras aren't going to hurt you, but they add extra calories.

If you prefer to use UNrefined coconut oil instead of MCT oil, just realize that you are getting the full dose of lauric acid along with the others. Again, not a bad thing, but different.

It really is kind of a silly argument. It reminds me of something Justin Wilson used to say (he was the Cajun cook on PBS years ago): "Wh-ah-te w-ah-ne wid fish...r-ay-d w-ah-ne wid meat...No! De k-ah-nd o' w-ah-ne you lak, das de k-ah-nd o' w-ah-ne you drank!"

Enjoy whatever you drink...and count the calories!

Serious question. Don't you think, that if one wants to take the most pure approach, that they would do unrefined coconut oil + grass fed butter because it would be the closest thing to nature and less processed? Because to get MCT, you would have to process coconut oil.

Either way, I say go wit the one you enjoy... I just struggle with that type of argument.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Personally indifferent to it. If you like it drink it, if not don't. Nothing magical about it...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    To much work.

Black coffee qualifies as keto because it's also carb-less.

Bulletproof coffee is just quite frankly way to much work- I liked it (when made properly) but meh- black coffee is the life for me.
  • brighteststitcher
    brighteststitcher Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm staying away from the artificial sweeteners this time around - so my version of keto coffee is a latte made with my ninja coffee bar and 4oz of organic half and half (cheaper than cream, and about the same carbs), or bpc with either a little bit of half and half or nutpods creamer and a tablespoon of kerrygold (salted!). They're both delicious, and I find I don't miss the sweet, and it helps me not go overboard. Going about keto this time in a mostly primal way, and simple - no pseudo foods.
  • brighteststitcher
    brighteststitcher Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    To much work.

Bulletproof coffee is just quite frankly way to much work- I liked it (when made properly) but meh- black coffee is the life for me.

It's totally a pain, but I got a ninja coffee bar for christmas with a built in frother, and it makes it mad easy!
  • LilacLion
    LilacLion Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    No Folgers. No Butter. No Chemicals. No Kitten.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    To much work.

It's totally a pain, but I got a ninja coffee bar for christmas with a built in frother, and it makes it mad easy!

I have one now- I should probably give it a go- you can make it in a shaker bottle to if you want- you just have to be careful the steam from the coffee makes it a little volatile- like when you pop the top do it away from you since the pressure is high inside.