Please help me....In desperate need of expert advice

Options

Replies

• basoranno
    basoranno Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any meds. that cause weight gain? I know if I just count calories, it will take me forever to lose just 1 lb. I have to exercise hard to really lose weight. It's always been that way. Being in pain isn't helping you either cuz you are limited as to what you do. Can you bike? Running has been the best thing for me, but I'm thinking that's out of the question for you. How about looking into getting a personal trainer? Maybe they could help you out a bit.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing everything? At your start weight, even with a lower than average BMR, the weight should be dropping off at your weight and intake.
  • Trishous
    Trishous Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Maybe the weight going up is because you are increasing your muscle. I know my weight went up years ago as I toned up since I was pretty flabby. I had an infer red BMI done one time and found out I didn't need to lose as much as I thought because if I did I would have to lose muscle and bone. Just a thought, hope it helps.
  • sunshine12870
    sunshine12870 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    basoranno wrote: »
    Are you taking any meds. that cause weight gain? I know if I just count calories, it will take me forever to lose just 1 lb. I have to exercise hard to really lose weight. It's always been that way. Being in pain isn't helping you either cuz you are limited as to what you do. Can you bike? Running has been the best thing for me, but I'm thinking that's out of the question for you. How about looking into getting a personal trainer? Maybe they could help you out a bit.

Have to have a B12 injection every 10 weeks for the rest of my life because of that deficiency.
    I take a very strong prescription VitD supplement to try to counteract that deficiency.
    Pain killers when the pain is literally unbearable.
    Apart from that no other meds, I try not to take anything if I can help it.
    Can't afford a bike but when I join the gym in March I can use theirs and they will have personal trainers there
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

• BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in starvation mode, but it still doesn't sound like you're eating enough calories. I don't know your age but your BMR would be somewhere around 1800. I couldn't imagine eating 400-600 calories below my BMR, I would have no energy. It may or may not be related to you not losing weight, but I'd imagine that eating 1200-1400 calories would not be sustainable for you in the long run, especially if you are going to start going to a gym and doing more strenuous exercise, you can't exercise at your full potential if you have no energy.
  • sunshine12870
    Options
    I don't believe in starvation mode, but it still doesn't sound like you're eating enough calories. I don't know your age but your BMR would be somewhere around 1800. I couldn't imagine eating 400-600 calories below my BMR, I would have no energy. It may or may not be related to you not losing weight, but I'd imagine that eating 1200-1400 calories would not be sustainable for you in the long run, especially if you are going to start going to a gym and doing more strenuous exercise, you can't exercise at your full potential if you have no energy.

Sorry keep leaving info out...
    I'm 46

Well you see this is what I thought, so when people were saying 1200 calories is no where near enough and leaving no room to manoeuvre as your weight drops, I thought they were probably right, hence why I started upping it, but now I'm gaining weight it's starting to worry me and just left me really confused.
  • sunshine12870
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Fitbit may be overestimating calories. I actually have a Charge 2 and sometimes I know it does. Also, lack of sleep and stress interfere with hormones that help to burn fat. Sometimes just getting a handle on those help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I wasn't stressed till today lol.

Sleeping isn't too bad, on average 7 to 8 hours every night
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options

Sorry keep leaving info out...
    I'm 46

Well you see this is what I thought, so when people were saying 1200 calories is no where near enough and leaving no room to manoeuvre as your weight drops, I thought they were probably right, hence why I started upping it, but now I'm gaining weight it's starting to worry me and just left me really confused.

It can be scary to eat more calories! But think of it this way, your weight is already going up, so you don't have much to lose by trying. I would try eating maybe 1900 for a few weeks and see how it goes, if it doesn't work you can always try something else. It can be tough to find that sweet spot where you are eating enough to fuel your exercise but also lose weight.
  • sunshine12870
    Options
    How long have you been doing everything? At your start weight, even with a lower than average BMR, the weight should be dropping off at your weight and intake.

Oh I totally agree....at my size, calories I'm on and exercising every day...absolutely it should just be dropping off....hence the confusion and frustration I'm feeling today.

I've been back since Sep last year, so 5 months I've been giving 100%, but clearly something is wrong
  • sunshine12870
    Options
    basoranno wrote: »

Have to have a B12 injection every 10 weeks for the rest of my life because of that deficiency.
    I take a very strong prescription VitD supplement to try to counteract that deficiency.
    Pain killers when the pain is literally unbearable.
    Apart from that no other meds, I try not to take anything if I can help it.
    Can't afford a bike but when I join the gym in March I can use theirs and they will have personal trainers there

Hi. What D supplement are you taking? Many people complain that prescription D2 makes them gain weight. Switch to D3 (which is OTC, cheaper and much more easily absorbed by the body).
    Many Dr's just prescribe D2 because of $. I had a deficiency that I fixed entirely through taking OTC D3

I'm on Fultium D3 800u capsules. So all good on that one
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Your logging is not tight enough. You have to weigh e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. When I tried to fudge and only weighed part of what I ate, I didn't lose either. I would do a good solid month or two of weighing literally everything you put in your mouth. If at that point you haven't started losing (eating based on MFP calorie set), then I would suggest getting your thyroid checked b/c the only time I haven't lost with this app is either when I'm not weighing everything or when my thyroid tanks and I need to increase my meds.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I looked at a few days of your food diary.
    The first thing I want to mention is that you're tracking trans-fats and consistently getting "0". While "0" is wonderful for trans fats, it's a waste of one tracking column. I wanted to see sodium, so I looked at the printable view of your diary to see the sodium column. One thing I know has sodium is bread, so I looked at your Weight Watcher's Danish White Bread and see that your diary lists your WW white bread as having "0" sodium. That's basically false. A 20 gram slice of that bread has 200 mg sodium. This leads me to suspect that you have other errors in your tracking, and it's your job to diligently record your nutrition accurately. Myfitnesspal users are permitted to edit the food database. This is great power. Use it well.

And with that great power comes...great responsibility! (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

But this is very true. I've personally found many errors in the database, and I know others have as well. I'm guilty of eyeballing the entries and choosing one that looks reasonable when I'm in a hurry, but I try to compare to packages whenever possible.

OP: Take advantage of the option to change up the columns you see by default on your diary. I'll track sodium for a while, then switch it up to sugar, then something else I want to track might catch my eye. I always keep total fat on there, but ignore trans fat. I try not to eat a lot of prepared foods, so it's not really something I concern myself with.