Please help me....In desperate need of expert advice

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    basoranno wrote: »
    Are you taking any meds. that cause weight gain? I know if I just count calories, it will take me forever to lose just 1 lb. I have to exercise hard to really lose weight. It's always been that way. Being in pain isn't helping you either cuz you are limited as to what you do. Can you bike? Running has been the best thing for me, but I'm thinking that's out of the question for you. How about looking into getting a personal trainer? Maybe they could help you out a bit.

Have to have a B12 injection every 10 weeks for the rest of my life because of that deficiency.
    I take a very strong prescription VitD supplement to try to counteract that deficiency.
    Pain killers when the pain is literally unbearable.
    Apart from that no other meds, I try not to take anything if I can help it.
    Can't afford a bike but when I join the gym in March I can use theirs and they will have personal trainers there

Hi. What D supplement are you taking? Many people complain that prescription D2 makes them gain weight. Switch to D3 (which is OTC, cheaper and much more easily absorbed by the body).
    Many Dr's just prescribe D2 because of $. I had a deficiency that I fixed entirely through taking OTC D3

I'm on Fultium D3 800u capsules. So all good on that one

800? That's not enough to cure a severe deficiency. I had to take 4000iu daily plus increase my intake of D- rich foods like full fat dairy to bring it back up.
    Who is telling you to take these amounts and what were your levels? I also have had a B12 defiency which again I rectified by taking 5000mcg each day. I was told my 2 doctors that it's more effective to take it daily rather than be injected because your body can only absorb a certain amount at a time.
    Sorry for all the questions but it's no wonder you're exhausted if you really have a D deficiency and are trying to rectify it with such a low amount.

Yeah I take 5000 IU
    And it's over the counter, not prescription (but it was recommended by my doctor)

I take it with combined K, helps better absorption.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited February 2017
    .....still begs the question why a woman my size hasn't been dropping weight for quite some time now.

New batteries for your bathroom scale? Is it possible that your body weight measurement is what is causing the disconnect?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Are you taking any meds. that cause weight gain? I know if I just count calories, it will take me forever to lose just 1 lb. I have to exercise hard to really lose weight. It's always been that way. Being in pain isn't helping you either cuz you are limited as to what you do. Can you bike? Running has been the best thing for me, but I'm thinking that's out of the question for you. How about looking into getting a personal trainer? Maybe they could help you out a bit.

Have to have a B12 injection every 10 weeks for the rest of my life because of that deficiency.
    I take a very strong prescription VitD supplement to try to counteract that deficiency.
    Can't afford a bike but when I join the gym in March I can use theirs and they will have personal trainers there

Hi. What D supplement are you taking? Many people complain that prescription D2 makes them gain weight. Switch to D3 (which is OTC, cheaper and much more easily absorbed by the body).
    Many Dr's just prescribe D2 because of $. I had a deficiency that I fixed entirely through taking OTC D3

800? That's not enough to cure a severe deficiency. I had to take 4000iu daily plus increase my intake of D- rich foods like full fat dairy to bring it back up.
    Who is telling you to take these amounts and what were your levels? I also have had a B12 defiency which again I rectified by taking 5000mcg each day. I was told my 2 doctors that it's more effective to take it daily rather than be injected because your body can only absorb a certain amount at a time.
    Sorry for all the questions but it's no wonder you're exhausted if you really have a D deficiency and are trying to rectify it with such a low amount.

Ya, I was only mildly deficient in D when I started taking 2,000 IU as recommended by my doctor.
  • vivianng0
    vivianng0 Posts: 1 Member
    I would focus on the number of macro nutrients first and then the number of calories you are consuming. Try to make sure 40% of your diet is protein, 30% carbs, 30% fats. If possible I would try to cut out dairy and any simple carbs. These are tips I've received in the past from a nutritionist and they have helped me.
  • kshama2001 wrote: »

Ya, I was only mildly deficient in D when I started taking 2,000 IU as recommended by my doctor.

Right? I took a multi vitamin for years with 800 IU in it and it did nothing to stop me having a bad deficiency.
    I also don't understand why anyone would need a prescription for such a low dose of D3? I bought 6 months supply of 4000 IU tablets OTC for $6.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member

Yeah I take 5000 IU
    And it's over the counter, not prescription (but it was recommended by my doctor)

I was VERY deficient in D (it was 19 when we discovered it) and I've been taking 10,000iu's a day for 5yrs. I'm just barely over 50 now (my doctor wants to see 70). 800iu's isn't even going to scratch the surface. Maybe double check this with your doc?
  • sunshine12870
    sunshine12870 Posts: 92 Member
    With regards to the VitD...Maybe this explains why I'm still struggling so much and still tired, weak, no energy, my bones/muscles/body aches from top to bottom. I struggle from day to day.
    The B12 I've never been offered anything else other than an injection every 10 weeks, I wasn't aware there was any other options.
    I've screen shot what you have all said and I'm going to show my doctor at the end of this month when my levels have been re-checked .
    I will update back here .
    I will also update back here about my weight at end of March as I'm going to give it another 6 weeks from now.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited February 2017
    With regards to the VitD...Maybe this explains why I'm still struggling so much and still tired, weak, no energy, my bones/muscles/body aches from top to bottom. I struggle from day to day.
    The B12 I've never been offered anything else other than an injection every 10 weeks, I wasn't aware there was any other options.
    I've screen shot what you have all said and I'm going to show my doctor at the end of this month when my levels have been re-checked .
    I will update back here .
    I will also update back here about my weight at end of March as I'm going to give it another 6 weeks from now.

This is often a sign of pernicious anemia. Did your Dr run other tests?
    I don't know what dose your injections are but these are the B12 tablets I was advised to get (from Costco if you have one near you)
    ka3ubdz2n36m.jpg

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Yeah how are your iron levels? I had vitamin D deficiency in conjunction with severe anemia. And anemia is no joke, I don't care how common it is, it means your red blood cells are malformed and can't bring oxygen to your body properly. By the time my doctor found it I had the lowest counts they'd ever seen a person still be able to walk around and function with (iron count of literally 1 where over 50 is preferred for that test, hemoglobin of 6 when 12 is considered anemic and 15 or more is normal). And I had to specifically ask for the test too, my doctor didn't run it as part of their normal testing!! Funny thing is they were already treating me for menorrhagia... you'd think they would have checked for anemia before I almost died... ugh.
  • Yeah how are your iron levels? I had vitamin D deficiency in conjunction with severe anemia. And anemia is no joke, I don't care how common it is, it means your red blood cells are malformed and can't bring oxygen to your body properly. By the time my doctor found it I had the lowest counts they'd ever seen a person still be able to walk around and function with (iron count of literally 1 where over 50 is preferred for that test, hemoglobin of 6 when 12 is considered anemic and 15 or more is normal). And I had to specifically ask for the test too, my doctor didn't run it as part of their normal testing!! Funny thing is they were already treating me for menorrhagia... you'd think they would have checked for anemia before I almost died... ugh.

Wow I'm glad they caught it, anemia is no joke!
    It's worth adding that pernicious anemia has nothing to do with iron. It's to do with the body's inability to absorb B12. But regardless of type, the OP definitely seems to need follow up bloodwork.
  • ronjsteele1
    With regard to the b12 injections- I'm sure how much you're getting matters but I know when my teenage daughter was getting them she had to get them weekly. So once every ten weeks sounds like not enough (again, dosage matters). I would also ask about frequency of these shots because low b12 will also make you feel like crap.
  • sunshine12870
    Thank you everyone for telling me (and showing me) higher doses of B12 + D, this may well be why I am struggling every single day, everything is a real effort and I do mean everything.

I will be taking all this information to my Doctor and hopefully getting me sorted.

Can I just ask tho....those of you who have spoke tonight about stronger doses of both and more regular injections....are you from UK ??? As I'm worried maybe it's different in different countries.
  • ronjsteele1
    I'm in the US.
  • susannekb
    susannekb Posts: 31 Member
    I'm in Ireland so have similar regulations to the UK and you can get vit d at 1000iu strength otc. I know that I've had docs who prescribe me things that are available otc and it's only when you chat to the chemist they mention that it's actually cheaper otc than getting the item on prescription.
    Personally I'd have a chat with your local pharmacist and then armed with that knowledge have a chat with your go.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I don't believe in starvation mode, but it still doesn't sound like you're eating enough calories. I don't know your age but your BMR would be somewhere around 1800. I couldn't imagine eating 400-600 calories below my BMR, I would have no energy. It may or may not be related to you not losing weight, but I'd imagine that eating 1200-1400 calories would not be sustainable for you in the long run, especially if you are going to start going to a gym and doing more strenuous exercise, you can't exercise at your full potential if you have no energy.

Sorry keep leaving info out...
    I'm 46

Well you see this is what I thought, so when people were saying 1200 calories is no where near enough and leaving no room to manoeuvre as your weight drops, I thought they were probably right, hence why I started upping it, but now I'm gaining weight it's starting to worry me and just left me really confused.

It sounds like you are eating at the surplus, that would be a good reason to gain. I would not walk so much if it brings you too much pain. Find an exercise that isn't causing pain. And keep in mind, you actually don't need to exercise to lose. I had a few months of excruciating pain, couldn't exercise at all, but eat at the deficit and lost 70 lbs. Now things are better, and I'm exercising again, but for fitness reasons, plus i can eat more, of course.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited February 2017
    Yeah how are your iron levels? I had vitamin D deficiency in conjunction with severe anemia. And anemia is no joke, I don't care how common it is, it means your red blood cells are malformed and can't bring oxygen to your body properly. By the time my doctor found it I had the lowest counts they'd ever seen a person still be able to walk around and function with (iron count of literally 1 where over 50 is preferred for that test, hemoglobin of 6 when 12 is considered anemic and 15 or more is normal). And I had to specifically ask for the test too, my doctor didn't run it as part of their normal testing!! Funny thing is they were already treating me for menorrhagia... you'd think they would have checked for anemia before I almost died... ugh.
    My wife's hemoglobin and hemocrit were both *2*.

Doctor put her on a series of transfusions with Iron in them.
    Although both markers were a TWO she wasn't anywhere near "almost" dying.
    It definitely affected her energy levels and made her feel miserable.

I do not mean to minimize your very real health issues but the hyperbolic nature of your statement is just feeding the fire for people here looking to make excuses with unsubstantiated ones.

My wife has another follow-up in April (IIRC) to make sure her blood work is still in order.
  • sunshine12870
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    .....still begs the question why a woman my size hasn't been dropping weight for quite some time now.
    Well since you DID just beg the question and clearly don't understand what that means, I guess I will wade back in...

You just made a error in logic and seem to be OK with it.
    Please read up on Formal Logic before "begging the question": petitio principii
    You should NOT be "begging the question"; begging the question is a Logical Fallacy.

You have "made a conclusion based on a premise that lacks support. It can be a premise that's independent from the conclusion or in a simpler form, a premise that’s just a restatement of the conclusion itself."

In other words you have decided you SHOULD be losing weight with what you are doing, even though several people here have told you that you are doing the wrong things.

By your own admission, the advice of people here who agree with you that you "should be" losing weight because you are "larger" is not working.

Therefore, if you start taking the advice of people who are not "agreeing" with you THEN you can start to wonder why you have not "been dropping weight for quite some time".

Blaming it on a vitamin deficiency is another rationalization.
    Implying it is a medical cause without confirmation from a doctor is just making excuses.

Sorry you've lost me now.
    I have read everything you've had to say and tried to take it all on board, and have made some changes. Diary is definitely much tighter and more accurate now.

But....
    What excuses am I supposedly making and what am I blaming.

I make no excuses for anything and the only thing I've blamed for my B12 + D deficiency on are my aches and pains, tiredness, weakness etc.
    I'm not sure how much knowledge you have on these deficiencies and the effects they have on the body.

But excuses...No, I'm a fighter in every sense of the word, I've had to fight bigger and much tougher battles in my life than my weight, and just like I didn't let them beat me, I sure as hell ain't about to let my weight beat me either!.

I came on here hoping to find out how many calories a woman at 240lbs should be having a day to enable her to lose weight, and as much as I'm grateful for all the advice and have acted upon it.....I didn't get an answer to that question.

So since you seem to have a lot of knowledge in this area (that's not meant horribly).....let me pick your brains.....
    How many calories should I be having a day ?, should it be a certain quantity of certain foods, and what should I be doing with regards to exercise, what, when, how often.

If you want to add me/send me a private message rather than keep coming back on here, I'm happy to speak to you about what you do know, and maybe by getting to know me you will see I'm make of tough stuff, just a little lost right now that's all and need help to get on the right path.

Donna
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member

Ya, I first tested anemic 30 years ago and you'd think they'd run the test for iron/ferritin with my routine bloodwork but I have to ask for it.

@sunshine12870 have you been tested for anemia?

@cqbkaju the OP is talking about deficiencies regarding not feeling well, not as an excuse to not lose weight.