Ladies and WEIGHTS!

Options
JennaM222
JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
Alright women! I need your help/opinions/advice.

I lost my 30 lbs I wanted to. My cardio routine and random (hardly ever) strength training are not enough. I need to GET INTO LIFTING becasue I know that is the only things that is going to continue to sculpt my body. What do you ladies do? I am great with the legs, but struggle with upper body.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    First I did New Rules of Lifting for Women and now I'm doing the Venus Index. Love them both. Don't be afraid to lift heavy.
  • SunshineAndLove
    SunshineAndLove Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells all the way!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Check out BodyRock.tv and see how you can sculpt and lean your body. I would also recomend DVDs like JIllians or Jackies
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    whatever you do, stay away from the pink weights!!
  • stephinator1986
    Options
    Check out this site: http://bodyforlife.com/library/exercise and their downloadable exercise guide. I like working with free weights... definitely more efficient.

I've rotated through this exercise plan once already (the actual program this goes with is 12 weeks long) and am starting again on August 1st. The first time around the results were great.

Hope this helps!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    First I did New Rules of Lifting for Women and now I'm doing the Venus Index. Love them both. Don't be afraid to lift heavy.

Great book!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Les Mills Body Pump, twice a week, and push myself weight wise.
  • Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump for later...
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com has some exercise guides. If you have an iPhone, check out Nike Training Club app.
  • ehedges31
    ehedges31 Posts: 72
    Options
    Congrats on the loss!!!
    I haven't tried but read a lot about and can't wait to try resistance bands. They will tone and give muscle definition without bulking you up.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I see a personal trainer every two weeks for a new 60 minute program - pushups, squats, lunges, curls and lifts on the bosu, planks, etc. I repeat it three times a week. I love it and I regret wasting my time previously on the machines. This is such a great overall workout and I'm very happy with my results.
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ZTzUEtPTI&amp;feature=grec_index <--- I do this for abs. It's awesome and short. I usually do 10 reps of each exercise 3 times, 2-3 times a week. For arms, Pilates using a band is great!
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    P90X----lift heavy. :)
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    whatever you do, stay away from the pink weights!!

Ha ha! I am SO offended by those pink weights! Our gym just got in a new set - a pink kettle bell...and it weighs 4 lbs.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options

Great book!!

this is a fantastic book! :) Also New Rules of Lifting for Abs is the most recent one - looks good too!
  • brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I actually thought I was good on lower body till I got a trainer. WHEW!!! So inquire someone at the gym they will teach you everything. Anyway, I am so glad you want to sculpt. It is so beautiful.

I do Legs on Monday ; back/biceps on Tuesday; Wed Rest from weights but do cardio if you want; Thursday: Chest /Triceps/Shoulders; Friday: Abs and more LEGS

Each day is followed by 20 minutes High Intensity Interval Training on the elliptical.

If you start to lose weight again cut back on some of the cardio routine. I am losing right now so I have alot of cardio in the below routine plus I teach Zumba which is the ultimate cardio. ;-) Lift like a man though to look like a sleek and sexy woman. Push out 10-12 reps of everything. My reps are higher because my weight is just a bit lower than yours needs to be.

Monday: Legs
    Cardio as my warm-up (Walk for 10 minutes)
    Calf raises (3-4 set 15-20 reps)
    Leg extensions (4 sets 12 reps)
    Single leg lunges on a smith machine (3-4 sets 15 reps)
    Leg press (3-4 sets 12-15 reps)
    Roman Deadlifts (45)
    Side to side glutes (45)
    Cardio (10 minutes)
    Zumba (60 minutes at Curves)

Tuesday: back / biceps
    Assisted pullups (3-4 sets of 12)
    Seated rows (3-4 sets of 12)
    Lat pulldowns (3-4 sets of 12)
    Preacher curls (3-4 sets of 15)
    Hammer curls (3-4 sets of 15)
    Incline curls (3-4 sets of 12)
    Pushups
    Cardio

Wednesday
    Zumba (60 minutes)

Thursday: triceps /shoulders / abs
    Cardio (Walk for 20 minutes)
    Overhead extensions (3 sets of 12)
    Kickbacks (3 sets of 12)
    Cable pushdowns (3 sets of 12)
    Skull crushers (3 sets of 12)
    Assisted bench dips (3 sets of 12)
    Zumba (30 minutes at Curves)

Friday: abs / legs / cardio
    Stiff-leg deadlifts (3 sets of 12)
    Lying leg curls (3 sets of 12) or bridges with resistance ball
    Back extensions (3 sets of 12) or supermans
    Ab routine
    Zumba (60 minutes on base)

Saturday
    Zumba (60 minutes)

I hope this helps you.....I wanna see progress pics...
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    The simpler the program, at least for starters, the more likely you'll start it and stick with it. Push ups can be done without any equipment. Presses, rows and flies all can be done with some free weights and an exercise ball.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I need to do this as well. I've been focusing on cardio and I know that lifting will help me trim down and burn cals!!!!
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    Alright women! I need your help/opinions/advice.

I lost my 30 lbs I wanted to. My cardio routine and random (hardly ever) strength training are not enough. I need to GET INTO LIFTING becasue I know that is the only things that is going to continue to sculpt my body. What do you ladies do? I am great with the legs, but struggle with upper body.

Thanks in advance!

Do you go to a gym? If so, most gyms include a short work-up with the trainer there in your membership. I just did this and the PT had me figure out my 1 rep max squat and max chest press. Then, with that information, he formulated a lifting plan for me with a goal of being able to chest press my body weight and squat press 1.5 x's my body weight after 12 weeks. He also gave me the book "The New Rules of Lifting Weights for Women" as someone else mentioned.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

Great book!!

love this - ordering off Amazon now!