Tea and Apple Cider Vinegar

Options
I just started drinking hot tea with ACV and I'm wondering if anyone else is also, or if anyone has already tried it. It will be a week tomorrow. I drink it 1-2 times a day. I feel like I'm less hungry at dinner time, so I'm hoping this works :)

Replies

• jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I like green tea before bed, helps me sleep. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are you hoping the ACV works for? Because it doesn't do much.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I read the MFP message boards sporadically, but from what I've seen, a mob will generally grab their torches when someone mentions a particular food as having helpful properties for weight loss. So just a heads up. ;)

I don't know how accurate this is, but I've read that ACV can help steady blood sugar. So the appetite reduction you feel could possibly be due to that. Could instead be from other things unrelated to the ACV though...

I don't believe ACV can do much else besides possibly impact appetite, so indirectly help weight loss in that way. I think managing our appetite is a key step in weight loss though, so if this helps you, that's great!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I sometimes drink green tea by itself between meals to stave off hunger. That's the best you can hope to happen with your beverage.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Kombucha is like vinegar, it has a little fizz. It delays the hungries for me.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use ACV for heartburn, if I am desperate.
  • sitastar2004
    sitastar2004 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I read that it helps suppress appetite and increase metabolism
  • sitastar2004
    sitastar2004 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's responses. I don't notice much of a difference until it's close to dinner. I'm not that hungry and basically eat something bc I know I need to eat.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    In all likelihood, that's due to the caffeine in the tea you're drinking. I've yet to see a credible scientific study that shows a link between ACV and appetite suppression.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Even if ACV increases your metabolism, which really probably doesn't need speeding up, the effect would be very small and short lived. Our bodies are very good at regulating metabolism. Things that speed it up usually do so by irritating the body, and very quickly your body adapts to it so what little effect it has disappears. As mentioned earlier, very few people has slow metabolisms. For that matter, when peoples metabolisms run fast is us almost always a sign of disease and not a good thing. Instead of trying some supposedly magical food that will cause you to lose weight, instead work harder at logging a moderate calorie deficit accurately.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    It does taste great on cooked cabbage.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I read that you can get some probiotics from acv, but only the the unfiltered kind with that white stuff in it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Wasn't true in the 1970's......still isn't true today.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    rhenry2424 wrote: »
    I sometimes use ACV for heartburn, if I am desperate.

Be careful. If you have lower than average stomach acid......this may help you.

But if you have higher than average stomach acid......this is horrible
  • chrismansa
    chrismansa Posts: 24 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I drink a shot of ACV before meals everyday. It does indeed control MY appetite (I can't speak for others). It allows me to practice portion control and I am not hungry after my meals. I do not snack. Last month I lost 24 pounds by controlling my food and appetite. I know some of it was water weight, but I'm still on the losing trend. Also, right now I have a fractured foot and my exercise is limited. ACV has been helpful for me. P.S. I drink ACV straight followed by a chug of water.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

Don't believe everything you read.
  • erin3011
    erin3011 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, do it! It can't hurt in moderation. It's also good for liver function.