Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Dalceridae
    Dalceridae Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    How do I join this group? Do I just "star" the thread?

There are individual groups which you can join, and they have their own subset of threads within their forum. This is a thread within one of the main forums, so there isn't really any way to "join" other than to just post :smile: You can bookmark the thread which will then add it to the list of threads you follow and make it easy to find.
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    AWESOME @pneschich !!! :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    @pneschich Been following your gastric surgery prep saga. Came across an article today that made me think of you. A new procedure called vbloc that doesn't surgically alter any organs, but instead uses an implantable pacemaker-style device which stimulates the vagal nerve to control appetite. Google Enterics vbloc. Interesting.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @pstegman888 looks interesting. I read a few. I got one very scholarly article, but early in they say up til now the only effective treatments are the invasive ones. I researched fairly exhaustively before I chose the sleeve, historical results, results vs risk, 5 and 10 year results. The last year I've talked to many RNY and sleeve patients who are having great results and minimal side effects.

@MermaidPrincessRach
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    OK! I've tried to post, edit and repost and all I get is the half post above!
    Thank you @MermaidPrincessRach
    Walked an hour this morning in the marsh, saw hundreds of birds, Herons, pelicans, gulls and a huge red shouldered hawk. Deer tracks and scat excited the dog he tracked them for a while. Worked all afternoon at MIL'S house. It was cold in Houston today,50's brrr.

I hope your days were as wonderful as mine.
  • RachaelPooh
    Options
    I have miserably fallen off the DASH wagon. :frowning: And I don't expect myself to eat healthy tomorrow ... SuperBowl = pizza! But I have made plans to revamp phase one starting on Monday. :+1:
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Happy to have beat my 5wk projection (from 5 weeks ago today) by 1.5 lbs. I record those numbers in my calendar every 5th Sunday and find them remarkably accurate, if not a little too conservative (like this time). It's also a fun game I play with myself. Does anyone else use those numbers? What's your experience?
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Good morning, everyone!

I went to a rock concert last night, so I'm currently recovering. *grin* My internal clock is a little off this morning: I was up until 1am (waaaay past my usual bedtime) and I didn't get out of bed until almost 9am, so I'm having that thing where it's much later in the day than I feel like it should be. And my throat is definitely worse for the wear -- lots of singing and cheering/yelling -- but I have three days before my next voice lesson and a full week to recover before my gig. Luckily I have no plans to do any talking today. :) (And I'm not a football fan, so I won't be doing any yelling at my TV!)

@Damensha - I'm sorry things are so tough for you right now...like it's not already hard enough to just be losing weight. Ugh. I'm glad you started counseling, though. I've been going every couple of weeks for the past five months and have found it more helpful than expected. I hope you're sleeping better!

@RobinB0812 - Hoping that the water retention has resolved and that your scale is friendlier now... :)

@MermaidPrincessRach - Mondays are good "reset" days. :+1:

Welcome, @jenmek!

Way to go, @pneschich!!

@birgitkwood - I look at the number every time I complete a diary entry, but mostly just to make sure it's less than I currently weigh. Heh. I never thought to use it as a goal/motivation! Though I guess I do use it as a kind of motivation when I've had a day where I far exceeded my calorie goal. Seeing how much ground I could lose in just 5 weeks often helps ensure that I get right back on track. For example, last night I went out to dinner and then had several beers at the show: my estimated calorie intake would be enough to make me gain 12 pounds in 5 weeks if every day were like that!! Though I'm hoping some of last night's excess was mitigated by all of the standing and dancing I did... ;)
  • RachaelPooh
    Options
    @birgitkwood yes, i keep a prediction calendar. I am just now starting actually weigh myself for the days that were predicted. Unfortunately, I slipped off my eating plan so I am not at the prediction weight. GFY reaching/exceeding your predictions! :+1::smiley:
  • gullagr
    gullagr Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    @birgitkwood - I have day planner reserved just for keeping track of my workouts, measurements, weigh ins and goals. I find that this works really well for me. I like being able to grab it to take to the gym and track my weights on different machines too. I can quickly mark down as I go along which machines I can increase the weight on for the next time I do my circuit. I've also marked out my weekly weight goals for every week of the year so it's a big motivation to look forward and see what I can achieve if I stick with it! :)
  • gullagr
    gullagr Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Also I had quiet a surprise when I took new measurements yesterday and found that in only about 10 days I have dropped 2.5 inches off of my belly and waist plus an inch off of both my hips and biceps :D definitely feeling motivated by those numbers!!
  • RachaelPooh
    Options
    @gullagr I really like your exercise planner journal! Might get one for myself!
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    @gullagr - great going! Your workout journal clearly works! Congrats

@MermaidPrincessRach - every day is another day #1. Get back on your plan and move on from there.

@Misnomer971 - it never even occurred to me that I could use the 5wk projection as a deterrent - lol. Whenever I go off the rails foodwise, it's usually an "event" or holiday or family celebration. It doesn't happen very often, and when it does - well, it's planned for. I don't track exact food on those days - just write "not tracking" in my diary and make up a reasonable guess of calorie count that even I don't take seriously. So I never noticed that the 5wk projection on those rare days might actually be UP :-D. Will definitely keep an eye on THAT!

So the reason those 5wk projections work for me is because I always record the number on Sundays - my least active day. Every weekday I go to the gym, and on Saturdays I run around doing errands, etc. On Sundays, especially in the winter, my butt is fairly sedentary and my step counter gives me hardly any extra activity calories. That's why that 5wk projection tends to be pretty conservative, and I almost always end up beating that number 5wks later. Fun!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share ... It's been a couple of months since i did one of these, and since there are new posters since then, thought I'd share.

I've been a 'member' of this thread since Wednesday, October 1, 2014 ... my poster name back then was NK1112 and that was in the days when the threads would end after a set number of posts. If you go back to page 1 of this thread and read the first several posts you'll see it was a real hazzle to get everyone who was a poster to find the thread again ... The page my first post appeared on was page 584 of this current thread. Tnis post is going to appear on page 869. ... so we have been a busy group of dieters on here, all trying to pull in the same direction on our individual paths to becoming more slender, more healthy, more in love with ourselves.

As for me today ... I am still in the Obese Category III classification and still working on my goal of getting to the overweight classification ... I'll be out of Class three after I lose another 15 pounds, and hope to be in class 1 by the end of the year. My normal weight, at it's high range is 141. I weighed that amount between 1965 and 1976. Before then, I was much lighter, but that's what I weighed after my only child was born, back in 1965, and I was never able to drop back to the weight I had been before I married his dad. What happened in 1976? My marriage went belly up. I turned to food as comfort and reward. I was too broke to buy 'good food', and wasn't very smart about nutrition either. Back then, I thought a small side salad of iceberg lettuce with 2 slices of cucumber, 1/4 of a small tomato, and 5 green olives was a all you needed of fresh vegetables in a day. All the rest of them, of those I ate, were part of cooking in stews, soups, casserols, with roasts, etc. I also thought it was fine to buy canned vegetables because I had been told they were just as nutritious as the fresh variety and no one cared about the sodium content back in those days. Heck, my favorite soup was Campbells Chicken Noodle and Lipton Chicken noodle ... you know, those tiny skinny bits of spaghetti noodle and a 1/4 cup of solid fats, salts, spices in the box? Oh, i have to admit, I'd still enjoy it today ... but the recipe changed, and I'm limited on sodium intake ...
    Well, long story shortened (still long, though), is that I have been up and down over these past three years and never lower than I am today. Yep ... logging my food every day, participating in threads and challenges, writing a blog, a journal, taking classes, altering habits and learning to live a different lifestyle have not brought, yet, the success I was desprate for on that first Wednesday in October of 2014. I'm still wishing, like I did on that day, that I'd get my butt in gear and really do a good, deep down, decluttering-cleaning-feng shuing alteration to my surroundings and myself ... what can I say ... i'm a work in progress. It's just that now, with my 72nd birthday, just around the corner, sever spinal stenosis, osteoarthric knees, shoulders, hips, spine, fingers and toes ... it's gonna take a bit more patience than it would have at an earlier time.

Moral of the tale? .... One is that it is 'never too late'. Another is, 'If not now, then when?"
    Have a great week everyone ... and stick with your plan!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

@niki-- good to hear from you again!

@birgitkwood --congrats on beating the 5 week estimate! I used to occasionally go into the date 5 weeks ahead in the food diary and write myself a little note "today you should weight XXX." Like you, I would pick a day of average to low activity so the estimate was conservative. It was always fun to see if it was accurate. I haven't done it lately b/c my current weight is still about 15 lbs above my MFP weight--I look forward to losing these lbs, so I can do that again. Another motivator for me--thanks for the reminder. :)

@Misnomer971 --what concert did you go to? Anyone we would know, or was it a local band? Going to see live music is one my favorite activities. Especially with all of the great musicians passing last year--knowing that I had seen David Bowie and Prince in concert made their passing slightly less painful (though not much :cry: ). Hence, when Green Day announced they were playing Wrigley Field this summer, I bought two tickets without even checking to see who might attend with me.

@Rach-- Good for you for recognizing your derailing quickly and making a plan to get back on track. :smile:

@pneschich --great job losing that weight! Hope you enjoyed the salt marsh.

@Damensha --sorry things are to rough right now--hugs to you!

@robinB-- I hope your ankle swelling has diminished.

@susan-- I'm sitting here rooting for the Falcons thinking of you!! :smile:

Welcome to the newlings!!

Sunday Share:
    Sorry I haven't been posting much during the week. I'm in another Amazing Race challenge and it takes up my "MFP time" to post in my team's thread and log my challenge numbers. I've also gotten a new Fitbit Charge 2, and learning to use it has occupied my attention for several days. So far I'm really liking it, but I've found I have "trust issues" with the amount of calories it's telling me I can eat to stay at a 500 calorie deficit. I have it synced with MFP, and I'm measuring and logging all of my food, so I know that's accurate but the numbers just don't add up to a 500 cal deficit. For example, right now it says I burned 2408 and have consumed 1866, but it says I have 342 calories remaining. I'm no math wizard, but 2408-1866 = 542, so shouldn't I only have 42 calories remaining? Is the Fitbit projecting additional calories I will still be burning today? I'm so confused.

Anyways, I've been just trying to make sure my net calories on MFP stay between 1200-1600 every day--so far mission accomplished all week except for Friday--that day I was at 2071 net, so basically maintenance.

On the exercise front, I made it to the gym 3 days this week after about a 3 week hiatus due to illness/injury. My knees both still hurt a bit but I can comfortably do the elliptical and stationary bike. I tried running on Thursday--definitely too soon. And I don't even need to try to do any lifting to know that would be a bad idea--I can barely squat right now without any weight. I guess I could do abs and upper body weights...

This week will be crazy busy b/c I'm teaching ACT/SAT prep classes on Tues and Wed night, plus I have a bunch of grading I didn't get finished this weekend. :(

I somehow got away from posting my grading and exercise goals, so I'm going to add those for motivation. :)

Grading goals:
    1. 10/40 AP essays

Exercise Goals:
    Mon- walk Gunner
    Tues- walk Gunner
    Wed- walk Gunner
    Thurs- walk Gunner + gym
    Fri- walk Gunner
    Sat- walk Gunner + gym
    Sun- walk Gunner
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone. :smiley:

Monday Check-In: I'm doing well this morning. Yesterday was nice and quiet, and my throat has recovered. :) I tried a new-to-me frozen burrito that only had 260 calories and was quite tasty, so I'm kind of pleased about that. For dinner I've pretty much only been eating Perdue encrusted fillets, and they're really good but I've started wanting to have some options. I'm looking forward to buying more of the burritos.

@gullagr - Way to go!!

@birgitkwood - All of my "off the rails" days are also planned/deliberate, and sometimes I also just put in a note. But whenever I can estimate how many calories I had that day, I make sure to complete the entry and see what a month of eating like that would do. It's not all deterrence, though: my 5-week projection is slowly getting closer and closer to being under 200 pounds, and the first time that number starts with a "1" I might have to take a screen shot or something! LOL!

@Nikion901 - Thanks for sharing your story! I give you a huge amount of credit for not giving up. That's very inspiring. :)

@skinnyjeanzbound - The band I saw was Cowboy Mouth, a rock group out of New Orleans. They're national, but not very well known. I've been a fan for ~20 years, and I love their live shows! It's funny what you said about buying tickets to Green Day without even knowing who might go with you, because that's exactly what I did. :) I started doing that last year, for shows I really want to see. Tickets go on sale so early these days, and I figure worst case I can try to sell them (e.g., if I wind up not being able to go). So far I've only had to eat the cost of a pair of Melissa Etheridge tickets.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Monday Check-in ... Whoop, Whoop, Whoop ... I finally broke out of the 240's this morning. I weighed in at 239.8 ,,,, that puts me at under 100 pounds away from my natural best weight of 141 (it's a pipe dream to reach it again), and less than 40 pounds to go to reach Obese Level 1 ... gonna do it, gonna do it, gonna do it. :D
  • Raxcee
    Raxcee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,

New here, started on my journey a week back. Lost 2kgs in the first week. Here is what I do. Eat 500 calories less than my daily requirement. Do cardiovascular exercise to utilize 500calories. So a deficit of 1000 a day. Have a cheat day and a low Cal day so that the left in stays high. Any comments suggestions welcome.
  • shalto
    shalto Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello group! First-timer here. So glad to find a group with similar goals!

I just finished my first week, and I'm down 7 lbs. But more important than the number on the scale, I feel great! I'm sleeping better and don't have that sluggish, bloated feeling. I know I will face challenges - some I'll overcome, and some I won't - but I'm keeping my eye on my goals!