Reasons for High blood pressure

Options
I'm almost 39, normal weight, and active (workout regularly, mostly running)

Today I had a physical done and my blood pressure was high 144/88. This is unusual for me. I had a bout of high blood pressure/preeclampsia with my first baby 8 years ago, but my blood pressure has been normal since (at least any time it's been checked, which honestly hasn't been often).

So I'm wondering what could cause such a high reading... they used the machine twice then did it manually and it was the same high reading.

I have to go back every other day for a week to see if it's an anomaly or if it's consistently high. I'm nervous about it... I eat pretty healthy and have always maintained a healthy weight and exercise so what else can I do?!

Replies

• rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Having pregnancy induced hypertension puts you at risk to having it later on. I also have it and had this with 2 of my 3 kids.
  • arobey11
    arobey11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Do you have a family history of high blood pressure?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    arobey11 wrote: »
    Do you have a family history of high blood pressure?

I only have 1 biological sister and she's kind of a mess as far as health goes. She's always been overweight (since we were kids) and has dealt with health issues ever since her first baby 14 years. She was a smoker and drinker and rarely exercised. She's recently quit both, but only after she had a mild stroke that ended up being her wake up call.

• zdyb23456
    Options
    rjan91 wrote: »
    Having pregnancy induced hypertension puts you at risk to having it later on. I also have it and had this with 2 of my 3 kids.

Do you have to take medication? Or do you manage it with diet and exercise?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    White coat syndrome possibly?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The problem with waiting a week to go to the dr office is that you will likely have another anticipatory elevated response. If you have an opportunity to have it taken under multiple times/conditions, that would be a helpful thing.

It is possible to have high bp even at a "healthy" weight and with exercise. On both occasions when I lost weight I tracked my bp closely. As weight decreased and exercise increased, my bp normalized. After several months, with no changes in diet or exercise , it gradually increased back to the older, higher levels.

I finally gave in and states taking a medication. It doe s not seem to bother me.
  • zdyb23456
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    White coat syndrome possibly?

I've never had the issue before. My husband does though.

I was a little bloated this morning, my wedding rings felt tight. I also was tired from staying up late. Would that affect blood pressure?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Any family history of kidney disease?
  • zdyb23456
    Options
    Any family history of kidney disease?

Not that I know of. I'm adopted.
  • Bentforkx
    Bentforkx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Any idea of your sodium intake??
    Has been linked to hypertension...
    An "average" amount would be around 2300mg/day
    A Cardiac diet would probably be around 1300mg/day
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    rjan91 wrote: »

This is what I was thinking as well. Mine is borderline high now and I had pre-e with my first pregnancy. I'm 37.
  • zdyb23456
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Bentforkx wrote: »
    Any idea of your sodium intake??
    Has been linked to hypertension...
    An "average" amount would be around 2300mg/day
    A Cardiac diet would probably be around 1300mg/day

I'm pretty sure it's high :(
    Even eating fairly healthy I'm pretty sure I go over on sodium regularly.
    It's definitely something I'm going to start watching from now on.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I had a very high blood pressure reading taken recently that was an anomaly. Either it was machine malfunction or that fact it was the day after the election, I don't know. Back to normal, now,
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Where are you with peri-menopause/menopause? I know you're young for menopause but.... just checking. It's very common for BP to spike (up and down) during "the change"
  • zdyb23456
    Options
    Where are you with peri-menopause/menopause? I know you're young for menopause but.... just checking. It's very common for BP to spike (up and down) during "the change"

I don't think I am going there yet. My periods are very regular. Unless there are other symptoms of menopause?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Hormonal contraceptives, including oral pills and implanon.

I have had issues with the automated cuffs--they freak me out because they squeeze my arm so tight--I try to think happy thoughts, but the readings are inevitably borderline. When an actual person takes my bp it's usually normal.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The high reading could be because you have hypertension lol. Typically diagnosed after a few visits though- it's not exactly uncommon. As a nurse it's always interesting to hear the excuses people come up with for their hypertension besides just having hypertension. If you hear hooves, there's a better chance it's horse than a unicorn lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It could just be an anomaly. Hypertension is also something that is very much hereditary, and it just shows up one day...that's what happened to me. I have to take meds despite regular exercise and a pretty solid diet...though those things allow me to take less medication than I otherwise would have to.
  • zdyb23456
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    The high reading could be because you have hypertension lol. Typically diagnosed after a few visits though- it's not exactly uncommon. As a nurse it's always interesting to hear the excuses people come up with for their hypertension besides just having hypertension. If you hear hooves, there's a better chance it's horse than a unicorn lol.

I'm just trying to see if there could be a reason since I haven't had it before other than at the end of my first pregnancy 8 years ago. I'm not a dr or a nurse to know the answers. Is it common in someone who is at a healthy weight and exercises regularly?
  • zdyb23456
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It could just be an anomaly. Hypertension is also something that is very much hereditary, and it just shows up one day...that's what happened to me. I have to take meds despite regular exercise and a pretty solid diet...though those things allow me to take less medication than I otherwise would have to.

I'm afraid that I might be on this path. How old were you when it showed up?