What traditional "diet" foods do you avoid?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Celery and carrot sticks, blah! I don't like muesli bars (not particularly healthy), trail mix, plain popcorn, cottage cheese, pita bread, bran muffins, chili's, stir frys, garden salads...

Are those traditional diet foods? I thought they were just food and some are fairly calorie dense actually.
    I avoid rice cakes, cabbage soup, diet shakes, diet bars, diet frozen meals, lite yogurt, low fat cheese, skim milk, just egg whites, diet pop, smoothies.
    I don't eat much fish, oatmeal or brown rice. I eat chicken thighs more than chicken breasts.
    I just eat what I like but fewer calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I'm not exactly sure what it means to avoid a food. Do you like skip aisles where they are in the store? Run screaming from the room if the food is served? Forbid anyone to bring them into your house?
  • clblewis
    clblewis Posts: 34 Member
    I'm not a fan of carrot and celery sticks either. :# I avoid bananas. I don't want to waste the carbs and calories on a banana when I can enjoy other fruits that pack more nutrition per serving.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    I'm not exactly sure what it means to avoid a food. Do you like skip aisles where they are in the store? Run screaming from the room if the food is served? Forbid anyone to bring them into your house?

Yeah this is pretty bizarre...
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    I like carrots and celery. What will not cross my lips is cabbage soup.;)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited February 2017
    Low fat cheese. I am pretty sure it was made by satan's slaves in hell. Cheese is meant to be fatty, creamy, melty and delicious, anything less and it makes no sense.

Also, yogurt and artificial sweeteners.....because I like my taste buds and don't enjoy pissing them off.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member

Avoid can be defined as "to refrain from". I interpret avoiding foods in this thread as "I do not consume these items commonly associated with dieting".

I don't buy the foods I am avoiding and I don't eat them if they are around. I have not forbbiden other people from eating foods I don't want to eat. I do not skip store aisles or run screaming from rooms. I avoid eating the foods I am allergic or sensitive to or just dislike.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Salad.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    My apologies, my thread should have been ''anyone else hate carrot/celery sticks''- that's all I really cared about.

Yes. I hate them both.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited February 2017
    I avoid artificial sweeteners because, gross. I also steer clear of fat-free items and pretty much anything labeled "diet" or "lite". I tried Quest bars recently--uck! I almost never throw things out that aren't rotten in the back of the fridge, but the Quest bars went directly in the trash after a bite.

I did try the Oreo thins, and those are yummy--but they're just thinner, not skimping on fat or using artificial sugars. If I want to save calories I do tend to go for things like that, including Triscuit Thins or smaller versions of cookies, etc. They don't need to be fat free!

• vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have taken my cue from Michael Pollan.
    I eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
    If your great grandmother would not have recognized it as food, don't eat it.
    If it has a) more than 5 ingredients, b) unfamiliar or unpronounceable ingredients, or c) high-fructose corn syrup, don't eat it.
    Avoid products that make 'health claims'.
    Stay out of the supermarket whenever possible. Shop at farmers markets or CSAs. Or grow it yourself.
    When you do visit the supermarket, shop around the edges - produce, seafood, meat, dairy, bakery, deli - and only venture into the center aisles for staples like oils, certain condiments, and minimally processed products.
    Eat mostly plants, especially leaves.
    Eat less seeds.
    Choose meats that have been fed a natural diet - grassfed beef and lamb, pasture-raised pork and poultry, wild-caught seafood, and free-range wild game meats.
    If you have freezer space, (or space for a freezer...buy one!), buy in bulk.
    Eat like an omnivore. Diversify your diet whenever possible. Try new stuff.
    Eat well-grown food from healthy soil...organic!
    Plant a garden if you can.
    Eat wild foods when you can. Make sure you get permission to pick beforehand; don't trespass or pick on public park land.
    Pay more, eat less.
    Eat meals, not snacks.
    Eat at a table.
    Try not to eat alone whenever possible.
    Listen to your gut.
    Eat slowly.
    Cook.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    My apologies, my thread should have been ''anyone else hate carrot/celery sticks''- that's all I really cared about.

I like celery and carrots and cabbage soup (I make my own).
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    anything that says low/non fat, diet, reduced sugar, gluten free, etc.
  • Celery. Low fat cottage cheese, just pales in comparison to full fat. And I never buy fat free dairy. Ew. Slim fast and all drinks like it.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Cabbage and Carrots. YUCK! I Like all other veggies.. but those are just disgusting.
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Tofu.. I don't eat soy and don't think it's good to consume.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Low fat/cal dairy (besides cheeses that are naturally low cal like feta). There is nothing worse than skim cheese.

Mini 100 cal snack bags - are you kidding? I will eat the whole box. I'd rather just buy one regular kit Kat than a box of 20 100 cal kit Kat snacks.

Frozen low cal dinners - they're expensive and I can make something more flavourful and nutritious for half the price.

Low cal cream salad dressings - they tend to taste like aspartame to me

Diet sodas, yuck.

I'm sure there are more.

Some I love:

Half fat mayo, boathouse cilantro yogurt dressing, some of these new low cal bags of popcorn like boom chicka pop.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I'm not a grapefruit fan. I don't want 'light' peanut butter. Give me all the fat and keep the corn syrup filler out of it, please! (I'm okay with light mayo, but not the Hellman's fat-free).
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Liquid calories and granola bars
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Anything fat free