Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    lynnskaggs wrote: »
    instead of hi-jacking someone's post, I'll start my own. Who can recommend the best exercise for weight loss? I need examples, talk to me like I'm gym dumb...
    Exercise isn't for weight loss. It's for fitness and health. One could exercise their heart out on a daily basis, but if they still eat more than they burn, they won't lose weight, they'll gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

It depends on your point of view. I eat what I've always eaten and added 500 calories of exercise a day for my deficit. I realize I COULD eat more and ruin it but I haven't changed my diet. I've changed my activity to create the deficit.

The problem with that, is if a person is not actually monitoring what they eat and their non-exercise activity what usually happens is they eat a little more and move a little less overall resulting in that deficit being eaten up very easily.

Could a person create their deficit through exercise? Sure, but they still need to track what they eat somehow.

Is it easier to create a deficit through exercise? Not really since the vast majority of the calories most people burn through the day are from their BMR. It is far easier to create a deficit through dealing with the Calorie In portion of the equation, or some combination of exercise and calorie restriction.

Exercise is primarily for 1) Health to strengthen muscles and bones. 2) To retain muscle mass. Thus a combination of cardio and strength training is ideal.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    For me when adding exercise to a calorie deficit its running. I was never a runner but when I added running it put my weight loss on turbo. Now I run because its fun. When I went hard core to lose my beer gut I ran 25+ miles a week, Nautilus set 3 times a week, and planks for 16 minutes daily. I lost the weight and was in the best shape of my life. I put 15lbs. back on so its time to get serious again but running is my pick for calorie burn. I also slacked off my running which is why the 15 lbs. came back.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    instead of hi-jacking someone's post, I'll start my own. Who can recommend the best exercise for weight loss? I need examples, talk to me like I'm gym dumb...
    Exercise isn't for weight loss. It's for fitness and health. One could exercise their heart out on a daily basis, but if they still eat more than they burn, they won't lose weight, they'll gain weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It depends on your point of view. I eat what I've always eaten and added 500 calories of exercise a day for my deficit. I realize I COULD eat more and ruin it but I haven't changed my diet. I've changed my activity to create the deficit.

The problem with that, is if a person is not actually monitoring what they eat and their non-exercise activity what usually happens is they eat a little more and move a little less overall resulting in that deficit being eaten up very easily.

Could a person create their deficit through exercise? Sure, but they still need to track what they eat somehow.

Is it easier to create a deficit through exercise? Not really since the vast majority of the calories most people burn through the day are from their BMR. It is far easier to create a deficit through dealing with the Calorie In portion of the equation, or some combination of exercise and calorie restriction.

Exercise is primarily for 1) Health to strengthen muscles and bones. 2) To retain muscle mass. Thus a combination of cardio and strength training is ideal.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Right. It depends on how you look at it. You exercise to be healthy. I exercise to lose weight.

I understand that I COULD eat enough to ruin it but that doesn't mean that my exercise isn't creating a deficit.

• eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Either a calorie is a calorie or it's not. One calorie used in exercise is exactly the same as one less consumed calorie. What one cannot do, I agree, is to lose track of the overall equation to achieve the desired result (either a deficit, a balance or a surplus).
  • rileysowner
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Right. It depends on how you look at it. You exercise to be healthy. I exercise to lose weight.

I understand that I COULD eat enough to ruin it but that doesn't mean that my exercise isn't creating a deficit.

As long as you are keeping track of calories in, it can work. In the summer when I cycle a lot, 2-3 hours about 4-5 days a week, it can be difficult to meet the calorie demand if I am eating filling foods and don't incorporate extra calorie dense foods. When that happens I lose weight largely because of the extra calorie burn from cycling. In the winter, unless we have significant snow which we have not this year, cross country skiing does much the same for me. However, neither time do I look to the exercise for losing. I look to what I am eating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options

Weight loss happens when you're in a deficiency of energy...ie you're consuming less energy (calories) than you expend. You expend energy 24/7...most of your energy expenditure is you merely existing...then you expend more energy going about your day to day. Regular exercise has the benefit of a bit of increased energy expenditure beyond those other two things which can make maintaining a deficit easier and more manageable and gives you a bit more margin for errors...but exercise in and of itself isn't what causes weight loss or burns fat...it's the energy deficiency that does that.

As exercise goes, do something you enjoy that you will stick to consistently over time...any movement is a good thing...there is no "best"

There are a lot of people, including myself who maintain weight and exercise on the regular...I maintain my weight because I eat to a level that is commensurate with my overall activity, including exercise...if exercise was simply for losing weight then maintainers wouldn't be maintaining with regular exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    edited February 2017
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The other way to look at this though is that with increased activity, your TDEE is higher...thus you with diet remaining constant, you're eating at a deficit for your overall activity level as you have not compensated for your diet...it's 6 of 1 really...technically with added exercise and no change in diet, you're eating in a deficit.

Also, there tends to be a notion, which can be interpreted in the OPs question that a particular exercise is responsible for burning fat or losing weight...a lot of people think they're burning the fat with the actual exercise and that's not really how it works...you're ultimately burning the fat by taking in less energy than you expend regardless of the particular exercise you are doing to increase energy expenditure...so there is no "best" really. "Best" would be something you enjoy that will be done on a consistent basis.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It's semantics. At some point we are arguing just to be right vs trying to help. Both cals in and exercise have their role in one's calorie balance.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Weight loss happens when you're in a deficiency of energy...ie you're consuming less energy (calories) than you expend. You expend energy 24/7...most of your energy expenditure is you merely existing...then you expend more energy going about your day to day. Regular exercise has the benefit of a bit of increased energy expenditure beyond those other two things which can make maintaining a deficit easier and more manageable and gives you a bit more margin for errors...but exercise in and of itself isn't what causes weight loss or burns fat...it's the energy deficiency that does that.

As exercise goes, do something you enjoy that you will stick to consistently over time...any movement is a good thing...there is no "best"

There are a lot of people, including myself who maintain weight and exercise on the regular...I maintain my weight because I eat to a level that is commensurate with my overall activity, including exercise...if exercise was simply for losing weight then maintainers wouldn't be maintaining with regular exercise.

This is probably the best answer here. I wish I had written it.
  • cwolfman13
    edited February 2017
    Options

4.5 years ago when I was starting out, I realized that I was very sedentary...personally, I put my focus on just moving more...I ignored fitness industry marketing about doing this or that, or X, Y, or Z are best, etc...I just focused on moving more.

Quite frankly, I was so out of shape that a quick trip around the block with my dog on a daily basis was enough to leave me winded and ready for a nap...like all of a couple of miles...but I did that, day in and day out for about a month and increased my mileage over that time...then I decided I wanted to run a 5K so I signed up for one and started a C25K program and followed that and continued with my walking.

After a few months I decided it was time to get back into the weight room...so I did and for the first time ever I followed a structured program. Fast forward a year and I was training for a sprint triathlon which I never ended up doing because of an injury, but there I was...when I first started, I couldn't have imagined myself doing anything like that in my wildest dreams.

Moral of the story...it was all beneficial in helping me with my weight management objectives...being rather out of shape and taking it slow helped me to develop my fitness over time and substantially decreased my risk of injury...it also made it easier to be compliant and consistent because I wasn't working beyond my current fitness means and burning out...all of that is important to both you're weight management objectives as well as fitness development.

For what it's worth, I have more difficulty losing weight when I'm doing intensive training than just doing some regular light to moderate exercise as I find it more difficult to control calories when I'm training due to performance and recovery suffering.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    It's semantics. At some point we are arguing just to be right vs trying to help. Both cals in and exercise have their role in one's calorie balance.

it's not semantics tho...there are those who can't exercise or don't and still lose weight.

Yes exercise can increase your deficit and allow you to eat more food but that being said if you follow MFP you should be eating all those exercise calories back because the general assumption is that people don't, won't or can't exercise and in order for them to lose weight you just need to eat less.

So again.

Not semantics.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

what happens if you can't exercise anymore???? what then?
  • ogtmama
    Options
    Then I COULD choose to lose through diet, if I so wished. In the meantime I CHOOSE to create my deficit through eating as usual and exercising more.
  • jjpptt2
    edited February 2017
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

it's not semantics tho...there are those who can't exercise or don't and still lose weight.

Yes exercise can increase your deficit and allow you to eat more food but that being said if you follow MFP you should be eating all those exercise calories back because the general assumption is that people don't, won't or can't exercise and in order for them to lose weight you just need to eat less.

So again.

Not semantics.

That wasn't my point.

If you watch how much you eat and you exercise... which is causing the deficit and the subsequent weight loss is semantics.

Oh the opposite side of the equation...
    If I eat my maintenance cals in oreos, then have a protein shake that puts me over my cals... is that protein shake causing my weight gain? Semantics.
  • SezxyStef
    edited February 2017
    Options

So again.

Not semantics.

So again.

Not semantics.

That wasn't my point.

If you watch how much you eat and exercise... which is causing the deficit and the subsequent weight loss is semantics.

If I eat my maintenance cals in oreos, then have a protein shake that puts me over my cals... is that protein shake causing my weight gain? Semantics.

And this is the point you are missing.

MFP runs on NEAT...meaning that it gives you the calories you need to lose weight without exercise...you then log your exercise and (given numbers are correct) you eat back all of the exercise calories you burned...

So if you are using NEAT correctly the exercise is not creating a deficit.

That is not semantics for this discussion.

For those of us who exercise for health and fitness it's not semantics either...we exercise not to lose weight but for health and fitness.

• jjpptt2
    Options
    yes dear.
  • ogtmama
    Options

So again.

Not semantics.

So again.

Not semantics.

That wasn't my point.

If you watch how much you eat and exercise... which is causing the deficit and the subsequent weight loss is semantics.

MFP runs on NEAT...meaning that it gives you the calories you need to lose weight without exercise...you then log your exercise and (given numbers are correct) you eat back all of the exercise calories you burned...

For those of us who exercise for health and fitness it's not semantics either...we exercise not to lose weight but for health and fitness.

Why does it bother you so much that people see it differently than you? It is semantics. Create a deficit and you will lose weight whether it's on the CI or the CO side of the equation.

I exercise to lose weight. And it's working.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Then I COULD choose to lose through diet, if I so wished. In the meantime I CHOOSE to create my deficit through eating as usual and exercising more.

right...but some don't have that choice...hence exericse is not a requirement to lose weight and it is not recommended that you do it just through exercise as you are not learning how to deal with a deficit from your normal habits...ie creating new habits that will help you maintain your weight loss...

I knwo cause I did what you are doing...ate as normal and exercised...lost the weight...gained it back...it was one of my many yo yo's.
  • ogtmama
    edited February 2017
    Options

right...but some don't have that choice...hence exericse is not a requirement to lose weight and it is not recommended that you do it just through exercise as you are not learning how to deal with a deficit from your normal habits...ie creating new habits that will help you maintain your weight loss...

I knwo cause I did what you are doing...ate as normal and exercised...lost the weight...gained it back...it was one of my many yo yo's.

Well as we know from these boards what works for you must work for me.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

So again.

Not semantics.

So again.

Not semantics.

That wasn't my point.

Why does it bother you so much that people see it differently than you? It is semantics. Create a deficit and you will lose weight whether it's on the CI or the CO side of the equation.

I exercise to lose weight. And it's working.

what makes you think I am bothered at all...this is an internet forum. I am debating the merits of the requirement of exercise to lose weight...and since you don't need exercise to lose weight it doesn't matter if you do see if differently.

I think it's funny the advice people give to others based on what they do instead of giving well round advice that applies to the majority not the minority...