Crossfit, counting calories, no weight loss!

Options

Replies

• matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I guess I was confused because half of you are simply counting calories and swear by it and half of you are weighing your food by grams and swear by it, and I assume both ways are working.....?
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Definitely weigh the food and then underestimate the calories burned from exercise.
  • matchbox_girl
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I recently started a beginner crossfit class once a week. Some workouts are intense, but the intensity is so short. Maybe it's different at your gym, but our WODs never take more then 15-20 minutes. A lot of times they are less than 10min. Even if it's all out for 20 minutes I just don't see that I'm burning that many calories. I'm no expert though. I'm sure the advanced classes burn way more calories. But seeing as you just started...

It just may be a reason why you are not losing as much weight as you think you should. It really comes down to what goes on in the kitchen. You can easily wipe out a deficit created by exercising in a few minutes. Crackers, pop tarts, etc. - those calories add up fast!

Our classes are an hour long and they don't separate beginners from advance, you just scale what you can't do 100%. I think it's definitely the food.

I saw 1,312 calories from exercise yesterday. No way I'd get this from CrossFit. Yes, the classes last an hour, but you are not full out working out for an hour. There's a 15 minute warmup, strength training, and then the WOD. Only count the WOD. I do 12 calories per minute for the length of the workout. And that may be a little high, but it works since I don't count the warmup and strength training. 20 minute WOD = 240. 10 minutes = only 120. Unless you ran a half marathon, I don't think 1,312 is correct.

Yes, I don't log it, my fitbit does and I already assume it's off most the time. Hence why I still try to stay under 2,000 regardless of "exercise calories." It also logs when I'm on my feet all day as well, so that was an entire day's worth of exercise cals.
  • matchbox_girl
    Options
    So for example, you log what you think is a 200g steak. Or 4oz (arbitrary numbers I've picked from thin air). But if you've never actually put a steak on a scale, how do you know what either of those look like in reality? A medium potato might seem like a good fit when you're having a baked potato. But what is a medium baked potato. Your medium might be my large and vice versa. A scale takes away all that guess work.

And by making smarter food choices, you will get to eat plenty. Fewer calorie dense items, more nutrient dense ones to keep you fuller and satisfied and it will help you fit in treats too. It's a sharp learning curve but worth it.

True! Thank you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm still confused, I'm sorry. Everyone says I'm not tracking correctly but how else do I track the calories in, say, 20 saltine crackers? A serving is five, and there are a certain amount of calories in that serving. Therefore, I add four servings to my diary. I leave nothing out, ever. 15 pop tart binges and all....

The most accurate thing to do would be to weigh them. Also, are you verifying your database choices with the packaging? There are numerous erroneous entries in the database. Are you accounting for any and all cooking oils...beverages, etc...

You have to remember that the difference between maintaining your weight and losing weight is a mere handful of calories...If I want to lose 1 Lb per week, a 2 oz serving of almonds that goes unaccounted for would cut my deficit by roughly 2/3...so instead of a 500 calorie deficit I would have a 180 calorie deficit...

Beyond that, it is difficult to be 100% accurate...even registered dietitians have logging issues...ultimately it comes down to real world results...if you're eating XXXX (or think you are) but not losing...time to cut back on XXXX because the real world data tells you so.
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I guess I was confused because half of you are simply counting calories and swear by it and half of you are weighing your food by grams and swear by it, and I assume both ways are working.....?

Counting calories when done correctly = weighing food
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    To accurately count calories you need to weigh the food. Its kind of like guessing how much $ you have in the bank and hoping your debit card works each time you swipe it.

I have bagels I eat in the morning. They're precut, so 1 bagel is a top half and bottom half. I typically eat one 'half' and a banana in the morning. The package says 1 bagel = 250 calories, 90 grams. When I weigh my 'half' sometimes it is 43 and sometimes it is 60. It varies. If I log 1/2 bagel =125 calories, my log is only accurate if the bagel half actually weighed 45. If its 60, its more like 167 calories. This morning's banana was 111 grams. Sunday I had a huge banana, where I had about half of it: for 88 grams. If I assume they are always the same, it won't be accurate.

If you are guessing/estimating and not losing weight then one thing you can do is improve your accuracy.

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Carbs make me hungry. Back when I was desperate to gain weight, I ate saltines and drank Slim Fast, because both are packed with calories, and have plenty of carbs to keep me wanting to eat more.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

It's the same thing! You only know what calories are in something when you can accurately quantify how much of the thing you are looking at. I'll take my bread and the pack says "serving size 2 slices (2oz) 140 cals" and I'll toss the two piece of bread on the scale to make sure those particular 2 slices are indeed 2oz. I know it sounds really anal and difficult but once you sort of get into it and get control it becomes a tool you are happy to use instead. I have a little mechanical scale and use the ounces measurement which are not as fine as grams but this is the scale I have and so far so good. I also even sometimes use cups to measure. I'm sure both of these are considered a but loosey goosey but I am making progress and will get a new scale and go to grams if I have to as evidenced by stalled loss.
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add something that wasn't mentioned - in addition to getting a kitchen scale also get a tape measure. Both of you measure your chest, waist, and hips regularly every 2 or 4 weeks. (hint for women wear a bra when measuring chest). If you are both exercising consistently you should be toning up. A tape measure is a better tracker of progress than a bathroom scale IMO.

MFP allows you to track these measurements along with your weight but so few take advantage of it. Personally I like having these measurements handy when online clothes shopping. Losing pounds is nice but losing inches is freaking fantastic!