How long do you spend at the gym?

Options

Replies

• razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do 4 sessions a week Mon, wed, Friday and sunday and usually spend 2-2.5 hours a day, I do 300 calories on the bike then a few weight machines, 400 calories on the crosstrainer then more weights and then finish on the power mill until I cant move my legs lol usually around 600-700 calories
  • CaitKilla
    CaitKilla Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm doing there. Sometimes I'll have 30 minute treadmill sessions, other times I'm on there for an hour or more. Some other times when I have a lot of time on my hands, I'll do some core/abs and muscle work in addition.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I generally can fit in 2 lifting sessions a week, and I'm there for about 75 minutes (this includes warm-up, lifting, resting).

I can normally fit in 2 pole sessions a week, and those are 60-75 minute sessions. It just depends on my warm-up and how annoying my cat is being.

Cardio is done as a light warm up to lifting, meaning walking on treadmill for 5-10 minutes, and doing simple spins on the pole to help warm me and the pole up.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I lift three days a week (at home). Each workout takes me about 45 minutes. I don't waste any time at all though.
  • NoAnalHere
    NoAnalHere Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise as much as I should but for the people doing 1+ hours lifting.. How? What's your routine and how long are your breaks in between? I do a 45 min lifting program but I'm done in 25 minutes. Maybe there should be a lifting for dummies (me) because I can't fathom what's happening in these 1+ routines lol
  • DevilsFan1
    Options
    NoAnalHere wrote: »
    I don't exercise as much as I should but for the people doing 1+ hours lifting.. How? What's your routine and how long are your breaks in between? I do a 45 min lifting program but I'm done in 25 minutes. Maybe there should be a lifting for dummies (me) because I can't fathom what's happening in these 1+ routines lol

If you're doing programs with compound lifts like deadlifts. presses and squats, you can't complete those in 25 minutes. If you're pushing yourself, each heavy set requires at least three minutes of rest.
  • NoAnalHere
    Options
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »

If you're doing programs with compound lifts like deadlifts. presses and squats, you can't complete those in 25 minutes. If you're pushing yourself, each heavy set requires at least three minutes of rest.

I don't feel like I'm pushing myself while lifting. I'm increasing the weight weekly but I think I need more compound lifts in my life. I haven't done deadlifts but I have done presses and squats. I don't feel it until the day afterwards but during is kinda meh and quick. Thanks for letting me know!
  • DevilsFan1
    Options

I don't feel like I'm pushing myself while lifting. I'm increasing the weight weekly but I think I need more compound lifts in my life. I haven't done deadlifts but I have done presses and squats. I don't feel it until the day afterwards but during is kinda meh and quick. Thanks for letting me know!

What lifting program are you doing?
  • ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    45 - 60 mins weight training 6x week(mornings)
    4 bodypart split:
    Chest/Tri's, Back/Bi's, Shoulders, Legs(sometimes I'll do quads & hams on different days) - Rest day - Repeat

40 - 50 mins Cardio 2x week(evenings)
  • NoAnalHere
    Options

I'm doing Starting Strength without deadlifts and adding Kettle Ball swing + chest press + hip abductor (spelling?) three times a week. (when I'm doing the routine)
  • DevilsFan1
    Options

I'm doing Starting Strength without deadlifts and adding Kettle Ball swing + chest press + hip abductor (spelling?) three times a week. (when I'm doing the routine)

Deadlifts are my favorite lift! They're the best test for overall strength. I highly recommend you add them. :)
  • NoAnalHere
    Options

Deadlifts are my favorite lift! They're the best test for overall strength. I highly recommend you add them. :)

I haven't done them because their inconvenient. That's the only exercise in the routine where I have to pick up a weight from the floor lol. And my handgrip is awkward. [ I know that I'm making excuses lol I generally dislike the whole hassle] but I'll add some deadlifts!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    My squats take me about 20 minutes... warm up is 3 ladder sets from about 50% of my working weight... when you start to approach your max longer rests between sets is a necessity... on off days I 1/2 my working weight and double the reps
    then your waiting on a bench or talking to the hot chicks

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    30 mins cardio 30 mins weight lifting. And 1 hour Bootcamp 3 days a week.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    10 minutes of warm up on the treadmill
    50 minutes of lifting
    30-40 minutes of running or cardio

I do this three times a week so it's a total of 90 minutes three times a week.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Many days I have all 3 compound lifts in the same day. On a day I bench, squat, and deadlift, all 3 lifts will be using different rep ranges. Across and 8 week block I start with lighter weight, and then the intensity (weight increases). So if I'm squatting my top set at 200lbs for the day...I'll squat the bar, 95, 135, 155, 175, 185, and then might hit a single at 195 before I even START my squats for the day. Then I might need a 3-5 minute break between sets and I might do 3-5 sets.

Then I still have to bench and deadlift.
  • NoAnalHere
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Many days I have all 3 compound lifts in the same day. On a day I bench, squat, and deadlift, all 3 lifts will be using different rep ranges. Across and 8 week block I start with lighter weight, and then the intensity (weight increases). So if I'm squatting my top set at 200lbs for the day...I'll squat the bar, 95, 135, 155, 175, 185, and then might hit a single at 195 before I even START my squats for the day. Then I might need a 3-5 minute break between sets and I might do 3-5 sets.

Wooah wait. I'm still a noob when it comes to lifting lingo(and lifting) I know the compound lifts and understand warm ups beforehand. When you're saying a 8 week block do you mean you stay at those example weights for 8 weeks? Why do you do all of that before starting your squats for the day? Is that your warm up? And then you do 3-5 sets at 200? How many times a week do you lift if your doing 3 compound lifts in a day? I can understand how that'd take up a lot of time. I just didn't imagine people do that? Lol
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Wooah wait. I'm still a noob when it comes to lifting lingo(and lifting) I know the compound lifts and understand warm ups beforehand. When you're saying a 8 week block do you mean you stay at those example weights for 8 weeks? Why do you do all of that before starting your squats for the day? Is that your warm up? And then you do 3-5 sets at 200? How many times a week do you lift if your doing 3 compound lifts in a day? I can understand how that'd take up a lot of time. I just didn't imagine people do that? Lol

I work in blocks for a few reasons...at the moment I'll be competing in 8 weeks. To prep for a powerlifting competition you do something called peaking, then taper and deload. Basically I start adding volume for 4 weeks (weight, sets, reps), then back off the sets and reps and add weight.

I would run phases/mesocycles like this regardless because once you are no longer a noob, you cannot lift as well in a linear fashion like 5x5. I simply cannot add 5lbs to my squat every workout. Sets and reps vary throughout the week, some days are lighter in the 8 rep range, some days I literally just do a few sets of heavy doubles.

I squat 3x per week, deadlift 2x, bench 3-4x. Two days out of the week I do them all in the same day.

Yes, that is my warm up. You don't walk up to a bar, throw 200 lbs on it, and start lifting. You have to work your way up to your working sets for the day. So I would do the same for deadlifts. Today my working sets were 215. I deadlifted straight leg the bar, 135, 175, 185, 195, a single at 205, then started my deadlifts for the day.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

When I'm in longer than an hour, it's because either the volume assigned for the day is just that high. Or, frequently, I'm starting to move towards a meet and the weights are heavy. Also, if I know that there are going to be x number of people in my flight at the meet, then I'll start using a rest period closer to what I know will be in the meet.