1200 calories-no weight loss

Options
Hi friends,
today is my one month on fitnesspal. I consume 1100-1200 calories a day and then exercise 20-30 minutes on elliptical. I have not lost any weight, not a single pound and I am so upset now. I have always been eating less and certainly not a food lover. any suggestions as to what am I doing wrong here. I am 33, a mother of two girls, 5"7' and weigh 180 pounds. please help:(

Replies

• isra2011
    isra2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do have thyroid issues and i take medicine for that. Maybe thats why its taking long for me to lose weight.
  • isra2011
    Options
    I am not gonna give up. atleast my hanging belly is not so hanging anymore...:) thanks ladies!
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You can do it!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food on a food scale?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP: When was the last time you had your thyroid levels checked?

Once you are properly medication for an underactive thyroid, you can pretty much expect to lose weight like a 'normal' person. The medication simply levels the playing field.

Otherwise - just like everyone else - you need to make certain your food intake is being accurately measured because chances are you're actually eating more than you think.

Also, going as low as 1100 - 1200 calories per day is neither necessary nor sustainable, especially if you are exercising on top of that and not eating at least some of those 'extra' calories. :)
  • isra2011
    Options
    yes, I do have a food scale and I weigh every thing that goes in my mouth.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Im hypothyroid and it took me a little over a month to see any results. I am JUST NOW losing weight. I started trying Jan 3rd! But now its like it is pouring off. Keep working at it and dont give up. Some people see results in a few days, others take longer. It can take up to 4-6 weeks to see any results with a new routine! Its a discouraging 4-6 weeks, but as long as you keep it in mind and keep fighting, it will happen.
  • isra2011
    Options
    last time I got my thyroid checked was in December and doctor put me at levothyroxine 50 mg for 3 months. will get it checked again in March. but as someone said it plays a little role when it comes to lose weight so I cant fully blame thyroid for that. its gotta be what I eat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    isra2011 wrote: »
    Hi friends,
    today is my one month on fitnesspal. I consume 1100-1200 calories a day and then exercise 20-30 minutes on elliptical. I have not lost any weight, not a single pound and I am so upset now. I have always been eating less and certainly not a food lover. any suggestions as to what am I doing wrong here. I am 33, a mother of two girls, 5"7' and weigh 180 pounds. please help:(

What our weight does is always the result of how much we are eating. Since you are not losing weight you are eating at maintenance which means, setting aside any medical conditions that need attention, you are eating more than you realize.

How are you determining that you are accurate in calories in/calories out?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar boat, and realized I needed to track EVERY SINGLE BITE. I do have a thyroid condition, and now that that's under control, I'm losing regularly. I lowered my calorie goal, and try to stay between 1000 and 1200 daily now. You can do it!

Even with a thyroid condition, between 1,000 and 1,200 is too low. Minimum for women is 1200 calories.

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    So weird question - and maybe someone already asked this - but if you, by your own claim, aren't a food lover then how did you get to be in a position where you aren't happy with your weight? I got be my in my situation because I over ate and couldn't control myself.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    isra2011 wrote: »
    I am not gonna give up. atleast my hanging belly is not so hanging anymore...:) thanks ladies!

But you haven't lost any weight?!?!?
  • isra2011
    Options
    where I am now is because of the carbs. I used to eat less (portion wise) but always carbs and didn't realize they make you gain weight. now that I am logging everything I am realizing how much carbs and sugar I used to consume in those portions.
  • isra2011
    Options
    well all I can say after your comments is that I wasn't realizing my calorie intake. I was eating more and not calculating at all before Jan 8. I am 180 because I wasn't eating right but not losing anything in 4 weeks is also discouraging... no? when should I start seeing difference? another month maybe?