Intermittent Fasting Results PICS?

Options
Tretop76
Tretop76 Posts: 256 Member
I want to know if anyone has been doing IF long term and if so please share your before and after photos, as well as stories.
Also, has anyone alternated IF for one day then normal eating for the next day, with success and etc? How'd that work for you?
I'm just curious because my doctor keeps telling me IF would be good for me. I've had a VERY slow metabolism because of different health issues. I'm kind of scared to really follow through with IF.

Replies

• killindafat
    killindafat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I havent done it myself but i have heard of great results from the people that have done it. Dont be scared, i say give it a shot. Everybody is different and it could really work for you. Youll never know until you try!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is just calories in vs. calories out. Meal timing doesn't effect weight loss but it does help some people be more consistent. If one on the IF protocols helps you stay within goal then it will help you lose weight.

Here are a couple groups for more info

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
  • JoanaTR
    JoanaTR Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have started IF 2 months ago. Have lost 15lbs and am now starting exercising too. I have noticed that after 3 days my body started getting used to go without eating and now I feel a lot less hunger and have less cravings. First week I did 8/16 hours now I do 5 or 6 sometimes even 4 and feel great. I am 254lbs currently and was on a diet eating 5 smaller meals a day and exercising for 1 hour everyday but it wasn't working. I actually gained 2lbs for those 2 months and after much research I decided to try IF. So happy I did. I feel more energetic as well (very surprised about this after years hearing that if u don't eat breakfast you won't have energy to exercise). I started HIIT (high intensity interval training) because one of my friends been doing it for 2 months and she lost quite a bit of weight. Hiit is very good for speeding up the metabolism (I have very slow metabolism).
  • go_fast
    go_fast Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like the theory behind IF or 5-2 which is what I'm doing. 5 days of responsible eating (i.e.-calorie counting) then 2 days of "fasting" which involves only eating 25% of your daily recommended calories, I know, not really fasting.
    The theory is that early man only ate what he could kill or cultivate. In winter there was not much food and man basically went through long periods of fasting.
    Whatever, all I know is it's working for me.
  • Tretop76
    Options
    go_fast wrote: »
    I like the theory behind IF or 5-2 which is what I'm doing. 5 days of responsible eating (i.e.-calorie counting) then 2 days of "fasting" which involves only eating 25% of your daily recommended calories, I know, not really fasting.
    The theory is that early man only ate what he could kill or cultivate. In winter there was not much food and man basically went through long periods of fasting.
    Whatever, all I know is it's working for me.

I think I'm actually accidentally doing the 5/2 ratio now lol. I barely got 1000 calories yesterday.

Thanks everyone for your input, really helps. Even the cons ;)
  • Tretop76
    Options
    I havent done it myself but i have heard of great results from the people that have done it. Dont be scared, i say give it a shot. Everybody is different and it could really work for you. Youll never know until you try!

That's so true! Thank you for the encouragement. ;)
  • Tretop76
    Options
    Omg!!! Wow! That's awesome! Thank you for sharing your story @IremiaRe!
  • Tretop76
    Options
    Sounds just like me! I hate anilyzing my food. It breaks you down mentally. Thanks for the insight!
  • howatjake
    howatjake Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    IF is good if you do it right. You don't have to go crazy with the hours, eat less, or any of that. I'm 18 now and I just do it because it's easier with my morning class schedule (in college). I fast from when I wake up to about lunch time (anywhere from 6-9 hours of fasting) and then I eat a high carb and high protein lunch or something of that matter to fuel my body before I worked out. I would then swim for about 2-3 hours (I'm a swimmer), and then go home and have a high protein meal with other stuff that I think is healthy. One tip I recommend is that you don't fast for a crazy amount of time and then workout on an empty stomach. I have done this before and nearly ruined myself. I would say that just doing what you can for now will be the best for you. But in the end, I do recommend IF. I end the days eating less calories so I burn fat and I'm used to it now so I'm not even hungry until right around my first meal.
  • lavender51
    lavender51 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I first heard about intermittant fasting and "eating windows" it was on a TV programme where a doctor recommended it to someone who was overweight, unfit and prediabetic I think. He advised them to gradually lengthen the time inbetween supper on one day and breakfast on the next and to eat a healthy diet.

It worked for them and they lost weightand felt better. Since breakfast time is the only time of day that I don't crave food I decided to try it. Nowadays I don't eat before 11 or 12 and finish eating by 7. Not set in stone, but I've found it helps me keep within my calorie allowance.

Previously I used to eat breakfast because I thought it was the healthy to do so not because I wanted it.

Thank you for sharing your story too @IremiaRe! You've done great!
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't do IF anymore but when I did it worked. Not because its better than say a normal caloric deficit but when I first started I was an over eater. The thing that helped me with that was the feeling of being full. So if I timed my calories to be complete around the end of the day it gave me that full feeling. However try it out and see if its a diet you believe you can stick with.

"Take home messages
    -Intermittent fasting is a dietary approach heavily promoted to the athletic community to achieve and maintain a very lean, strong physique. However, there is currently no scientific evidence supporting these claims.
    -In the scientific literature, intermittent fasting with caloric restriction often yields equivalent benefits as traditional low-calorie diets in regard to changes in fat mass, alleviating discomfort due to low energy, improving insulin sensitivity, and improving blood lipid profiles.
    -The most effective weight loss plans and healthy life styles are ones that can be maintained, and these habits are not the same for everyone. If intermittent fasting is appealing, give it full effort for a few weeks before evaluating success or failure of that approach.
    -There are numerous webpages promoting different diet plans online (see “More information”). These are good places to get information about what has worked for other people and to get community support."

From http://easacademy.org/trainer-resources/article/intermittent-fasting

Not too many studies done on IF and this isn't the best piece of literature on the subject, just something I found quick using googlefu.
  • Melemur
    Melemur Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do fast like 2 days a week but I do mostly low carb meals the rest of the day
  • Tretop76
    Options
    Thanks for all that info fiends! You have helped me out tremendously! Muah!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!