1200 calories-no weight loss

Options

Replies

• Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I can't say anything that nobody else has, but I would like to place emphasis on the calories. You should never aim below 1200. According to your stats and assumed energy level with kids and working out every day, your TDEE is about 2130. You really should not be shaving more than 20% off of your TDEE, which comes out to about 1700. If you cut too much it will not be sustainable and you will be very prone to gaining it all back and binging...
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    dodea48 wrote: »
    There is some good advise, some questionable, and some unnecessarily rude. Say what you mean, but do not say it mean. People who are rude on the internet are generally cowards. Being insulting towards women when you are not face to face does not require any courage, strength, intelligence, or integrity. It is wrong face to face as well.
    Carbs are a problem for diets because they add up fast and have very few nutrients, vitamins. If your calorie goal is 1200 and you eat 4 slices of bread and a cup of rice or pasta, then half your goal is carbs and you don't have enough calories left for protein. Also, no one eats just one cup of pasta, unless they have measured it. If your body has changed and you have not lost any weight, maybe your fat % has gone down. --- Do your macros look OK?

Were there comments in this thread which were removed - because reading through it, I'm not seeing any that are rude and certainly not any that I would assume that the person making the statement is cowardly. Being direct, honest, and scientifically factual with information is not being rude.

The "unique snowflake" one (first page)--not that it was necessarily untrue, the delivery was just a bit brusque...
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    valwalter wrote: »
    valwalter - stick with your advisor, A man cannot work out 5 days a week on 1200/day. If you log less than 1200 even MYFITNESS PAL tells me, a man, that I did not eat enough. I think the number might be slightly lower for a woman. The body needs protein to build muscle. Remember Biggest LOSER contestants mostly gained it back--- they has SLOWER metabolisms after the show

dodea48 - I plan on sticking with my advisor - thanks! I lift weights 2 to 3 times a week and I need the fuel.

Eating enough to properly fuel workouts is not what OP was concerned about, though. This isn't an example of eat more to lose less. Yes you need to fuel your workouts, but she isn't concerned about that. She is concerned about why she isn't losing weight. If your adviser is coaching you for work out-based fueling then my apologies but starvation mode doesn't exist like that and OP isn't talking about eating properly before working out she is talking about why she isn't losing weight. Those two things are not the same.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    There is some good advise, some questionable, and some unnecessarily rude. Say what you mean, but do not say it mean. People who are rude on the internet are generally cowards. Being insulting towards women when you are not face to face does not require any courage, strength, intelligence, or integrity. It is wrong face to face as well.
    Carbs are a problem for diets because they add up fast and have very few nutrients, vitamins. If your calorie goal is 1200 and you eat 4 slices of bread and a cup of rice or pasta, then half your goal is carbs and you don't have enough calories left for protein. Also, no one eats just one cup of pasta, unless they have measured it. If your body has changed and you have not lost any weight, maybe your fat % has gone down. --- Do your macros look OK?

Carbohydrates are in all types of foods and some of those foods are quite dense in vitamins. I reject the idea that carbohydrates are a problem for diets. The calories in foods high in fat often add up quickly too, but we don't decide they're a "problem" for that reason. It's just means one will need to log accurately.

I think this post is referencing starchy carbs because a lot of vegetables are rich in carbohydrates but many people forget about that when they say "carbs are bad" "no carbs" "carbs made me fat"

I also agree that carbs are not a problem for diets, portion control (or lack thereof) is a problem for diets.
  • isra2011
    isra2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am still reading your positive comments and feeling motivated. Motivation is all i need. For mean and rude comments, i have my family:) love you guys!!!
  • valwalter
    valwalter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    valwalter - stick with your advisor, A man cannot work out 5 days a week on 1200/day. If you log less than 1200 even MYFITNESS PAL tells me, a man, that I did not eat enough. I think the number might be slightly lower for a woman. The body needs protein to build muscle. Remember Biggest LOSER contestants mostly gained it back--- they has SLOWER metabolisms after the show

dodea48 - I plan on sticking with my advisor - thanks! I lift weights 2 to 3 times a week and I need the fuel.

Eating enough to properly fuel workouts is not what OP was concerned about, though. This isn't an example of eat more to lose less. Yes you need to fuel your workouts, but she isn't concerned about that. She is concerned about why she isn't losing weight. If your adviser is coaching you for work out-based fueling then my apologies but starvation mode doesn't exist like that and OP isn't talking about eating properly before working out she is talking about why she isn't losing weight. Those two things are not the same.

Understood but think of it as a fire - if you don't give the fire wood it slows down and doesn't give off as much heat. Under 1200 calories per day is not fueling your body properly whether you work out or not - metabolisms slows to a crawl so anything you eat your body holds on to it = no weight loss. This is my point.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Understood but think of it as a fire - if you don't give the fire wood it slows down and doesn't give off as much heat. Under 1200 calories per day is not fueling your body properly whether you work out or not - metabolisms slows to a crawl so anything you eat your body holds on to it = no weight loss. This is my point.

But it doesn't actually work like that. If it did, no one would ever die of starvation...

No one is disputing that people need to eat an adequate amount of calories to fuel their daily activities and their exercise. However, your metabolism doesn't slow down to a crawl and you don't stop losing weight by undereating... That's the part of your post that people are disagreeing with. If she isn't losing weight, she is likely eating more calories than she thinks she is eating. She shouldn't be eating less - no one is saying that either. People are saying she needs to get her thyroid condition regulated, and then eat an appropriate amount of calories for her goal and log those calories as accurately as possible.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Think this idea through to the logical conclusion: If not eating enough stops weight loss, how would anyone ever starve to death?

Sadly, we know -- from almost countless examples in history -- that when people don't get enough to eat, they lose weight. They lose weight until their body has consumed as much of itself as it can and then they die. There is no point where your body will somehow run without consuming any energy.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options

If this was true... anorexic people would still be fat. You lose weight at an unhealthy rate and become malnourished when not eating properly. Your body not only loses fat, but also muscle mass.
  • Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

That's not quite how it works. What you're referring to is what people like to call "starvation mode," which is a myth. The only sliver of truth to this is what's called adaptive thermogenesis. Yes, your metabolism slows down, but it is because you are losing weight, not because you are eating less. It is completely natural and that's why you need to constantly change your stats and recalculate your TDEE as you lose weight in order to avoid overeating.

• butcher206
    butcher206 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Were there comments in this thread which were removed - because reading through it, I'm not seeing any that are rude and certainly not any that I would assume that the person making the statement is cowardly. Being direct, honest, and scientifically factual with information is not being rude.

The "unique snowflake" one (first page)--not that it was necessarily untrue, the delivery was just a bit brusque...

Sorry. I just recently started posting and am quickly realizing I should be a little more tactful and more supportive, rather than being so curt and direct. And sorry to the OP as well.

OP, have you seen any episodes from the TV series "Secret Eaters"? It might be eye opening to see how other people fall victim to their own minds; even when they have the best intentions and think they're being honest with themselves, there's ALWAYS something that is happening that is sabotaging the weight loss progress. No one is immune to it, even nutritionists fall victim to it, and I have fallen victim to it as well. For me it was waking up and "sleep walking" and basically eating a ton of stuff then going back to sleep and I didn't even fully realize how bad it was because my mind just shut it out and I completely forgot it happened
  • sweetkisses143
    sweetkisses143 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would track inches my new friend :) I was really upset because in the three weeks I have been calorie counts I have lost 3.5lbs and it keeps fluctuating. One week I gain 1 lb back then next I lose it. I started measuring my waist and the rest of my body and saw inches were lost. I would try that too because the scale is defeating and it lies sometimes lol like people said above it can take 6 weeks for your body to adjust :) Don't give up you can do it!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Tum22 wrote: »
    isra2011 wrote: »
    well all I can say after your comments is that I wasn't realizing my calorie intake. I was eating more and not calculating at all before Jan 8. I am 180 because I wasn't eating right but not losing anything in 4 weeks is also discouraging... no? when should I start seeing difference? another month maybe?

I have heard people say that they don't lose as much if they are exercising and maybe building muscle. Alcohol can also cause water retention. It is frustrating. I have read that if you cut down on carbs and sugar a lot you can eat more maybe 300 calories a day and still lose weight. I know if I cut out sugar a lot and carbs and stick to it I can almost feel my body burning the fat even though I'm not hungry. So for instance if I ate a tin of tuna (about 100 calories) I would not be hungry because it is very filling but would after a while feel weird (a carb or sugar craving) but I think that's the body burning fat. Eating fish and prawns for instance are very filling and low calorie.

I really hope you have some luck soon.

except truly eating 1200 calories a day wont result in enough muscle gain to not lose weight. its hard to build muscle in a deficit. and one that low I doubt you will see any gains
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    where I am now is because of the carbs. I used to eat less (portion wise) but always carbs and didn't realize they make you gain weight. now that I am logging everything I am realizing how much carbs and sugar I used to consume in those portions.

nope...

excess calories make you gain weight.

Even if you have IR issues it still comes down to calorie deficit.
  • isra2011
    isra2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    so 1200 calories and moderate workout can get me where I need to be...I think a little bit of everything caused me to gain weight without realizing.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    GM - isra2011 - did you ever think you are not eating enough? I recently had a body composition test done and indicated to the advisor that I eat roughly 1200 calories per day and without a beat he said you are not eating enough! You body needs those 1200 to function if you are doing absolutely nothing but breathing. He explained that I was putting my body in starvation mode - it's the same as if you didn't have your required water intake for the day how your body holds on the all the liquids. Currently, I work out 5 to 6 days a week for an hour, log absolutely everything (even on cheat days) and the scale wasn't moving for me either, the clothes fit better but the scale didn't move. I've changed up my eating being very mindful of my percentages and have lost 1lb over the past week. Hope this helps some.

You never eat more when you are not already losing. You only increase your calories if you are (1) already losing weight and (2) you want to continue to lose weight but at a slower rate.

A calorie deficit is required to lose weight, so if you are eating more food then you were eating less calories overall.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Tum22 wrote: »
    well all I can say after your comments is that I wasn't realizing my calorie intake. I was eating more and not calculating at all before Jan 8. I am 180 because I wasn't eating right but not losing anything in 4 weeks is also discouraging... no? when should I start seeing difference? another month maybe?

I have heard people say that they don't lose as much if they are exercising and maybe building muscle. Alcohol can also cause water retention. It is frustrating. I have read that if you cut down on carbs and sugar a lot you can eat more maybe 300 calories a day and still lose weight. I know if I cut out sugar a lot and carbs and stick to it I can almost feel my body burning the fat even though I'm not hungry. So for instance if I ate a tin of tuna (about 100 calories) I would not be hungry because it is very filling but would after a while feel weird (a carb or sugar craving) but I think that's the body burning fat. Eating fish and prawns for instance are very filling and low calorie.

I really hope you have some luck soon.

Muscle building does not just happen. People who want to build muscle do so intentionally, and even then it's difficult to do.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

But, even so, a person eating 1200 calories or less will lose weight, and your body does not hold onto weight. Starvation mode is a myth in the way you describe.