13»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    amfmmama wrote: »
    why... I just don't get the no eating after 3 pm... I have never heard of that.

@amfmmama it is a form of IF or Intermittent Fasting. Timing can be a huge factor to enhance weight loss for most all that try it.

IF is a form of calorie counting...timing has no impact on the actual weight loss. Not saying it's not an impact on the person mentally/emotionally but that's it.

Do you not understand you are medically wrong on both points?

IF is done to lower Insulin levels to permit the burning of stored fat and increase one's metabolism so that is why the timing of not eating is critical. Typically IF days are low calorie days but that is not a requirement always.

IF is done by choice by some as they prefer it that way but to say I am medically wrong....yah okay...*note sarcasm*

Based on what I have read There’s no evidence that intermittent fasting will change your insulin levels enough to affect your body composition. IE burn fat

Evidence shows that meal timing is not important

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

The timing issue is the number of hours without eating. If one stops eating at 3PM and did not eat again until 7 am
    that would be an 8/16 IF fast. If the last eating was at 7 pm vs 3 pm it would just be a 12/12 fast would most likely not lower Insulin enough to help much with weight loss but naturally straight CICO would still be in play.

Meal timing I agree will not be the same issue if not doing IF. IF does work when it is worked but it is not the only way to lose pounds we all understand.

IF is just a way to keep calories under TDEE that the person feels comfortable with...

plus boost metabolism and kick out a few ketone if the time spread between the last meal of today and the next meal tomorrow. I will look for the video presentation with graph by Dr. Jason Fung.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I'm hungry just reading this.

Me too, and I just ate!!

OP...meal timing does not matter. All that matters is staying at or just a little below your calorie goal...don't starve yourself, you'll lose too much muscle (and affect your heart, hormones and general health). Not worth it. Eat at least 1500 calories. At least.
  • Jeffrey300050
    Jeffrey300050 Posts: 93 Member
    wow...I eat more than you do...and I am old and a woman.

eat more food. Timing of eating is irrelevant for weight loss...eat at least 1500 a day (I would eat more if I were you as you risk losing muscle mass) when you want it...

HahahahahHH love it!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Oh dear. Why are you eating so little?! You're probably losing a lot of muscle mass too. The timing thing makes no difference, but under eating by that much sounds like a horrible plan.
  • Matt5115
    Matt5115 Posts: 4 Member
    I'd suggest losing 2 lbs a week. So, eat around 2000 or so calories a day, plus working out/cardio to burn another 500 calories, and you'll lose 2 lbs a week. I'd also like to suggest intermittent fasting. It's wonderful and has helped me VERY much.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Matt5115 wrote: »
    I'd suggest losing 2 lbs a week. So, eat around 2000 or so calories a day, plus working out/cardio to burn another 500 calories, and you'll lose 2 lbs a week. I'd also like to suggest intermittent fasting. It's wonderful and has helped me VERY much.

For the amount of weight the original poster has to lose 2 pounds a week is to aggressive. 1 pound a week would be idea, 1.5 would be the absolute maximum to preserve maximum muscle mass.
  • Reignbeaugrace
    Reignbeaugrace Posts: 2 Member
    A newbie here and am so glad to find this blog. In the past, I've maintained a schedule of cardio exercising that deemed highly beneficial with weightloss. In recent months, there have been innumerous stressors ranging from caring for an aging parent to burying a sibling. Being in this slump robs you of energy and I'll admit, the depression caused me to put on some pounds. I decided to start 2017 out right with getting to a more healthier me.

I was told by a trainer that I should not be exercising at all right now, to start off eating whatever I want between 8a-9a and absolutely nothing past 3p. I've never heard such a thing before ever in my life but I'm not a trainer so I don't know. I've tried this and have been unsuccessful, as my stomach begins to hurt with twists and knots alongside severe headaches and nausea that only leaves if I nibble on some crackers or something in the evenings. When I've expressed this, he tells me it's not really happening that it's all a mental thing and then went on to tell me about how another client followed this regiment a month ago and lost close to 30 pounds. I asked them did the other client have the digestive issues when they started, he said no and then went in again to tell me how not only is it a mental thing, it also flows in the vein of making excuses and being lazy. It really hurt my feelings, as I am not a lazy person nor have I ever been. I genuinely want to become healthy. I know that entails hard work but I also have be careful that I'm not doing anything to harm myself in the process.

I googled this regiment and found your blog. Thank you so much, as you're all a wealth of information. I knew something was seriously off with this regiment and am relieved to know my Spidey senses were on point.

Sincerely,
    Reignbeaugrace
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    A newbie here and am so glad to find this blog. In the past, I've maintained a schedule of cardio exercising that deemed highly beneficial with weightloss. In recent months, there have been innumerous stressors ranging from caring for an aging parent to burying a sibling. Being in this slump robs you of energy and I'll admit, the depression caused me to put on some pounds. I decided to start 2017 out right with getting to a more healthier me.

I was told by a trainer that I should not be exercising at all right now, to start off eating whatever I want between 8a-9a and absolutely nothing past 3p. I've never heard such a thing before ever in my life but I'm not a trainer so I don't know. I've tried this and have been unsuccessful, as my stomach begins to hurt with twists and knots alongside severe headaches and nausea that only leaves if I nibble on some crackers or something in the evenings. When I've expressed this, he tells me it's not really happening that it's all a mental thing and then went on to tell me about how another client followed this regiment a month ago and lost close to 30 pounds. I asked them did the other client have the digestive issues when they started, he said no and then went in again to tell me how not only is it a mental thing, it also flows in the vein of making excuses and being lazy. It really hurt my feelings, as I am not a lazy person nor have I ever been. I genuinely want to become healthy. I know that entails hard work but I also have be careful that I'm not doing anything to harm myself in the process.

I googled this regiment and found your blog. Thank you so much, as you're all a wealth of information. I knew something was seriously off with this regiment and am relieved to know my Spidey senses were on point.

Sincerely,
    Reignbeaugrace

I'm glad you trusted your instincts and found the information here helpful - there is a massive amount of woo and broscience prevalent in today's world. Sometimes just simplifying things down to the basics - eat less calories than you burn, focus on a balanced, nutritious diet, and exercise for both fitness and stress relief while getting adequate sleep is all it takes, but it's hard for the weight loss and fitness industry to profit off of that message. Hopefully you also followed through on shedding the 200 lbs that the trainer represents also!

I'm so sorry for your losses, also. Good luck!

• mattwojo613
    mattwojo613 Posts: 2 Member
    Meal timing can play a roll with your insulin. Which can be important. Try to a deficit of 10-15% calorie intake a day when you don't exercise. The days you exercise you should eat equal to or slightly more then your requirements for the day.
  • rileysowner
    Meal timing can play a roll with your insulin. Which can be important. Try to a deficit of 10-15% calorie intake a day when you don't exercise. The days you exercise you should eat equal to or slightly more then your requirements for the day.

Unless a person is diagnosed insulin resistant or diabetic (and I guess PCOS) this is not important.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

Sincerely,
    Reignbeaugrace

I'm so sorry to hear that.

When I lost my mother back in April, I ate at maintenance for months afterwards. I still have a tendency to go to maintenance due to the emotional pain. Your trainer isn't the best to listen to regarding nutrition right now. You can eat from the time you wake up until you go to bed just as long as you're within your calories. I even went as far as meal prep so that I didn't have to think too much about calories and such.

If you want to exercise, try walking or something that you enjoy. I personally did lifting (still do) kickboxing and walking as it helped with that inner pain a little.

I wish you all the best.
  • Trainer_Rob
    Trainer_Rob Posts: 2 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    snikok wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! i will change my diet today :D

Glad to hear that! 3.3 pounds per week is way too much for someone your size to lose. You are losing muscle as well as fat with that rate of loss. What's your goal weight?

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    asinine.
  • Trainer_Rob
    Trainer_Rob Posts: 2 Member
    Wow ! I have never seen so many misinformed individuals on one feed like this before . See this is the problem with fitness and nutrition today . Everyone thinks they are an expert overnight . How about you listen to the app and let it set you at the recomended caloric amount needed to lose 1-2lbs per week . The end !!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Wow ! I have never seen so many misinformed individuals on one feed like this before . See this is the problem with fitness and nutrition today . Everyone thinks they are an expert overnight . How about you listen to the app and let it set you at the recomended caloric amount needed to lose 1-2lbs per week . The end !!

It might be helpful if you could quote the posts that you disagree with in order to engage in further discussion, otherwise it's hard to know which advice you feel is misfirected since there were a lot of view points expressed here. Plus it's an older thread that just got bumped and many people may not recall the general flow of the thread (myself included).
  • rileysowner
    WinoGelato wrote: »

It might be helpful if you could quote the posts that you disagree with in order to engage in further discussion, otherwise it's hard to know which advice you feel is misfirected since there were a lot of view points expressed here. Plus it's an older thread that just got bumped and many people may not recall the general flow of the thread (myself included).

You said that well.