When to up the weight?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    You need a program. Especially if you're bulking. You're spinning your wheels. Intensity and/or volume should be increasing weekly.

I'm not bulking

It's especially important during a recomp. Progressive overload is the key to the equation and having a program that will address the requirement will be crucial. And one of the biggest mistakes is following inadequate programs. Since you don't have a knowledge base on programming, it would be advisable to follow a proven one.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I'm going to purchase a program through a lady I found online
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You need a program. Especially if you're bulking. You're spinning your wheels. Intensity and/or volume should be increasing weekly.

I'm not bulking

Sorry, this used to be the "gaining weight" forum. It changed names and I forgot.

Still, even more/just as important for progressive overload during a recomp. Otherwise...what are you doing?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Whats the program? Maybe we can look at it prior to give you some feedback. Have you looked into StrongCurves, NROL4W or Thinner Leaner Stronger?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

What does this lady know about you? Your goals? Does she know your 1rms, 5rms? Does the program focus on hypertrophy or strength? Does it take into account your lifestyle, the equipment you have access to? Is she available by text/skype for questions?
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    You really shouldn't be lifting the same weight/reps/sets each week. You need progressive overload, which can be adjusted by adding intensity or volume.

Can you give me a example please?

Basically either up your weight every week or up the number of reps you do every week, or do some combination of both. Even if you don't have a spotter, you should be squatting in a cage so that if you do fail there's something there to catch you

We just have a bench and I'm just using the barbell. So I'm trying not to go to heavy until we can get the cage bought.

Don't lift with out some sort of safety. While you're waiting for your rack spend $20 and build this -
    http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Saw-Horse

Easy to build and could save you from some serious injury. Personally I'd just use 2x4's instead of ripping the 2x6s in half.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    No need to pay for a lady to write you a program. Plenty of good free ones available online.
  • Famof72015
    Options
    She was going to figure out my macros, and build me a workout program. With weekly checkins via skype. Weekly measuring and weigh ins. Viewing FaceTime of my workout equipment. Phone number.

But I'll check out the programs you all posted first. Not sure about the macro part though?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    macros: MFP does it for you, or you can adjust it yourself.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    She was going to figure out my macros, and build me a workout program. With weekly checkins via skype. Weekly measuring and weigh ins. Viewing FaceTime of my workout equipment. Phone number.

But I'll check out the programs you all posted first. Not sure about the macro part though?

it sounds like you are trying to hire a coach to compete and help you with nutrition and lifting?

which is fine- but on line coaching is risky.

Can you help us out here- what specifically are your goals? It sounds a lot like you're going to lose money when you absolutely have free tools available to you right now.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

it sounds like you are trying to hire a coach to compete and help you with nutrition and lifting?

Can you help us out here- what specifically are your goals? It sounds a lot like you're going to lose money when you absolutely have free tools available to you right now.

Unless it's @SideSteel . He is fairly knowledge.

In all seriousness OP, I can program all of your nutrition stuff and that is free. I break out calories, macros and even discuss dietary strategies. And if you want good programming, there many free options or even books that would provide to a variety of options, which are good as a starting point. And often will provide you equal or even better results than many online trainers.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

In all seriousness OP, I can program all of your nutrition stuff and that is free. I break out calories, macros and even discuss dietary strategies. And if you want good programming, there many free options or even books that would provide to a variety of options, which are good as a starting point. And often will provide you equal or even better results than many online trainers.

Your check is in the mail.

;)

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Of course unless it's @SideSteel

But we are bias here ;)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Of course unless it's @SideSteel

But we are bias here ;)

Your shill bucks are being wired via PayPal, Ty

;)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

From what I gather from the OP's previous postings, it sounds like she would like more in depth guidance, basically - eat this, do this program etc.. to take the guess work out of everything especially since she is short on time. Also someone to be on top of her to keep her accountable. Some people prefer to be told what to do, given homework so the don't have to spent time thinking about all that and can focus on other things. Am I right @Famof72015 ? Just make sure the coach is reputable, worth your money and giving you the results you desire.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

From what I gather from the OP's previous postings, it sounds like she would like more in depth guidance, basically - eat this, do this program etc.. to take the guess work out of everything especially since she is short on time. Also someone to be on top of her to keep her accountable. Some people prefer to be told what to do, given homework so the don't have to spent time thinking about all that and can focus on other things. Am I right @Famof72015 ? Just make sure the coach is reputable, worth your money and giving you the results you desire.

I like the post above, lots of people are looking for that type of scenario if they could at least to get started.
  • Famof72015
    Options

You nailed it!!
  • psuLemon
    Options

You nailed it!!

That is fair. While i haven't used sidesteel, he pretty much just uses me for my mad mod skills, he gets great feedback in his forum.... so something to consider.
  • SideSteel
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the mentions :)

To the OP: If this (the coach you are considering) is a coach who gives you feedback and who considers your goals and limitations when making recommendations then you're at least a step ahead of the cookie-cutter types of coaches who basically hand you a template.

I do agree that there's a HUGE range of competency from coach to coach (not to mention I've heard of ridiculous variability in pricing from $37/month to over $600/month and darn near everything in between).

Some are great but some others aren't really even coaching, they're sending pre made programs.

There certainly are several free resources you can use like others have mentioned, and while people can and do make progress from these, I don't think these are a replacement for good coaching.

While I don't know who you're considering, she sounds like she's taking your circumstances into consideration and if she's getting on Skype with you for check ins, this is a good thing and it's more in depth than many other coaches get.

Good luck!