What to do when you get to your goal?

Options

Replies

• genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    katy2090 wrote: »
    I am very restrictive on my diet my calorie goal is 800 and I usually eat under than cause I feel guilty if I eat anything above about 200. It's sounds really bad when you say it but I've saw no bad changes in myself and I've been doing it for 5 months but this is why I'm scared about reaching my goal! I was confused on how to stay at the weight I'm gonna reach

This is disordered eating and you need to talk to someone to help you find a healthy relationship with food.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am very restrictive on my diet my calorie goal is 800 and I usually eat under than cause I feel guilty if I eat anything above about 200. It's sounds really bad when you say it but I've saw no bad changes in myself and I've been doing it for 5 months but this is why I'm scared about reaching my goal! I was confused on how to stay at the weight I'm gonna reach

this makes me sooo sad for you.

you need to get help.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to stop viewing food as something that makes you fat. Instead, look at food as fuel for your activities. If you aren't providing your body with enough fuel for the thing you want to do then you are depriving yourself. But also, if you are providing your body with too much fuel then you are being a glutton.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    New normal? Unless you literally sit about doing nothing i highly doubt your calorie intake to lose weight is your "new normal"? The new normal is learning to eat properly and portion control.

I understand what she means by "new normal" at least for me I will never be able to go back to what was eating "normal" for me. Because it wasn't..it was too many calories for my body. If I went back to "normal" I would gain all my weight back. I will have a new "normal" and that will be setting up my goal to maintain and eating and logging within my calories.

Thank you.

But yeah...this isn't what I was talking about.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You try to work with your new life. I have the appetite of my 180lb self, but I can only eat 1800 calories per day. It sucks.

BUT...I also don't have a "goal" that will ever be met. The desire for my physique to be ever changing, the need to lift as heavy as I possibly can..it's all constant. So I gained a nice 3 inches on my butt? Great, gotta lose an inch off the waist now. So I hit a 290 deadlift? Big deal. Where's 300?

Having fitness/physique goals to consistently strive for MAY be beneficial for some, though they can become a little obsessive.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to stop viewing food as something that makes you fat. Instead, look at food as fuel for your activities. If you aren't providing your body with enough fuel for the thing you want to do then you are depriving yourself. But also, if you are providing your body with too much fuel then you are being a glutton.

You really think mentioning the word "glutton" around someone with manifestations of an eating disorder is helpful here? Really?

Spot on. The use of that word, particularly in this thread, is irresponsible and counter productive.

OP, your very low calorie diet is one that should only be done under medical supervision. The other sites/forums you've been reading are leading you down the path of developing an eating disorder. That you apprear to have an unhealthy relationship with food is quite concerning. Please speak to your doctor about this. Soon.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    You can eat more, but in a controlled way. When you're within a couple of pounds of your goal, add a 100 cals a day for two weeks. If you're still losing, add another 100 for another two weeks. Eventually, your weight will stay the same. That's your maintenenance calories. Your weight will still fluctuate by a few pounds so you'll want to establish a range of 3-5 lbs that you're comfortable in. If you lose or gain out of that range, you'll make an adjustment as needed. Congratulations for getting so close!

This is good advice for anyone who's approaching goal weight.

OP, I agree with others who are concerned for you . . . I'd add my encouragement that you look for someone (skilled professional counselor) you can speak with, to evaluate whether you're experiencing disordered thinking about food. Just want you to be strong, healthy, happy!

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

You really think mentioning the word "glutton" around someone with manifestations of an eating disorder is helpful here? Really?

Really? You are going to judge me for the use of one word rather than the point of what I said. Can you not see that I am suggesting that one should create beneficial bounds on both sides of ones goal weight? I chose the words "deprive" and "glutton" purposefully because the OP used the word "guilt." Since guilt is what the OP responds to then it makes sense to place guilt on both sides. Feel guilty for eating too much, but also feel guilty for eating too little. The end result is that the person who doesn't want to feel guilty will eat the proper amount.
  • bbell1985
    Options

Really? You are going to judge me for the use of one word rather than the point of what I said. Can you not see that I am suggesting that one should create beneficial bounds on both sides of ones goal weight? I chose the words "deprive" and "glutton" purposefully because the OP used the word "guilt." Since guilt is what the OP responds to then it makes sense to place guilt on both sides. Feel guilty for eating too much, but also feel guilty for eating too little. The end result is that the person who doesn't want to feel guilty will eat the proper amount.

You...no...ah...I won't.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

You...no...ah...I won't.

I'm not touching it either. I'm out.

• bbell1985
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

You...no...ah...I won't.

I'm not touching it either. I'm out.

Good good. Deep breaths.
  • butcher206
    butcher206 Posts: 61 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I went from 268 lbs to 155, and once I got comfortable with it (kept myself at maintenance for quite awhile with no weight gain), I realized there is so much more I could work on. Right now I'm focusing on micro-nutrients and overall clean nutrition and developing a wonderful relationship with food with the goal of getting flawless skin. I'm working myself up to the idea of strength training. There's always something that can be improved or optimized and you can always set new goals, especially if you've chosen to make a lifestyle change and weren't doing this simply to shed vanity pounds.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

800 calories a day for 5 months with no problems? That seems very unlikely. How much weight did you lose in that time? How were you calculating your calories? Did you weigh/measure all your food?
  • katy2090
    katy2090 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone I'm sorry if I said anything wrong I didn't mean to say anything that would have affected any of you! Unfortunately I got reported and I just wanted to clarify I'm not anorexia, bulimic and don't have any type of eating disorder furthermore I don't promote any of these and I wish anyone with these problems the best of luck getting help!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone I'm sorry if I said anything wrong I didn't mean to say anything that would have affected any of you! Unfortunately I got reported and I just wanted to clarify I'm not anorexia, bulimic and don't have any type of eating disorder furthermore I don't promote any of these and I wish anyone with these problems the best of luck getting help!

But if you feel guilty eating above 200 calories, as you mentioned earlier, then perhaps you have an undiagnosed eating disorder... I really think you need to seek help from a professional if this is the case.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options

If you eat less than 800 calories a day, and feel guilty for eating more than 200 (I had more for breakfast today) you absolutely have some disorderer habits and thoughts surrounding food.

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

But if you feel guilty eating above 200 calories, as you mentioned earlier, then perhaps you have an undiagnosed eating disorder... I really think you need to seek help from a professional if this is the case.

I'm in total agreement on this.

OP, no need to apologize. Our comments about your very low calorie diet are coming from a place of concern for your health and well being. As @WinoGelato points out, guilt brought about by eating can be one of the markers of an eating disorder. I really do think you should speak to a medical professional about this, even if it's to rule out an eating disorder/disordered thinking.