Thoughts on tuna?

Options

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    So many dolphins trapped (and killed) in tuna nets (there is no such thing as dolphin friendly tuna). I just have an issue with that. I stopped eating tuna a few years ago. I use chicken and turkey as my lean proteins.

i mean, this article says that the dolphin friendly labels are junk, but not for the reasons of dolphin mortality. also that independent observers monitor most pacific tuna boats and that dolphin deaths have virtually disappeared.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2015/04/29/dolphin-safe-labels-on-canned-tuna-are-a-fraud/#23ab3e145755

i dunno, i struggle with eating the little animal protein that i do for ethical reasons, but i don't really get the mindset that fetishizes dolphin lives over the millions of tuna that are intentionally being killed in the nets. or over the chicken, cows, pigs, etc. i'm not saying that it's not horrific and cruel that trapped dolphins could die in the nets, i just don't think that it's more terrible than the factory farms.

eta: the link i forgot
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    So many dolphins trapped (and killed) in tuna nets (there is no such thing as dolphin friendly tuna). I just have an issue with that. I stopped eating tuna a few years ago. I use chicken and turkey as my lean proteins.

i mean, this article says that the dolphin friendly labels are junk, but not for the reasons of dolphin mortality. also that independent observers monitor most pacific tuna boats and that dolphin deaths have virtually disappeared.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2015/04/29/dolphin-safe-labels-on-canned-tuna-are-a-fraud/#23ab3e145755

i dunno, i struggle with eating the little animal protein that i do for ethical reasons, but i don't really get the mindset that fetishizes dolphin lives over the millions of tuna that are intentionally being killed in the nets. or over the chicken, cows, pigs, etc. i'm not saying that it's not horrific and cruel that trapped dolphins could die in the nets, i just don't think that it's more terrible than the factory farms.

I don't really get it either, but I've had some people tell me that dolphins deserve consideration beyond that given to other animals due to their intelligence. That may be the case here also.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    The only real tragedy is that we don't eat the dolphin if we kill it. :P
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

I don't really get it either, but I've had some people tell me that dolphins deserve consideration beyond that given to other animals due to their intelligence. That may be the case here also.

yeah, i guess. but rats and pigs are also super smart.

that argument does kind of remind me of the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy though. so long and thanks for all the fish!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Meh, I eat a tin of skipjack a day with mashed up avocado and have honestly been a very regular tuna diner my whole life. The white stuff, bleurgh.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    The only real tragedy is that we don't eat the dolphin if we kill it. :P

My understanding is that tests on dolphin meat often show really high mercury levels. It probably is something people wouldn't want to eat often, if at all.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The tuna I buy is line caught Albacore which is 1) a more sustainable fishing practice; 2) they're smaller tuna so less mercury. This is what I get...

[

I thought it was the opposite. Albacore has a higher concentration of Hg because it is smaller. I recently read that the FDA recommends limiting tuna consumption to 2 cans/wk.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Iv been eating a can of tuna a day and i feel like i could keep it up forever even though i dont really like tuna the way i make it makes me feel very satisfied. I mix it with a soup mix as a sauce and put it on top of potatoes half a can over 2 meals a day.

Though i hear to much tuna could be bad for you? Am i eating to much? I needed the low calorie protein. Thoughts please

Have you thought of buying chunk canned chicken instead. You can do the same dishes with it that you can tuna. Might be a good way to switch things up.

I don't eat tuna but that is because I don't eat fish of any kind. Makes me gag.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Iv been eating a can of tuna a day and i feel like i could keep it up forever even though i dont really like tuna the way i make it makes me feel very satisfied. I mix it with a soup mix as a sauce and put it on top of potatoes half a can over 2 meals a day.

Though i hear to much tuna could be bad for you? Am i eating to much? I needed the low calorie protein. Thoughts please

Have you thought of buying chunk canned chicken instead. You can do the same dishes with it that you can tuna. Might be a good way to switch things up.

I don't eat tuna but that is because I don't eat fish of any kind. Makes me gag.

Thats a good idea ill look into it! be safe
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    The tuna I buy is line caught Albacore which is 1) a more sustainable fishing practice; 2) they're smaller tuna so less mercury. This is what I get...

[

I thought it was the opposite. Albacore has a higher concentration of Hg because it is smaller. I recently read that the FDA recommends limiting tuna consumption to 2 cans/wk.

Mercury accumulates with age of the animal and place in the food chain. Younger fish, lower on the food chain, are safer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

[

No, larger and older fish have higher concentrations of mercury as are fish higher on the food chain (sharks, etc)...typically Albacore Tunas are pretty big fellas...line caught tunas are much smaller and younger in order to be line caught.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    for what it's worth, the tuna industry is pretty unsustainable, even the line caught stuff is part of the over-fishing problem. You might not care about dolphins and sea turtles but you should probably care about oxygen being produced by healthy oceans http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2015/10/23/the-fight-to-change-the-tuna-industry-is-a-fight-for-people-and-planet/
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    In the uk it's advised that pregnant women avoid tuna, and older children and adults eat it only once or twice a week. Other fish like shark and swordfish are higher in Mercury - canned tuna is relatively low I think but it depends on the type.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited February 2017
    Options
    iv always thought people hating on people for eating canned fish are a bit silly. Not like their not going to last ages on the shelf until someone eats it anyway. Seems beter to me than fresh meats that get tossed out if not eaten. I mean i get it i dislike eating meat as a general rule but id find eating tuna a far beter for our oxygen option than say eating cows and supporting that market.

Id love to not get mercury poison though so ill for sure look into canned chicken and swapping them out day by day. Even as just a precaution

And for the record i care for every animal equally, If your argueing about sea turtles and dolphins why arent you just saying i should go vegan :P ? Honest curiousity
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Thats a good idea ill look into it! be safe

The only time Ive ever had canned chicken, I thought it was "gross" because it tasted like tuna. I actually like tuna, but it wasn't the flavor I was going for at the time.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    The only time Ive ever had canned chicken, I thought it was "gross" because it tasted like tuna. I actually like tuna, but it wasn't the flavor I was going for at the time.

I'm actually very happy to hear this. I've avoided canned chicken as a tuna substitute because I really like the flavor of tuna and figured I'd be disappointed w/ chicken.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options

Trust me that if tuna and chicken were the only meats you could eat for 12-16 weeks, you'll wish for something else. I did it for every contest I was in and couldn't eat it for a month after.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• JaydedMiss
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Trust me that if tuna and chicken were the only meats you could eat for 12-16 weeks, you'll wish for something else. I did it for every contest I was in and couldn't eat it for a month after.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Only been eating tofu burgers and tuna as only "meat" for 10 months now :p amount of tuna just recently went up. i dont eat much meat i avoid it for ethical reasons eat minimally :p
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I must be the odd man out. I eat only tuna and chicken breast tenderloins (even scraping off all rendered fat) when cutting, and the only reason I drop tuna when bulking is the sodium. Me+salt+carbs=water balloon. The chicken stays full time.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I must be the odd man out. I eat only tuna and chicken breast tenderloins (even scraping off all rendered fat) when cutting, and the only reason I drop tuna when bulking is the sodium. Me+salt+carbs=water balloon. The chicken stays full time.

Yeah im not a professional anything so when i bloat im alright. Can just pretend im a bit fatter. Atleast if i go on dates bloated they are pleasantly surprised once i decide i like them and cut out salt to be sexy for them ;D haha