13»

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Iv been eating a can of tuna a day and i feel like i could keep it up forever even though i dont really like tuna the way i make it makes me feel very satisfied. I mix it with a soup mix as a sauce and put it on top of potatoes half a can over 2 meals a day.

Though i hear to much tuna could be bad for you? Am i eating to much? I needed the low calorie protein. Thoughts please
    Trust me that if tuna and chicken were the only meats you could eat for 12-16 weeks, you'll wish for something else. I did it for every contest I was in and couldn't eat it for a month after.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I must be the odd man out. I eat only tuna and chicken breast tenderloins (even scraping off all rendered fat) when cutting, and the only reason I drop tuna when bulking is the sodium. Me+salt+carbs=water balloon. The chicken stays full time.

Yeah im not a professional anything so when i bloat im alright. Can just pretend im a bit fatter. Atleast if i go on dates bloated they are pleasantly surprised once i decide i like them and cut out salt to be sexy for them ;D haha

I don't compete either. I can deal with SOME bloat, but I've had that crap set in so hard that I gained 17 lbs. in three days, and it took 12 more to go away. Screw that noise.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Iv been eating a can of tuna a day and i feel like i could keep it up forever even though i dont really like tuna the way i make it makes me feel very satisfied. I mix it with a soup mix as a sauce and put it on top of potatoes half a can over 2 meals a day.

Though i hear to much tuna could be bad for you? Am i eating to much? I needed the low calorie protein. Thoughts please
    Trust me that if tuna and chicken were the only meats you could eat for 12-16 weeks, you'll wish for something else. I did it for every contest I was in and couldn't eat it for a month after.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I must be the odd man out. I eat only tuna and chicken breast tenderloins (even scraping off all rendered fat) when cutting, and the only reason I drop tuna when bulking is the sodium. Me+salt+carbs=water balloon. The chicken stays full time.

Yeah im not a professional anything so when i bloat im alright. Can just pretend im a bit fatter. Atleast if i go on dates bloated they are pleasantly surprised once i decide i like them and cut out salt to be sexy for them ;D haha

I don't compete either. I can deal with SOME bloat, but I've had that crap set in so hard that I gained 17 lbs. in three days, and it took 12 more to go away. Screw that noise.

Oh. Ew. Yeah i just get a little fluffy and dont lose as fast. Its a nice surprise when i go low salt again though XD
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    pinksalmon.jpg

I do this and the tuna from Costco and eat it often.

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I do love salmon but its expensive. Maybe ill ask a friend to take me to costco, Never tried there :o
  • MsUrsy
    MsUrsy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you considered tuna outside of the typical can?, like Ahi Tuna, raw? There is a recipe for it, called Spicy tuna poke. I wrap it in romaine lettuce and it's delicious.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    MsUrsy wrote: »
    Have you considered tuna outside of the typical can?, like Ahi Tuna, raw? There is a recipe for it, called Spicy tuna poke. I wrap it in romaine lettuce and it's delicious.

I grew up on poke. It's definitely my favorite way to eat tuna. That still doesn't address the mercury issue, though.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Really? I'm on prep #2 as we speak, I'm pretty much only eating chicken breast and tilapia. I never get sick of it, it's delicious.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You can get no salt added tuna. I buy it at trader Joe's.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I eat tuna, for lunch, daily. I eat low sodium chunk light.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    "vomit" is my mature thought on tuna of the canned variety. Fresh is ok but I wouldn't choose to eat it.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    There is a strong relationship between Mercury and Selenium content and the health implications when consuming mercury from fish sources.

I'd read something about this in the past but although this is not the article I read at that time it does seem to summarize the complexities:

https://chriskresser.com/5-reasons-why-concerns-about-mercury-in-fish-are-misguided/

Long story short: Mercury is not an issue when selenium is high - this is typically the case in most sea foods except pilot whale, shark, tilefish, king mackerel and swordfish and some* freshwater fish.

* varies regionally
  • cuadrado12
    cuadrado12 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The EPA has some information about this. At a glance, I found this document posted on their page about fish consumption:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-06/documents/technical-factsheet-2011.pdf

It looks like it's from 2011. Not sure if they have more updated stuff posted elsewhere!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    There is a strong relationship between Mercury and Selenium content and the health implications when consuming mercury from fish sources.

I'd read something about this in the past but although this is not the article I read at that time it does seem to summarize the complexities:

https://chriskresser.com/5-reasons-why-concerns-about-mercury-in-fish-are-misguided/

Long story short: Mercury is not an issue when selenium is high - this is typically the case in most sea foods except pilot whale, shark, tilefish, king mackerel and swordfish and some* freshwater fish.

* varies regionally

This is an extremely relevant and often overlooked point. Essentially, selenium binds to mercury, rendering it non-bioavailable.

Also, the warnings about mercury in tuna, and the recommendations for reduced intake only ever applied to pregnant and nursing women. Somehow, this got extrapolated by "experts" to include everyone, which just isn't the case. Nor has it ever been.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a cut March first it will be Tuna, shrimp, salmon for Protein source could careless about mercury with all the other crap in foods today it can't be any worse!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I'm starting a cut March first it will be Tuna, shrimp, salmon for Protein source could careless about mercury with all the other crap in foods today it can't be any worse!!

You say that, until you manage to get legitimate heavy metal poisoning from shady supplements. It's not pretty.

That said, nothing you mentioned would be cause for concern. Salmon doesn't have many mercury issues, and all three are pretty high in selenium.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I probably have a packet of tuna once a week or so. It's in the rotation of salmon packets, also. I'd never get through the Costco can portions of them, and I like that the packets are perfectly single serving.