How many calories do you allow yourself and......

Options
1. How many calories do you allow yourself each day?

2. What percentage of Carbs/Protein/Fat is in your plan?

3. How much weight do you need to lose?

4. What is your activity level?

5. How tall are you, how much do you weigh? (if you want to tell)

I don't know how many calories I should be eating. MFP allows me 1210, but I have not lost any weight in a month.

Replies

• Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 1200 a day but sometimes I don't get to it. I started at 254.8 and I am now down to 216.5. How is your sodium and water intake?
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many calories I should be eating. MFP allows me 1210, but I have not lost any weight in a month.

I have a question for you.

Are you exercising and are you eating back your exercise calories?

If not that could be the cause of your plateau. Our bodies tend to get rather stubborn when we are not feeding them enough and making sure you are netting around 1200 calories a day is important to keep that from happening.
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    1. My goal is 1200, but I rarely reach that.

2. I have no clue to be honest.

3. I'm trying to lose 19 lbs.

4. 30-50 mins. 6 days a week. I do a mixture of running and strength training.

5. I'm 5'7 and I currently weigh 144 lbs.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    What do you have your goals set as? I think that is WAY too little for your current weight. I am at 1500 calories, and I am 154 pounds at 5'5". My activity level is sedentary, I think, right now, but I do exercise on average 5-6x/week.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    are you drinking lots of water and eating back your exercise calories?

5' 7.25"
    19 pounds left to lose (lost 62 so far following mfp quidelines and % allotlments.. except for fibre which i upped, and sodium which i lowered)
    i drink 12 glass of water a day minimum
    activity level is set at sedentary... cause, i am *L*
    am allocated 1200 cals per day and i always eat back most of my exercise calories... cause, it works *S*

i started at 242 in Nov/2010... joined mfp in January/2011 and from that point on i have followed 1200 base calories plus exercise calories.
    As of my last weigh-in last thursday i am 179.5.
    Goal is 160

note: when i hit a plateau i was only able to break it by consistently eating more (ie: eating my exercise calories)
    feel free to look at my food diary if you wish, it's public *S*
  • krisnshan
    krisnshan Posts: 41
    Options
    I am 5' 10" and you can view my food diary it has all the details...I am trying to lose 20lbs and I am eating 1200 calories a day. I work out 3-4 times a week for 45 mins to an hour and I love to run and use the elliptical machine. I am not a professional at this but your welcome to view anything on my page : )
    Best of luck to you!
  • janah84
    janah84 Posts: 5
    Options
    1. 1,200 a day

2. No idea

3. 5-15 pounds

4. Very high. I am training for my second marathon. That being said I almost always eat more than 1,200 calories a day.

5. I am 5 ft 3 inches and last I weighed I was at about 141. I'd like to get somewhere btwen 125-135.

I have been doing MFP for about 5 weeks and have lost 8 pounds.
  • VaBeachNurse
    Options
    I try to eat 1200 a day but sometimes I don't get to it. I started at 254.8 and I am now down to 216.5. How is your sodium and water intake?

I had my sodium at 2500, but just dropped in to 2000. My water intake varies from 24 ounces - 2 liters, it's very inconsistent.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.75"

I started at 186 with 37.5% body fat. From there to 160 I followed:

1. How many calories do you allow yourself each day? 1400-1450 plus exercise calories

2. What percentage of Carbs/Protein/Fat is in your plan? 40/30/30

3. How much weight do you need to lose? I started at 50ish lbs to lose

4. What is your activity level? Sedentary job, exercise several times a week.

*~*~*~*

From 160 until I get to 150ish I'm following:

1. How many calories do you allow yourself each day? 1550-1600 plus exercise calories (usually comes out to 1750-1900)

2. What percentage of Carbs/Protein/Fat is in your plan? 40/30/30 official, aiming for closer to 40/25/35 (C/F/P)

3. How much weight do you need to lose? Still have 20ish to go.

4. What is your activity level? Still have a sedentary job, still exercise several times a week.

5. How tall are you, how much do you weigh? (if you want to tell) - Current weight is 158-159, Body fat as of 2 weeks ago was 27.2%... new measurements tomorrow.

My goal is 135-145 lbs with 19-21% body fat, with body fat being the more important number.
  • iambayd
    iambayd Posts: 235
    Options
    I allow myself 1500 a day. I am 5'7 and started out at 205 and am now 160. My activity level is lightly active. I took a look at your diary and your sodium seems a little high and your water intake is low. I had trouble drinking water in the beginning too.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I still think you need to eat more. I can't imagine eating so little now, or when I weighed more. I, like another poster said, usually up my calories some (or have a "cheat") when I plateau, and it works a lot of the time.
  • VaBeachNurse
    Options
    What do you have your goals set as? I think that is WAY too little for your current weight. I am at 1500 calories, and I am 154 pounds at 5'5". My activity level is sedentary, I think, right now, but I do exercise on average 5-6x/week.

I had them set on 1200, also on 1380 at one point. I just raised them to 1600, thinking that I should try to up them and see what happens. I'm 230, 5'7" and honestly somewhere in between sedentary and active. Exercise goal is 5-6 days a week.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    1. 1200 a day + some of my exercise cals
    2. 30 grams fat or less and high protein most days
    3. 10-15 lbs
    4. Very high...I workout 6 days a week, lift weights 3 days and cardio all 6 days
    5. 5'4", 152 lbs

MFP for about 6 weeks and have lost 7 lbs. It works! :-)
  • mmiiaa
    mmiiaa Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    1. On very active days, I try not to eat over 1800 calories. On lazy days, 1400.

2. *shrugs*

3. I started at 280lbs, wanting to weigh 140 so I had 140 to lose..

4. Depends on the day. I go to the gym twice a week, and I stay for about 2 - 3 hours. I do walk to work though, and take frequent walks at night... not so much lately because it's been disgustingly hot out.

5. 5'6" and 247 pounds last weigh in.
  • VaBeachNurse
    Options

I have a question for you.

Are you exercising and are you eating back your exercise calories?

If not that could be the cause of your plateau. Our bodies tend to get rather stubborn when we are not feeding them enough and making sure you are netting around 1200 calories a day is important to keep that from happening.

I am exercising a few times a week, trying to get to 6 days. I usually eat part of the calories back but I have noticed that my net has been below 1200 a lot.
  • Derameth
    Derameth Posts: 58 Member
    Options

My daily intake varies depending upon the amount of exercise I do. My biggest problem was that I hit a plateau, and stayed in the same place for almost 6 months. Until I started eating back my exercise calories. So I now eat between 1200 and 2000 depending on my exercise level.

2. I tried the monitor carbs, fat blah blah blah, but now it really depends. When I exercise, I know I will need the complex carbs to help me.. My proteins run around 100g-150 depending on exercise again.

3. I want to lose an additional 18 lbs as my goal weight is 175.

4. If I don't exercise, I am a pure, and simple, couch potato...but I am committed to exercising 6 days per week, and have kept that up for the last month...and three times a week at the gym before that and twice a week at home on recumbent bike.

5. I am 5'7" tall and currently weigh 192. Even tho the "charts" say I will be overweight at 175, I know I'll be perfect. I am already wearing a size 12/14 pants, but really don't want to get smaller than a 12.
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    I'm 5'5 1/4" & weigh 128 lbs. I have 3 more lbs to go to reach my new goal!! I've eaten about 1200 calories/day since I started this in March. I eat alot of lean protein, limit my fat & most of my carbs come from fruits, veggies & whole grains. I don't count my carbs, I really only count calories. I'm pretty active normally, I usually try to work out 5-6 days a week (ALOT of cardio & upper body/abs 2-3 days/wk) but I broke my foot 7 weeks ago-I walked/worked out,etc on it for a month without knowing it was broken, and have been in a cast-shoe for 3 weeks until it's healed. I wear a pedometer to get in at least 10000-15000 steps, that & some upper body/ab work has been my workouts until I'm healed.

How active are you? If you're only eating 1210 calories/day & aren't losing weight I'd up your workouts. Also, are you measuring your portions? You may be eating more calories than you think. Good luck!! If you need a fitness buddy, friend me!! Trust in this process/journey...I haven't been this weight in 14 years!!

:bigsmile:
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i try to stay under 1500 and go over 1200 each day

i dont pay much attention to that yet but i cut off fats on meat and try not to have more then 3 servings of carbs per day

ive lost 10 kilos, i am 50 kilos now and i want to stay at this weight and lose body fat and build muscle but with my eating and exercise im still losing

i do 45 mins brisk walking or advanced wii fit and toning exercises each day
    i sometimes go swimming once a week and about 2 days a week im very active(as in shopping, walking around)

158cm and 49.8 kg
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    1. 1300 (but I hardly make it & am rarely over); I did notice that if I have a vigorous workout & do not eat at least some of my exercise calories my weight does not budge.

2. Percentage of Carbs/Protein/Fat is 40/30/30...I try not to eat any carbs after 5pm in addition.

3. Weight to lose: 32+ pounds

4. Sedentary...I try to do something everyday but w/ a newborn and a 3 year old it's not always possible.

5. I'm 5'5"...started at 193 June 1st, currently 182.
  • anamikaraks
    anamikaraks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    1. 1600, that said I am trying to lose slow and steady. Also I am having a horrible time reaching that calorie level. My intake usually comes in at 1300-1400.

2. Carb/Protein?Fat = 50ish/40insh/10 or less This is due to a medical condition that causes me to get sick if I eat fat (dietician supervised)

3. I need to lose 100lbs or more. I am looking at things like, can I sit in a standard sized kayak.

4. I am sedentary. Once in a while I go do something (like kayak) for fun, but usually nothing.

5. I am 5'4" ;started at 260; now at 244 after a few months. I figure it took me an awful long time to get to this point and it will take me a while to take it off.