Best fitness tracker for "other" (not just steps)

Options
mazdauk
mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
Hi all. I'm thinking about investing (a small amount!) in a fitness tracker to get a more accurate idea of my calories expended, but most of the ones I've seen seem to only log steps - I know I burn more in a zumba class than I would in the same time walking round the shopping centre! I don't want to spend too much (under £100) and I need something not too big. Also I have a windows phone (android tablet) so not sure what would sync best, or if I should just manually transfer the burn to MFP?

Thanks all! Got to spend that birthday money....... ;)

Replies

• ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit HR logs calories burned. I tracked it against my weight and very carefully recording calories and found it was actually about 90% accurate. I now have the Charge HR2, and it seems to be even a little more accurate, so I've been using it to help me maintain (since October now). Could be more/less accurate for some people. I know the chest strap monitors are supposed to be the best, but I'm just not willing to wear that. Not sure about the syncing--I have an iPhone and the app works well on there.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm a Garmin user and a huge fan. I've seen one too many quality issues with the Fitbit for my liking (though I understand their customer service is supposed to be amazing).

You can either go with an HR version (which uses wrist read technology) or go for something with a chest strap which is what I currently do. I started with the Vivofit which is their entry level tracker and now have the Vivoactive but they have quite a few models in the Vivo range and if you have a look on Amazon they will often do nifty tick list comparisons when you click through to an item.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit Flex for 3 years and it did really well tracking my dance workouts. It's just a small band on your wrist, without the fancy display screens that a lot of the newer trackers have that make them more bulky. It also tracks sleep if you're interested in that. I believe Fitbit has an app for Windows phones for syncing (otherwise you can just sync via computer). :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »
    Got to spend that birthday money....... ;)

I wouldn't bother then, there is no reliable way to measure calorie burn in something like zumba.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Look at the polar M400 HRM/activity tracker with GPS. It's counts steps, measures the precise distance you walked, ran, or biked and estimates calorie burn from aerobic exercise like zumba based on your heart rate. It's available in the US for $149 which is about 120 pounds.

It is also linkable to MFP and the info is downloadable to your computer
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The Garmin Vivo line might be a good option. Fitbit has HR trackers that include GPS. The Apple Watch 1 or 2 is an option. There are so many trackers out there. I started with a Garmin Vivofit, and liked it. Moved to Fitbit Charge HR, and liked it. And now I have a Apple Watch 2 which I really love (but I have Apple products so they all work together). It just depends on how much money you want to spend and what features are must haves and what features you would like, but could live without.
  • mazdauk
    Options
    Thanks all, really helpful! I just got Davina's "Fit in 15" as a change and its quite tough, so I'd like to get a better idea of the calorie burn (I used aerobics high impact from mfp as a guide). I use the Wii Zumba a fair amount for after work exercise as it also gives a calorie burn (I know its not 100% accurate but its worked ok so far) but the Wii has started making weird noises at the end of a routine so I don't think it will last much longer!
    Off to check out Amazon.....
  • 2Luverly
    2Luverly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin vivoactive HR. I must say it has been the best Christmas gift my husband has ever purchased for me. I love using the Garmin Connect app and how my activities and steps link with MFP. You can even shower and SWIM with this baby on!
  • Jessyd76
    Jessyd76 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post a thread on this, glad I searched first! I'm shopping for a new tracker today.

I initially had the Fitbit flex - great tracker, but after 4 broken wristbands, it had to go.

Moved to the Fitbit hr after that- loved the hr tracker, calorie burn, step challenges, etc. charging port and band broke on that. (Sister and another friend - their bands also broke)

Another friend has had 2 Fitbit surges- wristbands broke on both of those as well.

None of us showered with them, workouts were running, walking, hiking, and weight lifting. Nothing that would cause unusual wear and tear.

So while Fitbit has a great tracker, until they do something drastic to improve the quality of their bands, I don't know if it's a contender for me this time.

I am quite interested in the Apple Watch 2 (hr, water resistant, gps, Apple care, replaceable bands) and the Garmin trackers!

Going to check them out at REI and the Apple Store today. Will report back with what I end up with.
  • Jessyd76
    Jessyd76 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm the proud new owner of an Apple Watch 2. :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Jessyd76 wrote: »
    I'm the proud new owner of an Apple Watch 2. :)

That escalated quickly! Ha. The Apple Watch is aesthetically very pleasing but extremely eye watering price wise.

On the wear and tear note for my Garmin. I never take it off. Well, only to charge it. And aside from the leather strap being a bit battered it's as good as the day I got it a year ago. And while the screen is "only" plastic it doesn't have a scratch on it. Can't recommend the Vivo range enough at the lower end of the market (they do other fancier trackers too at the higher end, those I shall continue to covet from afar).
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One, but have always been a big Garmin fan. And now that I'm back running again I decided it was time to upgrade my ancient Forerunner 205. There are some very pricy Garmins out there, but the lower end FR25 is absolutely perfect for me. It syncs with my phone and there's all sorts of data to play with when I download my run into Garmin Connect.

The technology has improved quite a bit since I got the FR205 in 2006. Thankfully the FR25 is a wee bit smaller. I can't believe I used to go out with that huge thing on my wrist.

7dttnerun65f.jpeg
  • mazdauk
    Options
    Oh dear! I was almost convinced on a Fitbit but now I wonder if I should go for the garmin instead!
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Currently there seems to be only one system that connects with Windows-phone (ver. 8 or higher) and Android and that's Garmin. Which of their products is the right one for you depends on your budget and your workouts.

If trying to purchase a fitness tracker check for second-hand on eBay too. They are significantly cheaper than new and mostly barely used.
  • mazdauk
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I can work with android via my tablet if necessary. The only Garmin which was in my price range was way too big for my wrists, I need something quite small (my watch face is 20mm x 25mm). Thanks for the tip.
    ETA I've been reading reviews and whichever I look at - Garmin, Fitbit, cheap options - there are as many people hate them as love them! My brain is exploding!
  • mazdauk
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Fitbit Alta or fitbit charge HR? Bur "Which?"says they over-estimate calorie burn by 80%!!!!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Fitbit Alta or fitbit charge HR? Bur "Which?"says they over-estimate calorie burn by 80%!!!!!!

Nothing will give you reliable information given the activities you describe.

I wouldn't bother if I were you.
  • mazdauk
    Options
    You sound like my husband!

I'm not going to take any readings as gospel, but I'd like to get a feel for when I am genuinely working harder or just think I am because its been a long day or whatever. Then I can use that over time to decide which exercises will work best with my planned day/week (so do more intensive when I've got an indulgent meal coming up for example). I probably won't even sync it to MFP as using their estimates has worked for me for the past 4 years.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    @vitagefeline is this the one you have? https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/150767/pn/010-01297-10 --- if so, do you wear the strap all day or only when exercising - i use the charge 2 but I have been wanting to see if there is a large discrepancy with chest strap vs wrist read technology
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I'm not going to take any readings as gospel, but I'd like to get a feel for when I am genuinely working harder or just think I am because its been a long day or whatever.

Whilst I understand what you're looking for, when you're using any instrumentation it's worth thinking about how the thing you're measuring relates to what you're trying to make a judgement about.

Step trackers all measure vibration, relate that to potential step counts, make an assumption about step length and estimate distance travelled as a result. So if you take a step you'll travel say 60cm, or if you jump upwards you might travel 20cm. In isolation not a big difference, but it compounds fairly rapidly.

Similarly with HR. An HRM makes assumptions about variation in HR and estimates based on how that relates to standardised scales. Is your HR varying because you're tired, dehydrated, watching a horror film, have just had a coffee or are running?

To illustrate, what's the best way to determine what speed you're driving at? A speedometer that picks up off axle rotations, counting lamp posts as you pass them, or comparing your speed to that of another car?