Do you have any "banned" foods that you won't allow in your diet?

Options

Replies

• GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    The only food i have banned is pasta and thats only because it does horrible things to my body, bloating like you wouldnt believe and also itchy skin :( . I do love pasta but it dont love me so it is banned for life. All other food i eat within my callorie allowance and enjoy it.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Only food I hate.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I love pasta alfredo. Life's too short!
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    CTcutie wrote: »
    I won't eat Little Debbie's because I cannot control myself! I'm fine with other junky foods, but I know to stay away... I mean I salivate when I see them at the store. It's really sad.

This! I LOVE little debbies too! They are like little mini plastic bags full of deliciousness and memories. I can't buy them! haha.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Creamed corn. It's disgusting.

Same goes for the skin on top of pudding.

Have you tried making your own creamed corn...I'm not a fan of the canned stuff, but scratch made is pretty bomb.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No...I have a lot of foods that I eat way less of than I used to...

I don't know where you heard that pasta alfredo is one of the worst foods you could possibly eat...it's calorie dense, sure...but not inherently unhealthy.

Bagels aren't empty calories...I was just looking at the package of bagels in our bread rack...245 calories...48 grams carbohydrates...4 grams fiber...10 grams protein 15% RDA Iron...12% RDA magnesium. Rather than going by things you hear, look at nutrition labels.

Ages ago there was a consumer group that was releasing "reports" on the worst foods to eat, and they tested a fettuccine alfredo available at a restaurant that was like a million calories and ton of fat if you ate the whole plate. I believe they called it "a heart attack on a plate". I remember because it was what my dad always ordered when we went to an Italian restaurant so we forbade him to get it anymore. Of course, now that I know more I know you can make alfredo sauce without killing yourself :)

OP, you have to remember that the people writing the headlines need to exaggerate to get your attention.
    Forbidding foods is a personal thing. Some people find that banning a "trigger" food is the only way they can deal with it, while others (like me) find banning a food just makes it worse.

I honestly don't have any foods that I feel guilty for eating. I've had meals where I ate way too much and afterwards felt a little stupid, but that had to do with stuffing myself. A healthy diet can include some heavy or not-very-nutritious foods, if you balance everything out!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Have you tried making your own creamed corn...I'm not a fan of the canned stuff, but scratch made is pretty bomb.

I don't even like plain corn, to be honest. There are very few foods that I do not like but corn is one of them. I eat stuff with ground corn in it (chips, grits, etc.) but as a whole food I don't like it. Not even a fresh ear of corn.
  • cwolfman13
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    No...I have a lot of foods that I eat way less of than I used to...

I don't know where you heard that pasta alfredo is one of the worst foods you could possibly eat...it's calorie dense, sure...but not inherently unhealthy.

Bagels aren't empty calories...I was just looking at the package of bagels in our bread rack...245 calories...48 grams carbohydrates...4 grams fiber...10 grams protein 15% RDA Iron...12% RDA magnesium. Rather than going by things you hear, look at nutrition labels.

Ages ago there was a consumer group that was releasing "reports" on the worst foods to eat, and they tested a fettuccine alfredo available at a restaurant that was like a million calories and ton of fat if you ate the whole plate. I believe they called it "a heart attack on a plate". I remember because it was what my dad always ordered when we went to an Italian restaurant so we forbade him to get it anymore. Of course, now that I know more I know you can make alfredo sauce without killing yourself :)

OP, you have to remember that the people writing the headlines need to exaggerate to get your attention.
    Forbidding foods is a personal thing. Some people find that banning a "trigger" food is the only way they can deal with it, while others (like me) find banning a food just makes it worse.

I honestly don't have any foods that I feel guilty for eating. I've had meals where I ate way too much and afterwards felt a little stupid, but that had to do with stuffing myself. A healthy diet can include some heavy or not-very-nutritious foods, if you balance everything out!

Yeah, I looked it up on Olive Garden website and it's like 1300 calories and 75 grams of fat...it's also a massive serving of food.

I would likely opt to make my own...and give myself a reasonable portion, not 3 or 4 portions. It would also be on my every once in awhile list if I liked it. I'm more of a bolognese or puttanesca guy.
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Nutella...blasphemy I know...but only because it is soooo delicious, it's not have a serving on toast...it's grab a fork (to scrape the sides better) and eat jar...there is no self control where Nutella is concerned lol
  • mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Lobster, oysters, clams, and shrimp. I have decided not to eat these things because I do not like them.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I don't even like plain corn, to be honest. There are very few foods that I do not like but corn is one of them. I eat stuff with ground corn in it (chips, grits, etc.) but as a whole food I don't like it. Not even a fresh ear of corn.

I spent my youth living in Nebraska...I love the stuff. When I was 12 I spent a season detasseling.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    For instance - Pasta Alfredo. I mean who doesn't love this stuff? With dieting though, I feel like i have committed a sin eating it. Even when I am not dieting I avoid Pasta Alfredo sauce because somewhere I've heard it's one of the worst things in life you can eat. I also no longer eat bagels for breakfast because I heard they are just empty calories. The weird thing is that I eat all other kinds of crap foods just fine. Does anyone else do this or am I just crazy? Well I know I'm crazy but does anyone else do this???? :D

I do pretty rarely eat alfredo anymore..at 4'10" the calorie density is a bit much for my daily calorie allowance. Taller/heavier folks should be able to fit in a reasonable portion (but this definitely /= restaurant serving).

I do react to larger amounts of wheat gluten (a bagel is generally around the threshold where I can expect physical pain so I do avoid those, as is ~1-1/2 regular slices of pizza).

There are a lot of items that I have a hard time with moderation (cheese, for instance) - if I can buy them in single servings, I'll get them occasionally (typically after a run). If not, I've probably cut them out.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I spent my youth living in Nebraska...I love the stuff. When I was 12 I spent a season detasseling.

That process fascinates me. I had a boss from Nebraska and a coworker from Iowa at a previous job and they both talked about summer jobs detasseling corn.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    CTcutie wrote: »
    I won't eat Little Debbie's because I cannot control myself! I'm fine with other junky foods, but I know to stay away... I mean I salivate when I see them at the store. It's really sad.

The bodega ~100 ft from my door has quite a few of them available to buy in single servings (rather than a box)...I sometimes get one after my long runs.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

But the skin is the best bit of baked rice pudding!

Gluten.

But I have celiac disease, otherwise I wouldn't ban it.

I prefer vegetarian carbonara to alfredo for pasta dishes. Always have. Thinking now of it, I might make it for us this weekend.

And beets. Beets are banned from life.

But pickled beets, yum! Reminds me I must get some soon....