Do you have any "banned" foods that you won't allow in your diet?

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything I've outright banned. Maybe whole chillis (because wimp) and marzipan (because gross).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Creamed corn. It's disgusting.

Same goes for the skin on top of pudding.

Have you tried making your own creamed corn...I'm not a fan of the canned stuff, but scratch made is pretty bomb.

I don't even like plain corn, to be honest. There are very few foods that I do not like but corn is one of them. I eat stuff with ground corn in it (chips, grits, etc.) but as a whole food I don't like it. Not even a fresh ear of corn.

I spent my youth living in Nebraska...I love the stuff. When I was 12 I spent a season detasseling.

That process fascinates me. I had a boss from Nebraska and a coworker from Iowa at a previous job and they both talked about summer jobs detasseling corn.

It was an interesting, short lived summer job...mostly kids

detasseling-003.jpg?w=300&h=225

You basically bust your butt for about 15-20 days.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    I thought the answer is yes like I don't have any soft drinks but I do about once in a blue moon. I don't buy chips except for tortilla chips when we make taco salad, but again once in a blue moon like when we go camping I might eat some. So there are things I don't put in my grocery cart but will very rarely have. Of course there are things I don't like so why eat them. i just try to eat less of certain foods like sugar and highly processed carbs.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Creamed corn. It's disgusting.

Same goes for the skin on top of pudding.

Have you tried making your own creamed corn...I'm not a fan of the canned stuff, but scratch made is pretty bomb.

I don't even like plain corn, to be honest. There are very few foods that I do not like but corn is one of them. I eat stuff with ground corn in it (chips, grits, etc.) but as a whole food I don't like it. Not even a fresh ear of corn.

I spent my youth living in Nebraska...I love the stuff. When I was 12 I spent a season detasseling.

That process fascinates me. I had a boss from Nebraska and a coworker from Iowa at a previous job and they both talked about summer jobs detasseling corn.

It was an interesting, short lived summer job...mostly kids

detasseling-003.jpg?w=300&h=225

You basically bust your butt for about 15-20 days.

Did that for two summers, 11- and 12-years old. Figured out quickly I didn't want to do manual labor as a career. It's a tough job.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I think for a lot of folks on this site, 'banned' foods usually amount to items that [1] we either know we personally have no self-control around/won't want to eat that item in a very small portion, or [2] we've looked up the actual calorie numbers and they are so astronomical that fitting it in would mean depriving ourselves of multiple full meals or going WAY over on our calories and we deemed that item not worth it (the yummiest alfredo recipes combined with pasta possibly fall into this category).
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of foods that I refuse to make if I'm not taking them to an event where I won't have leftovers or purchase for my home. If I want them, I'll go to a store/restaurant and get a serving. My amazing carrot cake cupcakes with homemade frosting, sour cream and cheddar ruffles with ranch dip, and cheetos come to mind. I don't ban anything though.

Also "banned" drinking alone, but thats not just calories ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Only things not worth the calories for me... so drinks and dishes in sauce that I never cared for in the first place (or bad quality baked goods).

If it's something I love, I make it fit/find a lower calorie version of it.
  • sharde8691
    sharde8691 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Since I am in the "strict" stage...I am not allowing sugar (unless dried fruit in a trail mix), dairy and processed carbs. I do allow a cheat meal once a week and drink wine on the weekend. I will allow the foods back in with moderation once I hit a certain goal.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Potato knishes, sigh. The ones I like are the size of apple turnovers and probably about 500 calories. (In Ontario, the law is that if a restaurant has more than 20 locations, they need to print the calories for their menu items. This bakery sends their turnovers to select coffee shops. In compliance with the law, they put the calories on the label and their turnovers are 560 calories. I'm not sure about the knishes, but I'd venture to guess that since they use phyllo dough for both, they're probably in the same ballpark.) I will not be able to stop at half and I don't want to splurge on the whole thing right now.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Well now I want chicken alfredo...

I sent and looked up the recipe for a traditional alfredo sauce...nothing seemed so terrible to me. Is it high in calories...yes but there is a lighter version. It is very similar to a sauce that I use to make chicken noodle casserole. Add in some chicken and you are good to go. If you want less calories you could serve it over steamed/roasted vegetables.

I ran the recipe through the builder and it is only 157 calories per serving(4 servings total) not including the pasta.

Skinny Alfredo Sauce
    INGREDIENTS:

12 ounces fettuccine (or any pasta shape)
    1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or butter
    4 cloves garlic, pressed or finely-minced
    3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup chicken stock
    1 cup low-fat milk (I used 1%)
    3/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    (optional toppings: chopped fresh parsley, extra Parmesan)

Here's the recipe site of someone is interested.

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/skinny-fettuccine-alfredo-recipe/

Yes^

Find a lower calorie version. Otherwise it's alfredo once in a blue moon type thing.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    @CTcutie - haha!!! I love lil Debbie's too much to ban them! They're a at-most twice a year treat coupled with Cheetos. Why in heaven do I even think it's a treat when i feel so awful afterwards.

Evaporated milk, cottage cheese, cream cheese and flan are not only banned,but I can't look at them!
  • lilawolf
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Only things not worth the calories for me... so drinks and dishes in sauce that I never cared for in the first place.

If it's something I love, I make it fit/find a lower calorie version of it.

Oooh. On a similar note: a poor/low cal (if it isn't at least 90% as good)/cheap/knock off version of what I want. For instance, I enjoy fried chicken and cinnamon rolls (not at the same time). I will literally wait days or even weeks to get the BEST of those things. I'm not going to settle for KFC or the vaguely cinnamon flavored, concrete frosted styrofoam grocery stores sell. Once I get the right thing, I eat the S**T out of it with no guilt at all.

Edited because "*kitten*" sigh.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    There are a lot of foods that I refuse to make if I'm not taking them to an event where I won't have leftovers or purchase for my home.

bwahaha. yep- My most calorie-dense goods are saved for potlucks. You don't want to know how many calories are in Arequipe (AKA dulce de leche)-drowned pound cake.

• lilawolf
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    lilawolf wrote: »
    There are a lot of foods that I refuse to make if I'm not taking them to an event where I won't have leftovers or purchase for my home.

bwahaha. yep- My most calorie-dense goods are saved for potlucks. You don't want to know how many calories are in Arequipe (AKA dulce de leche)-drowned pound cake.

No....No, I do not, but I would like a small slice before never seeing it again :wink:
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Classico Lite Alfredo sauce is really good and not bad on calories (45 calories per 1/4 cup). I eat it probably weekly with 2 oz of fiber gourmet lite fettucine (120 calories for 2 oz) and 6 oz of green beans and some chicken. Great filling dinner with pretty low calories.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    Evaporated milk, cottage cheese, cream cheese and flan are not only banned,but I can't look at them!

If you think evaporated milk is bad, try arequipe/dulce de leche. bwahaha.

Cottage cheese - As long as I portion it out first (as in entire container is immediately weighed out in 80g increments into mini containers), I'm OK with cottage cheese. (it used to be banned...I cannot be trusted with a full cottage cheese container).

Yummmm.. flan. And creme brulee. I used to do creme brulee in bulk for dinner parties.

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Creamed corn is worse than dog's vomit......

Lies!

How about creamed peas with little pearl onions? Yum!

• ritzvin
    Options
    Creamed corn is worse than dog's vomit......

Lies!

How about creamed peas with little pearl onions? Yum!

I kind of like those. I also like creamed corn though.