Fruit sugar

Options
I eat a lot of fruit and then I look at my macros and and really shocked about how high the levels are. I'm still slightly unsure whether I should be worrying about the sugar from my fruit and veg (this is non processed and a lot of the time eaten raw) I don't feel any negative side effects physically but I don't want it to be doing my body any harm.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar no matter where it comes from. Sugar isn't poison. Don't track sugar unless you have to (been told by doctor). Eat a varied diet and get in all the nutrition you need every day.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    According to different world authorities your daily sugar recommendations exclude sugar found naturally in fruit, veg and dairy. It is the added sugar in food you need to worry about. Unless you have a medical condition and your doctor has told you to watch all sugar intake don't feel guilty about a few pieces of fruit a day. Dried fruit and fruit juice however should be limited.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    cuadrado12 wrote: »
    So I kind of disagree with the thought "sugar is sugar". Natural sugars come from nutrient-dense food (milk and fruit). These types of food have fiber and/or protein which can affect the way the sugar is absorbed in the body a little bit, and they also have other good things for you. There are also all type of studies now tying added sugar to chronic disease. So I would say avoid added sugar, especially in junk food, when you can and fruit is OK with a balanced diet.

If I put cane sugar on my cereal, it's bad sugar, but if I eat the sugar cane, it's good sugar. How does that work? They are the same thing: sugar.
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    If you eat the sugar cane you are also eating phytonutrients, minerals and dietary fibre. These things slow down sugar absorption eliminating or lessening sugar spikes in the blood.
  • cuadrado12
    cuadrado12 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    So I kind of disagree with the thought "sugar is sugar". Natural sugars come from nutrient-dense food (milk and fruit). These types of food have fiber and/or protein which can affect the way the sugar is absorbed in the body a little bit, and they also have other good things for you. There are also all type of studies now tying added sugar to chronic disease. So I would say avoid added sugar, especially in junk food, when you can and fruit is OK with a balanced diet.

If I put cane sugar on my cereal, it's bad sugar, but if I eat the sugar cane, it's good sugar. How does that work? They are the same thing: sugar.

I'm not sure I would say good sugar vs. bad sugar. I was just recommending to limit added sugars, which even the World Health Organization has recommended. Also, cane sugar is only made of sugar. A sugar cane stick has other nutrients, like fiber, protein, calcium, potassium and iron, in addition to the sugar.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I'm not sure I would say good sugar vs. bad sugar. I was just recommending to limit added sugars, which even the World Health Organization has recommended. Also, cane sugar is only made of sugar. A sugar cane stick has other nutrients, like fiber, protein, calcium, potassium and iron, in addition to the sugar.

Cereal has other nutrients too in addition to the sugar.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I'm pointing out that sugar in sugar cane and sugar in cane sugar is the same thing. They do the same things in the body and are processed the same way (barring medical conditions). I don't understand the magical properties of other nutrients in foods that people think negate what the body does with sugar.

How about this? Why is is okay to eat an apple but not eat an apple with sugar on it (like a caramel dip)?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Sugar cane, or beets, are a whole food. If you eat it, you get fiber, an array of micro-nutrients, some fats, some amino acids, phyto-nutrients, minerals, etc.

If you remove the sugar from the plant, you are isolating one macro-nutrient, and leaving all the rest of the food behind. Then, when you add it to another food, you are eating a higher concentration of sugar than what you would naturally be eating, and to make it worse, you are NOT eating the protective fibers and micro-nutrients that will help you to digest the food, and expel the waste.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Rocbola wrote: »
    Sugar cane, or beets, are a whole food. If you eat it, you get fiber, an array of micro-nutrients, some fats, some amino acids, phyto-nutrients, minerals, etc.

If you remove the sugar from the plant, you are isolating one macro-nutrient, and leaving all the rest of the food behind. Then, when you add it to another food, you are eating a higher concentration of sugar than what you would naturally be eating, and to make it worse, you are NOT eating the protective fibers and micro-nutrients that will help you to digest the food, and expel the waste.

Cereal has no fiber?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I like a little sugar on my strawberries! Fiber and phytonutrients.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Eloise2968 wrote: »
    I eat a lot of fruit and then I look at my macros and and really shocked about how high the levels are. I'm still slightly unsure whether I should be worrying about the sugar from my fruit and veg (this is non processed and a lot of the time eaten raw) I don't feel any negative side effects physically but I don't want it to be doing my body any harm.

How do you feel? How is your weight, energy level, cravings? If there are no problems, don't rock the boat. If there are, plug the holes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

But lots of foods with added sugar also have other nutrients. If I add maple syrup to a bowl of oatmeal, I'm getting other macro- and micronutrients in addition to the sugar. It's hard for me to see how this is significantly different that eating an apple or banana when it comes to meeting my overall nutritional goals.
  • Eloise2968
    Eloise2968 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »

How do you feel? How is your weight, energy level, cravings? If there are no problems, don't rock the boat. If there are, plug the holes.

Generally I feel good when I eat these foods, I am trying to gain some weight so I think it wouldn't matter too much then

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »

Generally I feel good when I eat these foods, I am trying to gain some weight so I think it wouldn't matter too much then

The bigger question is, how do your calories look like and what is your overall macro breakouts. Protein is pretty important for muscle building and satiety, and fats support hormone health.
  • chelseasavage55
    chelseasavage55 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The documentary sugar coated on Netflix has some good point on sugar! It explains this whole add vs natural sugar such think as well
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

The WHO has recommended limiting added sugar namely because of mass over-consumption. The average Joe/Jane out there isn't consuming mass quantities of fruit. On a molecular level and biologically, sugar is sugar and your body is going to treat it the same. If this weren't the case, diabetics could eat fruit with abandon and not worry about it...but they can't...'cuz too much sugar.
  • Kcash1996
    Kcash1996 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever heard of anyone dying from eating fruit? who goes to the Dr and says, I'm gaining weight from eating a apples?
  • Lillymoo01
    edited February 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

The WHO has recommended limiting added sugar namely because of mass over-consumption. The average Joe/Jane out there isn't consuming mass quantities of fruit. On a molecular level and biologically, sugar is sugar and your body is going to treat it the same. If this weren't the case, diabetics could eat fruit with abandon and not worry about it...but they can't...'cuz too much sugar.

Any evidence to back this up? Diabetes associations throughout the world recommend fruit consumption as part of a healthy diet for a type 2 diabetic. They just discourage fruit juice and dried fruit which have higher sugar content. They recommend limiting fruit consumption to a couple of pieces a day but this recommendation really goes for many of us anyway. In fact research has shown that including plenty of fruit in your diet can lower your chances of developing type 2 diabetes in the first place.

This is what the American Diabetes Association has to say about fruit.
    http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/fruits.html
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not bad for you. Eating too much will make you fat, but you basically can't do that eating fruit. Make sure you eat enough protein and enjoy your fruit.