Resting Metabolic Rate Testing

Options

Replies

• BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    IDK I just used the iifym site and it says my TDEE is 1700, I usually eat that much or a bit more and I lose weight.
  • barefootdahl
    barefootdahl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    IDK I just used the iifym site and it says my TDEE is 1700, I usually eat that much or a bit more and I lose weight.

Thanks. I tried that one too. It told me mine was 1900!! That's what I was eating when I gained, lol!
  • barefootdahl
    Options
    I actually has it done at a Chiropractor's office for $50. It was SUPER useful in helping me set my caloric intake goals. I was surprised to find out I didn't burn as many calories as most people think they would. 2000 cals a day? That's entirely too much for me when I only burn 1460. After that, I've tried to keep my calories under 1300 everyday while also exercising. I've lost 50 pounds in 6 months after being thorough with calorie counting

Try asking your primary doctor or maybe a local gym or community center to find a cheaper version of the test.

Thank you!! That's why my fear is. Not necessarily fear, but just the thought that the "normal" isn't me. I'm not looking for an excuse as to why I'm not losing but more a focus on what to change, and the calories seem like a good start!!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    TDEE takes exercise calories into account - so if you overestimated your level of activity when you did your TDEE calculator, then it could be wrong; it also assuming a consistent levels of workout out

my TDEE is about 2050 (5'3", 150lbs) and I'm maintaining on that (my 5 day weight avg is 150.3)
  • barefootdahl
    Options
    Thanks Deanna. I always put light activity and I pretty consistently do 5 workouts per week, minimum of 30 minutes, at moderate to high intensity. I make sure it's difficult to talk etc.
    I will try it with sedentary just to see if that it more in line with other calculators.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I actually has it done at a Chiropractor's office for $50. It was SUPER useful in helping me set my caloric intake goals. I was surprised to find out I didn't burn as many calories as most people think they would. 2000 cals a day? That's entirely too much for me when I only burn 1460. After that, I've tried to keep my calories under 1300 everyday while also exercising. I've lost 50 pounds in 6 months after being thorough with calorie counting

Try asking your primary doctor or maybe a local gym or community center to find a cheaper version of the test.

Just pointing out, that even if you were eating 2000 calories you would still lose. Your average weight loss is 8.3 lbs a month, which means you are averaging 2.1 lbs a week, which translate to a calorie deficit of roughly 1,041.7 calories per day. If you average 1300 calories per day, your estimated maintenance would be 2341.7.

OP, it's a solid starting point and if you don't mind the money, then I say go for it. It's exactly why I am considering doing a DEXA scan soon.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Just use this- it's pretty accurate and free:

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

It's not even remotely close for me. I have to max out both the NEAT and TEA factors to get close to my average TDEE.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    my RMR was somewhere in the 1350 realm - so it made me acknowledge that the 1200cal that MFP initially had me on several years ago wasn't doable long-term

I've refined my eating over the last few years - focusing on TDEE and now focusing on body recomp vs losing weight - which has helped

1200 calories isn't supposed to be long term. You are supposed to lose weight and then go on maintenance. And if you are exercising (which you should be) then they would have you eating more than 1200 calories anyway.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has replied concerning my time line, nutrition, weighing food etc, but I am really just looking for input from people who have actually had this done.

My input was based on having done the test, and having administered it to others. :+1:

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    For weight loss you need to eat less than TDEE and more than BMR.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Eating above BMR isn't necessary and might not be something that certain subsets of dieters can pull off at certain points of eating at deficit.

If I were sedentary and eating 1200 which would be appropriate for my age and height, that would be below my BMR. It would only be 150 calorie deficit from the sedentary base calories MFP gives me for maintenance.
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2017
    Options

I have been asking for several years to see a study that would suggest the need for your suggestion, and no one has been able to do so. There are many factors in which you have to consider; how much of a variance between BMR/TDEE and more importantly how large of a deficit, how much protein, what kind of exercise program and how much weight do you have to lose.
  • gd7daws
    gd7daws Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Locally Kaiser (HMO) offers this to members for $55, and $75 for non members. It includes about 45 mins spent afterwards with the testing agent, who goes over the results and helps you understand all the numbers and set some calorie goals. I found it very helpful. While knowing my RMR was helpful, it was some of the other numbers that I really found helpful.

One of those numbers are what they called "lifestyle and activity" calories. In addition to my RMR, the lifestyle calories are what I would burn doing the normal things that people do on a daily basis, such as cooking meals, getting dressed, shopping, things like that. Although these are estimates, they are based on my test results. And since I can be very sedentary at times (home office worker, no kids, watch TV in the eve), I use only about 1/2 of the calories they estimate for this. That is during the week, but on the weekends I'm out and about most of the day, so I know I can use more of those calories. This allows me to be a bit more precise on a day to day basis depending on what I'm doing.

The other number I found very helpful was the estimated calorie burn for moderate planned exercise. I've used a heart rate monitor for years when doing cardio and somehow figured I burned about 400 calories an hour at my moderate pace (about 125 to 140bpm). When I started cycling and using a Garmin, my calorie burns were always much lower. So I just figured these type of units are not that accurate (and they are not when it comes to elevation). Imagine my surprise when this test was within 5 - 10 calories per hour of the Garmin. So now I have faith in what my Garmin says, both the low numbers when I'm out for a casual ride and the high numbers when I'm really pushing the watts or going long distance.

So having said all of the above, I found it very helpful and would gladly pay double the price to have the info I do. Sure, you can do on line calculators to give you some averages, but I got frustrated when using several different ones and getting up to a 500 calorie swing. Now my numbers are much closer than just averages. And when you are a 5'1, 56 year old post menopausal woman, the closer I can get to true numbers is best for me. Oh, and by the way, my Fit Bit regularly under calculates my daily calorie burn, so I don't rely on that either.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my RMR was somewhere in the 1350 realm - so it made me acknowledge that the 1200cal that MFP initially had me on several years ago wasn't doable long-term

I've refined my eating over the last few years - focusing on TDEE and now focusing on body recomp vs losing weight - which has helped

1200 calories isn't supposed to be long term. You are supposed to lose weight and then go on maintenance. And if you are exercising (which you should be) then they would have you eating more than 1200 calories anyway.

I managed less than a week on the recommended MFP calories - and then said f-it and quit because it wasn't even close to sustainable...
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    LPflaum wrote: »
    That calculator is scary accurate. It calc'd my BMR at 1411. Professional test had me a 1424

It wasn't for me. At 5'2 104 lbs, sedentary most of the day, and all the light walking I do at night, it gave me close to 3000 tdee. I wish!!

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I have not needed to do it in the sense that I will lose 1lb per week when I follow the program (although, I often don't eat all my exercise calories).

I encourage you to just go have it measured and also seek advice from your doctor, a nutritionist, and/or a life coach. Maybe you'll learn something helpful.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

remember that RMR does not include calories burnt through the day - it is the basic sedentary calorie burn

Oh I know. I still restrict though. RMR is assumed that you do absolutely nothing for 24hrs, It doesn';t help that I have a sit down job
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    I do mine once a year. My gym has it for $50 (don't know if I'd pay $100) and I do find it useful - along with the test is the analysis/chat with the dietician and her recommendations. For me, losing weight this time around and making it stick (day 1506 here) is mostly due to education and that's one more area I learned a lot about. One of the repeat ones alerted me to the fact that I was losing too much muscle since I was in the mindset of cardio, cardio, cardio. My dietician recommended one of the trainers to help me learn strength training/weights and get those muscles back.

I like data so to me it is worth it. If your budget allows it, you may find it useful. (I'm currently participating in a probiotic study that involves two DEXA scans I don't have to pay for, and I'm anxious to see those numbers when the study is over next month. All the data makes me happy :smiley: )