On a keto diet where do you get all your fats?

Options
ZodFit
ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
Having 70-75 % of your calories coming from fat I am hesitant to start this diet. What type of fats do you eat. Eggs? Fish? Avocados?

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Personally, Bacon, eggs, butter, oils, higher fat cuts of meat.
  • ZodFit
    Options
    Personally, Bacon, eggs, butter, oils, higher fat cuts of meat.

Ah I'll probably cook with more olive and coconut oil. I am not a big pork or red meat eater although I enjoy steak. How is keto working for you?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil
    Grass fed butter (kerry gold is a good one)
    Heavy cream
    bacon
    eggs
    full fat dairy
    high fat cuts of meat
    chia seeds
    Avocados
    cheese sauces on top of meat and veggies.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Most of the low carbers hang out in this group. You'll find all the info you need here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • ZodFit
    Options
    Most of the low carbers hang out in this group. You'll find all the info you need here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Thank you very much
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Green vegetables emulsified with fat...win-win, makes "health" food more palatable & easy to digest whilst achieving fat macro goal.
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    KimberlyAndrews1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Coconut & EVO Oils, Grass fed butter (I also use Kerrygold), Heavy cream, Cream Cheese, Bacon & Eggs, Avocados and Olives. Plus, high fat cuts of meat.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Nuts, Seeds, (Cold Pressed)Extra Virgin Olive Oils, Full Fat & Whole Milk Dairy & Uncured Meats, Aged Cheeses, et cetera.
  • ZodFit
    Options
    VKetoV wrote: »
    Green vegetables emulsified with fat...win-win, makes "health" food more palatable & easy to digest whilst achieving fat macro goal.

Are carbs from veggies negligible I'm allotted 26g carb with 65f/5c/30p. I'm hyped to start it up full force
  • ZodFit
    Options
    Grabbed some walnuts and high fat low carb salad dressing for marinades. Hitting protein is no problem it's hitting fats and all yalls inputs helped a lot much appreciated!!!!!!!shift1
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    VKetoV wrote: »

Are carbs from veggies negligible I'm allotted 26g carb with 65f/5c/30p. I'm hyped to start it up full force

A carb is a carb. If you are doing keto you will need to count all carbs. Chances are that veggies will end up being your largest source of carbs. Definitely count them.

My fats include whipping cream, coconut cream or coconut oil in coffee, bacon and eggs or eggs with cheese, nuts... lots of nuts, all meats (usually red), fatty fruits like olives and avocado, salad dressing, cheese dips, mayo, more cheese, and butter.

When it comes to fats, I only avoid processed/man made trans fats. The rest are fine. If you don't choose mostly lean meats (like skinless white chicken or shell fish) then you will likely get enough fats. Just avoid or limit lean cuts of meat or dairy with the words light (or less than 10% fat).
  • ZodFit
    Options
    Gotta get more cheese it seems lol thank you
  • asrai50
    asrai50 Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil, butter, heavy whipping cream, olive oil, bacon, avocados, cheese... I make a coffee in the morning with butter and coconut oil all blended together. Starts my morning and keeps me from getting hungry until later.
  • Sassafrass34
    Sassafrass34 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the delicious things you all have listed, I also utilize MCT oil (NOW Foods) because I can put it in anything. It doesn't have a flavor, has less calories than coconut oil, and has 14g fat (which is comparable to coconut oil) in 1TBS.
  • jrmy666
    jrmy666 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ive been fat adapted since April 2016. It sounds scary and feels wrong at first because of years of being told fat is bad. But I feel great. Have more energy than ever and have lost almost 100lbs. All my fats come from real butter, and heavy cream in coffee. Eggs, cheese and avocados are good but will put you over in protein quickly. Protein needs to stay moderate, not high. So that being said- heavy cream, cook all veggies in butter or coconut oil. Go for full fat sauces and dressings like Ranch or thousand isld. Add sour cream to dishes when you can, etc. Also when you do eat protein try to stick to fattier cuts of meat like rib eyes and NY strip steaks.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheese, nuts, oily fish. My breakfast had nearly 50g of fat.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Also if you find yourself not getting enough fats you could make "fat bombs" if need be. Google it and you will find a multitude of recipes
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    One thing to remember with low carb diets is that the fat goal is flexible. Carbs are usually set at a hard ceiling and are not something to be exceeded. Protein is a goal you want to hit or exceed. You may even want it a bit higer than normal while losing. Fat just fills in the rest, and that includes body fat.

If you are not that hungry in a day, eat less fat. If you are hungry, eat more fat. If you eat 800 kcal on a non-hungry day, and then 2000 kcal the next day, both days should have similar protein levels, and both days will not exceed your carb maximum, but fat will vary by hundreds of calories.

Really, for those of us losing weight, we already have the high fat, all we need is the low carb to meet that macro goal. ;)
  • ZodFit
    Options
    Yeah my first meal today was a cup of egg whites, serving of spinach. Munster cheese and turkey kielbasa. I have walnuts but really wanna eat them with something else...maybe my protein shake
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Sounds good. You can add back in the yolk if calories and hunger allows it.