Any weigh in rituals?????

Options

Replies

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    No rituals. I work out of town and weigh at home on the weekend. I do often see a drop between Saturday and Sunday, especially if Friday's dinner is carb heavy. It could be a little extra sodium from eating something on the road but I figure it is mostly from exercise.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only ritual i have is that i will not weigh if i haven't peed AND pooped, if the latter happens during or after my first cup of coffee, then i put off weighing until the next day. I'm pretty regular, usually within 10 minutes of getting up, so i don't have to putting off weighing too many times during the week.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,191 Member
    Options
    Every day, first thing in the morning, after peeing, naked. Weigh 2-3 times until I get the same weight/BF% twice. ;) Record in Libra for trending purposes, go on with life.

I've been weighing myself daily for years, even when not losing, so fluctuations don't freak me out. I know what causes them, usually can predict them within reason, and can reliably estimate how long before the up-fluctuations will drop off again. It's just data.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I weight in a bra and panties just after I've dried my hair after my post-workout shower on the premise that I'm slightly dehydrated after a workout. I use the old fashioned heavy-duty health-care counterbalance scale (so no scale error!) in the locker room.

I also always slide the counterweights to my maintenance weight BEFORE stepping up on the scale (never step then slide . . ) on the premise that . . oh, hell, who am I kidding-- no premise, just entirely hocus pocus ritual.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Does taking a wizz before count?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Does taking a wizz before count?

yes...I usually have a very full bladder in the morning.
    ogtmama wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Yup...the following must happen for me to step on the scale.

1. Naked
    2. First thing in the morning after I go
    3. no wet hair
    4. no excess sodium the day before
    5. no exercise the day before

so the planets must all align...and they don't often so I get on the scale usually about once every 2 or 3 months...

I told my friend all the things that can affect your weigh in (salt, exercise, tom, ovulating, etc) and she replied "so basically your weight is right every third Tuesday at exactly 2:53?" Yes.

and yes she is correct hence why we shouldn't put too much emphasis on it and why some of us have such drawn out rituals...overrated bathroom scales are.
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the same as everyone else. Toilet, Get naked, Step on (Cry if I'm not happy with results) :D
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I guess im the only one who steps on the scale with clothes on? I get up in the morning and use the restroom and step on the scale with my pj's on. I might test the water retention after a workout/rest day and see if that actually matters for myself, though. Never considered that to be a possibility.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    I guess im the only one who steps on the scale with clothes on? I get up in the morning and use the restroom and step on the scale with my pj's on. I might test the water retention after a workout/rest day and see if that actually matters for myself, though. Never considered that to be a possibility.

Consistency is really the key. The actual weight isn't important just that the scale is going in the right direction. First thing in the morning on whatever is your weigh-in day. I record daily.

Been stuck at one weight all frikken week. Bit of an expected bump up because of Superbowl (my bump is always 2 days later, so Tuesday) then right back to that same damn weight. Finally whooshed this morning (1.9 lbs different than yesterday) but god it gets frustrating.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

You'd be surprised how much your pajamas weigh!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »

You'd be surprised how much your pajamas weigh!

As long as they always weigh wearing them, they are probably less than the error of the scale anyway. Just don't be excited by the weight loss if you weigh naked one day.
  • djwar9858
    djwar9858 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    No, I weigh in at work fully clothed. I remove my shoes. Maybe I'm a couple pounds of clothing lighter than I thought? Get too obsessed, so I don't own a scale.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options

I sleep in a tank top and underwear and that is what I weigh in. I actually weighed in my sleep clothes and then naked and got the same weight so I know that my clothes aren't adding anything as long as I wear the same thing each time. If it is cold and I wear pajama pants I take those off before I weigh because they add almost 2 pounds. But even if your clothes are adding 2 pounds if you're wearing the same clothes every time you will still see your loss.

My ritual is wake up, pee, start the coffee and weigh. I never eat or drink anything before I weigh. I always step on the scale twice unless I get a different reading. If I do, I step on it 3 times and take the average and then I know I need to change my scale batteries. I usually get the same weight both times.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I don't get naked to weigh, especially not in winter! In summer i wear boxer shorts and tank top to bed, in winter pj pants and tank top, none of which make a noticeable difference on the scale.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,191 Member
    Options
    I'm hearing hints in some posts that suggest one has a "true weight". Not really so.

It's more like we have a small range of weight, which will vary through the day as well as from day to day, even if we're not gaining/losing fat or muscle. (Less fiber in yesterday's food, more sodium in last night's dinner, sweating from exercise, etc.) Weighing is just a snapshot of a moment in those continuous cycles.

We also have a direction of weight: Here on MFP, lots of people want that direction to be "downward". Expect your daily weight to take a jagged, slightly up/slightly course in an overall downward direction, if you're on track.

Lots of us do that "first thing in the morning, after the bathroom, naked" thing just to filter out extraneous variables. There's no point in doing anything to pursue "one true weight".
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    get up in the morning, drink a bit of water, go to the bathroom, weigh naked. every day :smile:
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I always have to reset the scale because my cats like to walk on it and it gets confused. Same as the majority in rituals. I also like to workout first thing so I know I consistently sweat out 0.8lbs during my hour on the bike.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I am kind of weird. I am trying to gain weight, and I weigh myself twice on Mondays and Fridays. First weigh in is in the morning after I go to the bathroom and before I eat. The second time around noonish - some time after I ate breakfast and a snack. I do this because I go to the doctor's office frequently, and I have to eat before hand since my blood pressure is super low. I tend to enter in the 2nd weigh in to my MFP to get an idea of what I'll see at the clinic (and to get me to eat more), but I pay attention to both trends.