No more exercise...

Options
So I've been told by my psychiatrist no more exercise for a week as I developed a unhealthy relationship with it and lord (Anorexia/Depression etc.). Now this has sent me into a bit of a panic because I obviously feel I have to exercise to eat, and when I ate because I don't feel I can control my food, I eat everything at night to fuel my early morning exercises so I would also binge a fair bit after a mega dinner (hence the problem).

My question is, for those that either do little to no deliberate exercise or those that have gone through something similar, how do you deal with weight loss/maintaining on just eating? What if you get cravings for food, how do you stop yourself eating it/something similar? How do you get the willpower to stop at just 'one piece of chocolate' or say no to something someone at work brought in but is staring at you all damn day?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. Hugs. Figure out what your calorie needs are and go from there. You certainly don't need to exercise so much.
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You mention that you are dealing with depression and ED. So sorry you are going through this. I wish I had magic words to make you feel better.

Have you discussed your exercise/calorie restriction concerns with your psychiatrist?

Yeah - it's the reason I was referred. It was them who suggested that to beat this I have to go no exercise because that's the problem. Or as he says:

A patient goes to a doctor and say's my head hurts because I keep bashing my head against a wall. A doctor/common sense is going to say stop bashing your head against the wall then we talk about why you bash your head.

He, rightly I guess, says I need to stop exercising cold turkey for at least a week which for half a day I find a struggle currently
  • miratps
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    Your exercise is not burning that many calories, being alive burns the majority of them. As for treats if you can't control yourself then don't allow any to be near you. Don't take the first piece of chocolate, have an apple instead. Eat as much protein as you possibly can, you won't be hungry, and your body will thank you.

Hope so but trying am constantly hungry when I do try and eat 'normal' meals at set times that I sometimes find it easier to starve myself then gorge at night
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    In a week take up some yoga, the relaxing kind. Be good to yourself.
  • oceandaisies
    oceandaisies Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are going through this too.

I don't "exercise" daily. I walk 30 minutes most days I am off work to get some fresh air, do some yoga -mostly for back pain or relaxing before bed, I had started a running program but the snow has stopped that currently. Really the weather has stopped me wanting to leave the house.

I am currently set to a 1lb/week loss and walk about 7000-7500 steps per day in a normal day of activity no exercise. My calories allotted are 1330/day plus my steps as some days I walk less than others. I usually eat around 1500-1600 cals per day.

I sometimes struggle with late night bingeing or cravings and have found a few things that help. I drink a cup of tea instead - herbal kind of some sort plain or maybe with a tsp of honey. If I really think I "need" to eat, I make myself choose something healthy like an apple or other piece of fruit not the chocolate I want. Sometimes, I then realize I don't really need a snack. Maybe taking up some sort of hobby like knitting or ? that keeps your hands and/or mind busy?

I also don't keep anything in the house I think I couldn't resist (i.e. I could eat the whole bag of chips). When I first started last June that was any junk food, chocolate, pop etc. I now keep some pop in the house and a little chocolate (I keep it in the freezer) but no chips or other junk. I will have a chocolate as my evening snack with tea but I take the piece out I am going to eat and put the rest away.

You are welcome to add me as a friend on here if you want as my diary is open to friends.

Good luck and remember take each day as it comes and persevere, you can do this!

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are in this type of pain. It can and will pass. Just focus on logic not how you feel.

What you want is balance and a good relationship with food. Your doctor wants to help you. Have him work it out with you... what your weight should be and how many calories a day you need to eat to be that weight. Then just eat those calories. Trust. Go ahead and forget the exercise for now, since that is complicating things. But you need to trust a professional who has your best health at heart. I bet as your behavior normalizes..so will your emotions over food.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I found yoga and walking outside to be more relaxing than full-on workouts. They are what I would do when put on "exercise restriction". Do something to help you relax, drink warm herbal tea, go to bed early instead of having dessert or bingeing.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You're in a tough spot. My daughter suffered from exercise compulsion with her ED also. I used to sit with her after she ate to help with the compulsions. I also had her sleep in my room with me sometimes because she would get up in the middle of the night to exercise.

Do you have a friend or significant other who might be able to help you in a similar way. Sometimes knowing someone is there helps you stay distracted.
  • MNFitnessGal
    MNFitnessGal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. Hang in there. What to do about cravings? I had a big sugar craving and I honestly just avoided sugar for a few weeks and really it stopped the cravings about 90%. I have a friend who loses weight without exercise. Increase your fiber to help you feel full. Know how many calories you are allowed in a day. Use the food journal here to keep track of fat/protein/carbs etc. Eat more veggies and try almond butter for celery sticks, it tastes pretty good and it's healthy fats. Doesn't your dr. think that regular walks would still be ok? Obviously listen to him/her, but hopefully this can be added in eventually as it's good for everyone, young and old. Protein fills you up too. Read through the message board for food advice. Some good information is available. Also the blogs. Go for low glycemic foods so your blood sugars don't spike. YOu didn't gain it overnight, give yourself permission to accept that it will take time. :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm so happy you are getting some help with this. If I remember correctly, you were walking for hours on end, and losing weight quite rapidly. Follow the suggestions of your psychiatrist. I know it's going to be uncomfortable for you to break away from these habits. Find some other coping mechanisms to deal with the stress and anxiety (meditation, reading, volunteering for homeless or at an animal shelter). It will pass. The fact that you have taken the steps to get help, tells me you can do this.

As for the food. Your previous posts had suggested you were at goal weight (5'6" and 125lbs), did you gain a bit back, or are you still at goal weight?
  • miratps
    Options
    Thank you all for the support, it is very much appreciated and some of these tips have been noted! Yeah they are trying to help etc. but it is so so hard for me and I just do not understand why.
    I find that it is easier to exercise willpower at the grocery store than what it is to exercise willpower at home.

It is technically (although for me I'm weak everywhere). For me the big issue is moderation - I just want to keep eating no matter what but felt I could justify it but now I can't. My appetite I don't think has decreased despite no exercise which is worrying me
    You're in a tough spot. My daughter suffered from exercise compulsion with her ED also. I used to sit with her after she ate to help with the compulsions. I also had her sleep in my room with me sometimes because she would get up in the middle of the night to exercise.

Do you have a friend or significant other who might be able to help you in a similar way. Sometimes knowing someone is there helps you stay distracted.

I've asked my loved ones to essentially do the same where possible and sometimes I've still found ways around it but I genuinely do feel I need my parents/someone to do exactly what you did and basically monitor me constantly otherwise I feel I will slip very quickly. How is your daughter now? And I think it's fantastic you were there and so supportive for her.
  • miratps
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I'm so happy you are getting some help with this. If I remember correctly, you were walking for hours on end, and losing weight quite rapidly. Follow the suggestions of your psychiatrist. I know it's going to be uncomfortable for you to break away from these habits. Find some other coping mechanisms to deal with the stress and anxiety (meditation, reading, volunteering for homeless or at an animal shelter). It will pass. The fact that you have taken the steps to get help, tells me you can do this.

As for the food. Your previous posts had suggested you were at goal weight (5'6" and 125lbs), did you gain a bit back, or are you still at goal weight?

I am indeed, well remembered! Although I guess I shouldn't be proud that I was memorable considering

I really hope I can but even today (first day) was a struggle and I cheated a bit by getting somewhere earlier the slightly longer way and a bit early to walk a bit despite the pain.

I'm fluctuating around that weight, I am petrified of putting on weight yet since I've gone back to eating a lot I can't seem to moderate and therefore the idea of not burning more than I am eating just doesn't't sit right. I feel now I have to eat less which is painful
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Find a completely different thing to focus on rather than food or exercise. Then joins group that does that...volunteer, sport, learn something new. Your focus will change.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I find that it is easier to exercise willpower at the grocery store than what it is to exercise willpower at home.

Me too. So I don't bring it home.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I found the headspace app to be very helpful for my anxiety. It's a mindfulness meditation thing. Mindfulness has been shown in some clinical trials to be helpful for anxiety disorders and depression, so it might be worth a shot.

You could also try something mentally absorbing to take your mind off - painting or knitting, puzzles etc. Video games maybe? I highly recommend bioware! If you're a social person volunteering might help, or joining a social club or society. Board games/ magic the gathering maybe?
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Do
    miratps wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I am indeed, well remembered! Although I guess I shouldn't be proud that I was memorable considering

I really hope I can but even today (first day) was a struggle and I cheated a bit by getting somewhere earlier the slightly longer way and a bit early to walk a bit despite the pain.

I'm fluctuating around that weight, I am petrified of putting on weight yet since I've gone back to eating a lot I can't seem to moderate and therefore the idea of not burning more than I am eating just doesn't't sit right. I feel now I have to eat less which is painful

So were you eating a lot and just exercising a lot to compensate for the extra calories?