Do you try to limit your sugar intake or do you only care about calories?

Options
Sugar is in everything! I would like to limit my sugar intake to hopefully stop having bad sugar cravings but it's in everything I enjoy. I love fruit, cereals, yogurt, ice cream and sometimes I have really bad chocolate cravings. How did you kick the sugar habit or did you just accept it and fit these foods in your daily calories?

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    when I am logging i don't track sugar at all. I just track total calories
    I have a sweet tooth and some things are best left in the shop. I.e haribo sweets. Lol
    I have some 10 cal jelly and 39 calorie hot chocolate to help
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of prepared treats and it was a long process of cutting them back to a manageable amount.

I kind of had to make the decision to be able to eat enough other nutritious foods or be hungry all the time if I wanted to stay within my allotted calories and still have regular cookies (or the equivalent.)

You can still eat sugary things. I have fruit and plain yogurt every day. I have one teaspoon of added sugar spread out over a couple cups of coffee, and I have milk, cheese, and many prepared foods with sugar (like spaghetti, bbq sauce, etc.) I just make it work, calorie-wise.
  • SophieeBrook
    SophieeBrook Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The only sugar I track is added sugar. I dont track sugar from natural sources like fruit. The added sugar and processed foods are the ones we should avoid. :smile:
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I eat right around or under the RDA recommendations. I don't eat fruit or grains really. I'm on the lower side of carbs. I add sugar to my coffee once per day, eat a treat once per day...pretty easy actually. And I love sugar too. I actually have a painful side effect when I eat too high carb/sugar so I need to moderate but find that on a day to day basis it comes naturally.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I need to eat a fairly strict low carb diet in order to eliminate cravings. It's unfortunate I had to go that route but I enjoy low carb foods as well as sweets, starches and grains so it's not exactly a hardship. Having a normal appetite and not being ruled by cravings and obsessive food thoughts is definitely worth it to me.

Experiment. Something will work it just takes time to figure out that perfect combination of enjoyable and sustainable. Best wishes.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to focus on what I'm putting into my diet instead of what I'm taking out. I focus on calories, my protein minimum, getting my veggies into every meal, and sometimes other things like fiber or iron. Doing this naturally keeps my sugar lower (though not really "low") without feeling deprived.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I focus on protein, fat, and calories. Once those are in check, everything falls into place for me. In 3+ years I've never looked at my sugar numbers.

Same here. As far as added sugar it becomes obvious quite quickly if you want to maintain a calorie deficit and still provide yourself optimal nutrition some of that may have to go. I do fit some sweets into my daily allotment, just a lot less than in the past.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I focus on protein, fat and carbs in that order (because the first two are the most satisfying and the third completes the perfect satiety trifecta for me personally).

I happen to not eat a lot of fruit or sweet things, at most a banana and some dried fruit once a day. And perhaps a snack size chocolate or biscuit bar.

So calories for me really. If it fits, I eats. Don't think I ever look at sugar in my nutrition intake info.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have tried to cut out sugar many times, and I was really afraid of sugar, but it was so difficult. Then I learnt why I was so afraid, and why it seemed impossible to eliminate: Sugar is sugar, and there is naturally occurring sugar in fruit, vegetables and dairy. Sugar isn't toxic, and it doesn't negate the nutrition in the food it is added to. Sugar is even extracted from (natural) plants. (Actually, it was the Lemurcat in here who explained it to me so I finally understood. Many thanks to her.)

Cravings come partly from the habit of eating too much of whatever you are craving, partly from trying to restrict those foods, partly from being surrounded by them (temptation and availability), partly from worry about not eating healthily enough, partly from lack of nutrition, which may in part be caused by too much sugary and low-nutrient foods taking up room from more nutritious food.

I am much more relaxed about sugar (and food choices generally) now, and I just make sure I don't buy "for the house" anything I know I have trouble moderating. My preferences in food has also broadened, so I enjoy a lot more variety than I did before, which also leads to better nutrition, which in turn contributes to lessen cravings.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    As a Type 2 Diabetic, I try to limit high sugar and high starch foods. I still consume them, as I love the taste of them ... they have to play into my calorie and total carb allowance for the day, within reason. For example, I like pie and once in a while I purchase a piece for myself, I also adore candy and will purchase a little bit once in a while ... but not in the same week as I had pie. If I have bread on a day, I'll only have it one time, and not on a day when I plan to have rice or pasta, a potato, or had pie or candy ... And, when I haven't had any of that kind of food, I'll sometimes have a cup of tea with some crystalized ginger, lemon slices, and a teaspoon of honey; or I'll make a cup of hot cocoa with milk, Hershey's chocolate powder (used for baking) and either a teaspoon of sugar or one of honey; as a snack .... invariably, however, on the days I have the type of foods mentioned above, I will have a higher fasting blood glucose reading the next morning (12 hour fast) ... so I do try to be very careful of how often I have these treats.

PS ... and my most favorite of the foods that I have to be extremely cautious with is dried fruit. I just love, love, love any and all of the dried fruits ... raisins, prunes, apricots, pears, apples, peaches, dates, figs ... dried cherries and cranberries - not so much because the cherries always have a burnt taste and the cranberries are rubbery due to too much sugar in the processing of them. Dried banana chips, mangos, pineapple, etc .. not at all ... I'd rather have crystalized ginger or homestyle candied citrus fruit peels.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    As many above, I don't track my sugar specifically. The only "limiting" I do is to drink Cherry Coke Zero instead of regular, but that's it (and that's more about calories than sugar). I wouldn't sweat it, especially in reference to fruits and yogurt, unless you have special considerations with the body regulating sugar.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    As many above, I don't track my sugar specifically. The only "limiting" I do is to drink Cherry Coke Zero instead of regular, but that's it (and that's more about calories than sugar). I wouldn't sweat it, especially in reference to fruits and yogurt, unless you have special considerations with the body regulating sugar.

WHAT?!? THATS A THING????????? *kitten* i need to look at the grocery store when i go later today...

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I have cut back on a lot of sugary foods, but that's more a product of calorie counting and trying to hit a protein minimum. The sugar itself, idgaf.
  • jillybeansalad
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    WHAT?!? THATS A THING????????? *kitten* i need to look at the grocery store when i go later today...

Yup! I don't generally enjoy "fake sugar" alternatives, but the cherry hides it pretty well. I still get my caffeine and fizz without the 250 calories that I could use for ice cream. lol

• JaydedMiss
    Options
    Sounds like a delicious thing to mix with my rum.... I hope its in canada :D
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I as I was educated to eat like a diabetic I have cut a lot of sugar out of my diet but I still enjoy sweet. All fruit are fair game. Artificial sweeteners help. Stevia in my pancakes this morning.

Sadly cherry Coke Zero is not available in Canada.

https://www.amazon.com/Coca-Cola-Cherry-Coke-12-Ounce/dp/B0050MLWWI

yet

https://www.facebook.com/Bring-Cherry-Coke-and-Cherry-Coke-Zero-to-Canada-154319681272015/
  • jillybeansalad
    Options
    Terrible news. Sorry, Canada.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    Terrible news. Sorry, Canada.

Rip me. Its okay i like pepermint sprite :p
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar, instead preferring to look at my fiber intake. My biggest concern is usually calories, though.

...having said that, I have an insatiable sweet tooth when it comes to sweets, and I've been craving them a lot lately. Since they are typically higher in calories and I could get better nutrients from eating other "healthier" foods besides these, I've been trying to limit my intake of those lately.