What's your diet like? What's working for you?

Options

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Nothing off-limits. I don't have cheat days, but about once a week, I make some less-healthy choices. (I attend synagogue services. Afterwards, there's a buffet with slow-cooker stew, potato kugel, cakes and pastries, fruits, and veggies and dip. I find that pre-planning, recognizing that I can take one frosted cookie and two pieces of kugel and be within my daily calories helps. Because if I give myself that treat, I can stick to melon cubes and cherry tomatoes for the rest.) In other words, "A treat is not necessarily a cheat". I find that when I track in advance, I lose the guilt and the negative self-talk about 'blowing my diet'. Seeing ahead of time that I can have that cookie, that I have the calories in my daily total to allow a half-cup of sorbet spares me a lot of my old anxieties about weight-loss.

I'm not at all athletic, but when weather permits, I take walks of an hour or more. When weather doesn't permit, I do 35 minutes on a Nordic skier. And I'm doing a bit of toning with fitness tubes, too.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I eat everything I used to eat and maintain a calorie deficit through moderation and portion control. I do cardio 5-6 times/week and just started lifting 3 days/week, but I do those things primarily for health and fitness, not weight loss.
  • melissawill2017
    melissawill2017 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1600 calories/day and have been maintaining this for 3 weeks now. I lost 8.8 lbs. the first 2 weeks and haven't weighed since; as I try to not obsess over what the scale reads. I eat whatever I want or am craving with moderation. I have to do something sustainable and not depriving myself of anything is the only solution that works for me. Good luck to you!
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    i weigh every single thing that goes in my mouth each and every day and log it all. i stay within calories almost every day (except for a couple of planned "cheat days" per month) i have lost 28 pounds so far - and i feel great! (oh, i also walk every day)
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm a keto-eater. Been that way for nearly 3 years and have lost 84lbs with about 6 more to go. I make sure I get at least 10k steps a day or more and swim 2-3 times a week - usually 1km each swim. Calories set to 1142 - and I try not to eat back any exercise calories which give me a bit of room for ups and downs. Daily calorie burn is about 1700. In January I managed to lose 2lb 8oz (1.3kg) and I was happy with that. Gets harder the closer the goal comes!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I eat reasonable portions, intuitive way of eating. Lost 70 lbs this way and have been maintaining for 3 months. No off limits foods, just portion size. Green smoothie with fruit and peanut butter for breakfast, raw veggies, egg and greek yogurt for lunch plus some fruit and nuts, dinner varies the most, meat or fish, grains, usually a side of veggies too and/ or a salad. Then snacks, nuts, chocolate, preserves, popcorn, etc.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What seems to work for me is that I go big with protein for breakfast, then go big again for dinner. That's my pattern on work days. On weekends it's a little different, with smaller breakfast and bigger lunch.

Of course I weigh and log everything. That's a habit now but a year ago it was an education.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've been maintaining an 80 pound loss for almost 4 years.

What works for me is eating balanced meals and I IF naturally. I enjoy eating 2 - 3 larger meals spaced out throughout the day and no snacking.

Over the past year I have not eaten any meat, so I'm slightly higher carb now and it's working well for me.

I also listen to my body. I stop eating when I'm close to getting full, I had to learn that it was okay to leave food on my plate and I don't pay attention to the clock. I eat when I am hungry. It took me some years to build to this point however.

I don't cut foods out although I prefer not to drink my calories. I weigh things like my unsalted cashews and walnuts and put them into portioned snack baggies.

Lastly, I'm a planner. I plan out my meals the day before and when I go out to eat I always look at menus online ahead of time.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    A dietitian convinced me to concentrate on eating protein first, at least 25 grams per meal, and then fill up with veggies. 1/2 serving of fruit or 1/4 cup grains if I'm still hungry after the protein and veggies, and a bit of nuts, olive oil or avocado if my protein selection was very lean. I generally eat between 1250 - 1350 calories.

As someone who lived for carbs, I thought it would be impossible, but I'm very happy on this diet. It makes me feel satisfied, and I've lost 27 pounds in a little over two months. This is my bazillionth diet, and by far the one that agrees with me best. This one's a keeper -- for the rest of my life :)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    BTW, this is what my mother, my grandmother and my great grandmother did to lose weight. (!)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Mostly clean eating, eating 300 calories less than TDEE, and making sure I get at least 90 grams of protein and 25 grams of fiber per day.
  • MissBecca145
    MissBecca145 Posts: 149 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Most of the time nothing is off limits, but I do focus on eating 'healthy' nutrient dense foods. That doesn't mean I don't allow myself some pizza or ice cream or anything. They have just become what they are supposed to be: sometimes foods.

Every now and then if I'm feeling a bit crap and my food choices have been less than great I'll go a bit mental and cut out a bunch of stuff to kind of 're-set' (I don't believe in detoxes or cleanses - more a way of training my body away from garbage for a time) in which I cut out gluten, dairy, caffeine, alcohol and added sugar. I mean you will lose weight for sure, but it's not sustainable. Well not for me anyway.

Then there are days like I have coming up on Saturday (my 30th birthday!) where I will count nothing and live life as a human being who isn't a calorie counting machine. Then jump straight back on the wagon knowing that any 'damage' I do will be mitigated by the 10K cal deficit I generally run in a week.

Edit: to say that's just what works for me.
  • themedmiss
    themedmiss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    20 pounds lost since May. Nothing too fast. Currently 5'6 F 163lbs. My base is 1700 calories for a pound of week. Try to plan my day around that, and if I want more food, I make sure to work out a little more. Lol. I do power cycling, master's swimming, stair climber/core, zumba, water aerobics. I was a college athlete, so I'm working on giving my joints a break from heavy lifting for so long. Just enjoy the ride, and remember that as long as you're moving forward in health, you're doing great! Don't set a time limit or a required date for results--health is a lifelong project!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my diet?

whatever i want as long as it fits in my calories

ive lost 80+pounds doing it that way.

• gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Sticking to my calorie goal = what works. To make that happen I stop thinking about/focusing on food as the high point of the day--I focus on my morning prayer/yoga/laundry folding time and gym time as the parts to plan around/look forward to instead of thinking about what I'm going to fix for dinner. So for date nights and family time, I pay more attention to an activity than going out to eat.

I make dinner for my kids and husband (all normal to under weight) and just make it meaty meals that are not tempting for me (vegetarian). I eat kinda "eh" meals and then enjoy my post dinner snack.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Eating a balanced and varied diet consisting largely of whole foods and minimally processed food goods along with regular exercise and pizza night on Fridays.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Eating around 1,300 calories. I've lost 40lbs so far but hit a plateau so now I'm ramping up to start at the gym. For the diet, I've not cut anything out, just eating less, and truly appreciating my food and drink when I know it is high calorie (apple juice is like candy now, and candy is like Christmas LOL). I've also made it a habit to take half my meal home when I eat out. I also just plain don't give myself a choice with my packed lunch. Eating mindlessly at the office is very easy, so I've better planned my lunches. I'll pack something yummy but sensible for the main (a SmartOnes, or leftover spaghetti squash, or salad, or a sandwich) and I'll pack veggies or fruit as a side, and if I don't want to eat it, "Well, guess you're not really hungry then" - I used to pack crackers, cheese, pudding cups, etc and would gobble it up.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    No "diet" for me. Just controlled portions, smart choices, nothing totally off limits, cut WAY back on drinking beer. I switched to La Croix sparkling water (I'm addicted to that stuff). I try to walk every day, at least 40 mins, sometimes more. Trying to make changes that I can live with forever