Am I eating enough with 21 day fix?

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on my instagram doing 21 day fix and she posts pics of her meals and it seriously makes me want to send her antidepressants... her meals look sad and tiny to me.

q2hjudgo61kw.png

I would seriously die.. I would eat this itty bitty meals and get my cardio in by digging my own grave LOL

That's a snack!

Thats what i thought, but her instagram says "Todays lunch!"

Is that an avocado in the upper corner? One half of an avocado is calorie dense. Turn it into tuna fish salad on bread, lunch!

Yep, it is half an avocado..

but all of her meals seem... small...

d9yfkbe2udhc.png
    jbdqhptwht8c.png
    031mgard1789.png

Unrelated, but... how do people eat only 2 slices of tomatoes and a few slices of cucumber? What's the reasoning behind not eating the whole tomato/cucumber? Do they stash the cut part back in the fridge?

On topic: is this done to save space in the containers?
    I don't eat tomatoes - but I cut off parts of the cucumber and put the rest in the fridge. It's easily good for 5-6 days. Bananas and apples must be eaten in their entirety - but I also slice and freeze bananas.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't know enough about how 21 day fix works i guess.. i always just assumed what was there was what fit into the colored containers.

that is the basic premise - each container color is a different type of food, you get so many containers per color a day
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    what does MFP give you for your daily calorie goal?

from what I'm seeing from other folks who have used 21 day fix - the amount of calories is highly variable - depending on how stuffed you make the little container

I'd say this is likely the culprit. If you're using the containers and (assuming) not weighing your food, you're probably eating more than you realize. Containers and measuring cups are too easy to overfill. Plus, at your current weight, you are just right outside the healthy weight range for your height, so weight loss is going to be slower. It's at this point you have to start being as accurate as possible.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on my instagram doing 21 day fix and she posts pics of her meals and it seriously makes me want to send her antidepressants... her meals look sad and tiny to me.

q2hjudgo61kw.png

I would seriously die.. I would eat this itty bitty meals and get my cardio in by digging my own grave LOL

That's a snack!

Is that an avocado in the upper corner? One half of an avocado is calorie dense. Turn it into tuna fish salad on bread, lunch!

d9yfkbe2udhc.png
    jbdqhptwht8c.png
    031mgard1789.png

I would eat all of that as one meal and snack.
  • childofares
    childofares Posts: 51 Member
    Options

q2hjudgo61kw.png

That's a snack!

d9yfkbe2udhc.png
    jbdqhptwht8c.png
    031mgard1789.png

Those look like pretty filling meals tho if they are spaced out properly. My issue is I go half a day not eating and then I eat everything in sight :(

I just started the fix and my issue with it so far is I'm having to eat like every 2 hours! I have a job lol!
  • LoeyJones
    LoeyJones Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have previous experience with 21DF. Not all foods fit into containers - cucumbers, for example. 1 half of a cucumber = 1 green container. 10 baby carrots = 1 green container. 3 slices of turkey bacon = 1 red container. These are just ones I know off the top of my head because they're frequent for me, but you get a little booklet with your program that explains the measurements for the ones that don't get "stuffed" into the containers.

I had fairly good success with 21DF and 21DF extreme, but I did find that it agitated my eating disorder and it got to the point that I was being way too restrictive with my food choices and the amount that I was eating. FWIW, I still drink Shakeology daily and I use the upper fix & lower fix workouts together on Mondays as part of strength training while I'm training for a half marathon.

I'm currently doing 1200 cals + eating back 1/2 my run cals, but her meals look normal for what I eat as a lunch. When I was doing BB/21DF, I preferred 6 small meals as opposed to 3 meals and snacks. YMMV.
  • napilibay
    napilibay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    what does MFP give you for your daily calorie goal?

from what I'm seeing from other folks who have used 21 day fix - the amount of calories is highly variable - depending on how stuffed you make the little container

I'd say this is likely the culprit. If you're using the containers and (assuming) not weighing your food, you're probably eating more than you realize. Containers and measuring cups are too easy to overfill. Plus, at your current weight, you are just right outside the healthy weight range for your height, so weight loss is going to be slower. It's at this point you have to start being as accurate as possible.

Thanks, I actually don't use the containers, I weigh everything and use the overall plan as a guide such as 2 fruits per day, 4 proteins per day, etc. I track everything here. If I'm eating 1300-1400 calories per day and burning 2500 per week, I thought I'd break this by now.
  • napilibay
    Options
    LoeyJones wrote: »
    I have previous experience with 21DF. Not all foods fit into containers - cucumbers, for example. 1 half of a cucumber = 1 green container. 10 baby carrots = 1 green container. 3 slices of turkey bacon = 1 red container. These are just ones I know off the top of my head because they're frequent for me, but you get a little booklet with your program that explains the measurements for the ones that don't get "stuffed" into the containers.

I had fairly good success with 21DF and 21DF extreme, but I did find that it agitated my eating disorder and it got to the point that I was being way too restrictive with my food choices and the amount that I was eating. FWIW, I still drink Shakeology daily and I use the upper fix & lower fix workouts together on Mondays as part of strength training while I'm training for a half marathon.

I'm currently doing 1200 cals + eating back 1/2 my run cals, but her meals look normal for what I eat as a lunch. When I was doing BB/21DF, I preferred 6 small meals as opposed to 3 meals and snacks. YMMV.

Hi, thanks. So if I burn say 500 per day would you recommend I eat half back? My fitness pal gives me 1260 cals and I typically come in at 1300 even when I work out.
  • LoeyJones
    Options
    napilibay wrote: »

Hi, thanks. So if I burn say 500 per day would you recommend I eat half back? My fitness pal gives me 1260 cals and I typically come in at 1300 even when I work out.

Are you using a heart rate monitor to track cals burned or are you just going by what Beach Body says you burn in workouts? I know for me my burn was typically less than what they say you can burn. This may be part of your weight loss stall, as you might think you're burning more than you actually are.

It will also depend on how you have your MFP set up. What do you have your activity level set to? For me, I have mine set to sedentary intentionally so it counts all of my workout cals as "earned back." It gives me 1200 as my recommended calories, but then when I sync my fitbit up it will show any extra calories I've earned. If you have your activity level set higher, MFP is already accounting for those workout calories in your total. :smile:
  • napilibay
    Options
    LoeyJones wrote: »

Are you using a heart rate monitor to track cals burned or are you just going by what Beach Body says you burn in workouts? I know for me my burn was typically less than what they say you can burn. This may be part of your weight loss stall, as you might think you're burning more than you actually are.

It will also depend on how you have your MFP set up. What do you have your activity level set to? For me, I have mine set to sedentary intentionally so it counts all of my workout cals as "earned back." It gives me 1200 as my recommended calories, but then when I sync my fitbit up it will show any extra calories I've earned. If you have your activity level set higher, MFP is already accounting for those workout calories in your total. :smile:

Hi, I use my polar heart rate monitor for calories burned and have MFP set for sedentary too. Thanks
  • LoeyJones
    Options

Hi, I use my polar heart rate monitor for calories burned and have MFP set for sedentary too. Thanks

Does Polar sync to MFP? I haven't used that, I've only used my Fitbit and my Garmin running watch. If it syncs in, you won't need to eat your cals back as MFP is accounting for those and would show them to you if you needed them. If it doesn't, I would recommend manually adding in your exercise cals. Try eating half back at first.

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

q2hjudgo61kw.png

That's a snack!

d9yfkbe2udhc.png
    jbdqhptwht8c.png
    031mgard1789.png

I think her meals look right on target. Not stuff I care for, but it looks perfectly doable, calorie-wise.