Rewards

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Yeah whatever i get to reward myself is more to get myself working out more, As i said my nail polish i walk 2 hours to get. I have yet to get myself anything for hitting a certain weight its just stuff for like, New dresses if i wanna feel sexy (i can pull off dresses now holy *kitten*)

Definatly maybe try to think like me though, Small rewards that actually add up to more movement and beter results is a good way to look at it atleast for me
  • FitOneSoon
    FitOneSoon Posts: 467 Member
    I only have two so far, 10lbs lost=spa day and 20lbs=hiring a personal trainer. Still not sure what to put for 30 and 40 down. I kinda wanted something that would boost my self esteem and help keep me on the right track. So maybe some at home equipment. I have to get there first I guess. :wink:
  • lucyluvhandles
    lucyluvhandles Posts: 138 Member
    I'm going to Vegas in April for my birthday so my rewards are cute and smaller clothes.
  • lucyluvhandles
    lucyluvhandles Posts: 138 Member
    I've never considered giving myself a reward....my motivation is to feel attractive, my ex hammered it into my head that I would never be attractive unless I lost weight (I was a size 14), and considering I'm 31 and haven't dated in 5 years, I think he may be right. So, maybe my reward will be a husband :P

Your ex sounds like an *kitten*! I say good riddance! You are beautiful the way you are and I'm sure you will find a good man who will love you and support you. Don't ever let a man try to bring you down!
  • FitOneSoon
    My reward will be walking into my doctors office and firing him after he told me I couldn't lose weight without medication.

Keep us updated on that one! ;)
  • readytobeatfat54
    readytobeatfat54 Posts: 91 Member
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Rewards for losing weight seems like getting a trophy for participating in sports.
    So?

Changing behaviour is hard work. Rewarding yourself is fun.

You have loads of good advice, but sometimes... if you've got nothing nice to say, try saying nothing.

So true. We need to retrain ourselves to not want food as our reward. Reworking things such that something else is the reward, and food is simply a necessity but not an indulgence, makes it easier.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2017
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Rewards for losing weight seems like getting a trophy for participating in sports.
    So?

Changing behaviour is hard work. Rewarding yourself is fun.

You have loads of good advice, but sometimes... if you've got nothing nice to say, try saying nothing.

So true. We need to retrain ourselves to not want food as our reward. Reworking things such that something else is the reward, and food is simply a necessity but not an indulgence, makes it easier.

pretty sure no one on this thread until you said anything about food rewards. So thats really good indicator of peoples mindsets
    Love small rewards :D
  • readytobeatfat54
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    pretty sure no one on this thread until you said anything about food rewards. So thats really good indicator of peoples mindsets Love small rewards :D

I'm not really sure what that means, sorry.

But for many of us it was previously true, when feeling bad we would dip into a pint of ice cream, or when not so glum would look forward to eating out. It made food the reward. Therefore I think it's only natural that in this hard work of changing our body chemistry we would want to replace such a reward mechanism with something healthier. I support it.

• readytobeatfat54
    On rewards, has anyone tried any of the various rewards apps? Basically they track how much you walk or your weight loss of your vegetable intake and 'reward' you with points which you can then apply towards gift certificates and such. I'm somewhat leery, but would be interested if anyone has any history using them?
  • FitOneSoon
    On rewards, has anyone tried any of the various rewards apps? Basically they track how much you walk or your weight loss of your vegetable intake and 'reward' you with points which you can then apply towards gift certificates and such. I'm somewhat leery, but would be interested if anyone has any history using them?

Didn't even know there was such a thing. That's pretty cool though.
  • readytobeatfat54

Just not sure how reliable they tend to be.

Here is an article about a few: https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/jobs-making-money/side-gigs/get-paid-to-lose-weight-resolutions/
  • dezrtdwelr
    dezrtdwelr Posts: 1 Member
    I'm hoping my reward will be less pain in my knees from arthritis...then maybe I can exercise. :s
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    It must be a girl thing vs boy thing. I do not think guys often reward themselves with purchases. I wonder if there is some research study that shows if one way or the other is more successful?
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    clags301 wrote: »

I'm kinda with you on this one. The reward for me is being healthy, feeling confident and rocking size 4 jeans!

Not saying this to be mean at all because you asked what people reward themselves with. I agree with the above. My reward is feeling good about myself, being able to run up a flight of steps without getting winded, going up in weights while working out. For me those rewards far outreach anything I could buy myself. So I rely on those to keep me going.
  • clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member
    It must be a girl thing vs boy thing. I do not think guys often reward themselves with purchases. I wonder if there is some research study that shows if one way or the other is more successful?

It's not a boy thing. I'm a girl.

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member

Just not sure how reliable they tend to be.

Here is an article about a few: https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/jobs-making-money/side-gigs/get-paid-to-lose-weight-resolutions/
    I've done two bets through Diet Bet, and they're legit. I'm now doing a "Transformer", which is a 10% loss in 6 months. They require an ambitious but safe weight loss - 4% in 1 month, or the 10% in 6 months. No issues at all getting my payout after a win.

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I have rewards scheduled such as athletic gear, new clothing, and an expensive bag because to me this is a difficult journey and I deserve to reward myself.

But hell yes I am very excited about breathing better, fitting in my smaller clothes, having great health markers, and being athletic at almost 50.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    edited February 2017
    My reward is one "fun" meal. I still track calories, but I can eat whatever I want for one meal. Last one was dinner at SteaknShake. Next one (10 pounds down from the last one) will be dinner at a local Irish pub. Next goal will (another 10 pounds) will be around a local summer festival with all sorts of nums. You get the idea.

I also have a list of clothes that I currently own, that I can fit back into at each weight. It's like getting new clothes but I already paid for them. Double reward!

EDIT: After reading through the thread, I guess I'm one of those food people.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,669 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I change the color of my band on my Apple Watch, its a tiny thing - like $10, but a good visual reminder to me. 5 more pounds and I get to go to yellow!

I do something similar, not so much as a reward, but a reminder. I have two bands for my RoadID. Normally, I wear the grey one, but when I'm actively training for something (race or challenge), I wear the green one. The goal is to almost always wear the green. :)

I do reward myself for goals met, usually fitness gear and clothes. I'm a total cheapskate, so I'd never give myself permission buy them otherwise. Most recently, I got a trainer for my bike.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,527 Member
    I celebrate by doing more ... participating in cycling events I haven't been able to do in a while, cycling up the local mountain, etc. etc.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Definitely set rewards for reaching my goals.
    First 10 pounds reward will be a new bathing suit and swim goggles.
    Next 10 pounds reward - to be determined!
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    My big hallmark-reward for going below 100 kg (~200 lbs) was a Scott Addict carbon road-race-bike.
    After this the last 40 lbs got lost in almost no time at all.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    My big hallmark-reward for going below 100 kg (~200 lbs) was a Scott Addict carbon road-race-bike.
    After this the last 40 lbs got lost in almost no time at all.

Okay, now that is the kind of reward I could get behind. I once considered rewarding my 100 lbs. lost mark with a power rack, bench, plates, bar, etc. Then I realized that I live in an apartment with floors that creaked under my 165 lbs. *kitten*. Putting a couple thousand pounds of gear on said floor is probably not a great idea.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Great job so far original poster! My rewards is going down a size and getting some new clothing. It feels good to feel good about yourself and it feels even better to look into a mirror and say Yes!
  • FitOneSoon
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    Great job so far original poster! My rewards is going down a size and getting some new clothing. It feels good to feel good about yourself and it feels even better to look into a mirror and say Yes!

New clothes will probably be my finally reward, since most of my clothes wont fit by then. lol
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    I change the color of my band on my Apple Watch, its a tiny thing - like $10, but a good visual reminder to me. 5 more pounds and I get to go to yellow!

I do something similar, not so much as a reward, but a reminder. I have two bands for my RoadID. Normally, I wear the grey one, but when I'm actively training for something (race or challenge), I wear the green one. The goal is to almost always wear the green. :)

I do reward myself for goals met, usually fitness gear and clothes. I'm a total cheapskate, so I'd never give myself permission buy them otherwise. Most recently, I got a trainer for my bike.

I wear a RoadID and I've just added the 13.1 badge to the band. I last ran a half-marathon in 2011 but due to injuries (and apathy if I'm honest) I fell out of love with running. In the last 18 months though I've rekindled the love and am aiming to run a half in November. The badge is to remind me of what I can do when I set my mind to something.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,669 Member
    edited February 2017
    TmacMMM wrote: »

I wear a RoadID and I've just added the 13.1 badge to the band. I last ran a half-marathon in 2011 but due to injuries (and apathy if I'm honest) I fell out of love with running. In the last 18 months though I've rekindled the love and am aiming to run a half in November. The badge is to remind me of what I can do when I set my mind to something.

Nice! I have one of those badges for each road race distance I've completed (5k, 10k, 13.1m, and a tri). If they had them for my current sport (indoor rowing), I'd still be collecting them. :)
  • Myki3012
    Myki3012 Posts: 152 Member
    Setting yourself a new goal.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    My reward for reaching an ideal weight for my body (I'll know when I get to it) and maintaining that for a good 2 years (yup, I'm in it for the long haul) is having eye surgery. I dream of a life without glasses, but it's already been proven for me that losing/gaining weight directly impacts my eyesight.

So, it's losing the weight, then waiting it out for 2 years before the doctor is willing to put me under the knife. I'll be needing the kind of surgery where they implant a lens directly into the eyes, too many things wrong for a simple laser surgery... which sucks considering the price tag. So, at the pace I'm going, I suspect another 3-4 years before I'm at that point. Plenty of time to save up for the cost. :smile: