Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• lisakrez
    lisakrez Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new, been here about a week...Have 100 to lose and could use some friends. I'm a mom who has literally let herself go over the past 20 years and would like to turn it around. Good Luck to everyone!
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 Oh Niki, I'm so happy for you! That is GREAT! I'm looking forward to being where you are now! Thanks for sharing, I know I will like the New Girl at the Gym piece, you always post such good stuff!
  • sand86802
    sand86802 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I havent tried one of those before so here goes:

Saturday Success: I went grocery shopping today and I wasnt even tempted by chips or cheese (okay I am always tempted by cheese- I am french after all- but I didnt go anywhere near it).

I left the store with only good things. I found myself craving salads lately so I went for that and other vegetables.

Also we had 10cm of snow here for the first time since december and I found it much easier to walk through it even if I only lost 17lbs so far.
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 great article! :)

@TheBrocheter Congrats, great job at the restaurant, and losing the weight.. Welcome to your new puppy who I am sure will be fun and give you a wonderful workout too!

@sand86802 kudos on the shopping and 17 lbs is great. Keep up the good work!
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have a question, I haven't seen anything posted about drinking water. Is it still as big a deal as it was 2 years ago and does anyone else have as much trouble getting it down as I do? I'm lucky if I drink 32oz of liquid daily, which I know just for health reasons alone, much less weight loss, is not enough. How much is anyone drinking? I'm trying to get to at least 64 oz. daily.
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,862 Member
    Options
    It is not important for it to be plain water. Foods with water in them are good (think fruit, soup, even coffee) Just make sure you are not eating when you are really just thirsty. Water has several health (and beauty) advantages and is by far the most affordable and beneficial "diet" food / miracle cure!
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,862 Member
    Options
    fyi, i struggle to drink much during too. I drink more when it is thru a large straw and I don't like my beverages too cold (hurts my teeth) or too hot (hate burning my tongue). It's a daily quest, like getting my steps. Sometimes I do better to pace myself thruout tge day like having a cup or two each hour on the hour.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    bapcarrier wrote: »
    I have a question, I haven't seen anything posted about drinking water. Is it still as big a deal as it was 2 years ago and does anyone else have as much trouble getting it down as I do? I'm lucky if I drink 32oz of liquid daily, which I know just for health reasons alone, much less weight loss, is not enough. How much is anyone drinking? I'm trying to get to at least 64 oz. daily.

I googled it and this is what I found ... So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly about 13 cups (3 liters) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is about 9 cups (2.2 liters) of total beverages a day. ...

You do need to be careful not to get too much ... anything over a gallon a day is too much. And if you have kidney issues, you probably would be told to limit your intake of fluids. Also, if you are sweating a lot, or trying to flush a sodium bomb, then more for those needs is a good thing.

I generally get in a minimum of 8 glasses of water a day, 2 of which make my morning coffee. When I have milk, tea, broth in my soup, then those are addiitonal fluids. I drink 16 ounces first thing in the morning and reach for another glass of water first instead of a snack during the day, plus I normally have water with my lunch and supper instead of wine, milk, tea, or coffee. Plus, a 16 oz tumbler next to my bed is a good thing because I wake up thirsty several times a night and it's nice to take a few sips without having to get up and go to the kitchen for some.

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I drink about 8-12 glasses of water a day. That is not counting the water in caffeinated or alcoholic beverages b/c I read somewhere that the dehydrating effect of caffeine and alcohol basically cancels out the benefit of the water in such drinks. I honestly don't remember where I read that, but it seems logical.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Water, for me second most important behind exercise to losing weight. If I don't drink enough I seem to hold water and never drop. I drink a lot 72 oz minimum counting coffee, I like coffee, black!

3:45 alarm rang. On my way to the hospital. See you on the other side.
  • sand86802
    sand86802 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    @pneschich Good luck with everything!

I try to drink around 2L of liquid a day, including coffee and tea. I drink like a camel though. I wont drink for hours on end and drink a whole bottle at once.

As for Monday check in, Im doing good, went under 300lbs his morning. I am not sure how I managed to loose over 2lbs this weekend though. I have to assume it might be water? I drank a lot of tea over the weekend so I am thinking mayve the diuretic effect might have done it? If so I probably shouldnt be surprised to gain some of it back at least momentarily.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you and praying for you and your care team today @pneschich. And I agree with you that drinking adequate water is one of the most important parts of my weight loss and it just makes me feel better. Easy, NO. I like coffee, tea and juices but if I drink much of them I don't want water at all unless it's hot and I'm really thirsty. I aim for at least six to 8 glasses of pure clean unadulterated water a day.
    I have a nasty bronchitis going on but I've been able the last three days to get all my steps in. Hopefully will be able to see the doctor today and get back to feeling better soon. I'm happy to report that the weight that I added in my two months of being displaced is coming off pretty nicely and it just feels good to be back in control of what goes into what I'm eating because I do my own food preparation. Everyone have a great day!
  • jenmek
    jenmek Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @bapcarrier - regarding your question about water. Water is important and it's important that it's real water. Black coffee counts, but coffee with cream and sugar doesn't. Water from fruit does NOT count. Plain iced tea counts, but tea with anything in it does not.

Water flushes your body of sodium, which is why it's important. Many of the food us dieters each can be grossly high in sodium (i.e. frozen "diet" food). The U.S. government states 2400mg a day but the American Heart Association (AHA) states 1500mg a day. Some frozen meals have half the AHAs target max in just one meal.

A target water goal should be HALF your body weight in ounces. Meaning, if you're 200 lbs, target 100 ounces. If you exercise a lot and produce a lot of sweat, you need more. That 100 ounces is your starting point.

For this 100 ounces, it must be pure water with no chemicals, creamers, additives that are manufactured. Water as pure as it can be. Add lemon, lime, mint, or even herbs. Last year, my herb garden was growing too much so I'd put rosemary in one water bottle and basil in another water bottle. The added taste made it feel different.

When you ask if it is as big a deal as it was 2 years ago. Drinking water is always a big deal, as our bodies haven't changed. The push to drinking it does as the topic may ebb and flow, but the importance of this has never changed.

Research this on your own. 1/2 your body weight in ounces. I follow that and I've lost 145lbs and I follow this rule of thumb.
  • jenmek
    jenmek Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Be careful to suggest or follow the advice of a certain # of cups per day. The 8 glasses of water / day is based on a certain body weight (~130 lbs). Everyone's requirements are different based on their own body. Eight 8oz glasses / day is not sufficient for someone who's overweight (or larger).
  • debbieinva
    debbieinva Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Debbie and I have a sugar addiction!!!

Monday Morning check in!! I cant believe I did not leave the house all weekend but stayed right on track with my calories!!! Got weighted yesterday and in 2 weeks lost 8 1/2 pounds!!!!! :o)
    I know that is just because I am just starting and have so much to lose.... It will slow down... but I am focused! and I love getting on my food diary and planning out the days meals knowing exactly what I am eating that day!!
    I have A-Fib so I need to be very careful with my water intake also salt and potassium, so I really like to see what my numbers are for the day...

I have not started any exercise yet not even walking.... something going on with the top of my foot making it hard to walk and now messing up my knee,,,, dang if I don't get some of this weight off I won't make it to 67!! lol

Love reading all your posts, accomplishments and struggles, there really are people out there that have as much to lose and feel just like me.....

I'm feeling really good about this journey!!!!! It's all about the focus!!!!
  • TheBrocheter
    TheBrocheter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @debbieinva That's awesome! Did you try some exercise you can do sitting down? When I had my surgery I couldn't stand or walk for three weeks so small weights became my best friends.
  • Dalceridae
    Dalceridae Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @pneschich Best of luck today! You have gone through so much on this journey so far, and I wish you a safe and speedy recovery on this new part of the journey.

@debbieinva That's a great accomplishment!

As far as water, I have pushed myself to make adequate water every day a priority, and I have seen and felt the benefits of it. It makes me feel better and helps keep me from wanting to snack, and I have discovered that I suffer far less cravings and hunger when I am well-hydrated. It's also made a HUGE difference in my skin. I can't believe how much healthier and younger my skin looks now and without having to mess around with all kinds of products.

Funnily enough, people noticed the change in my skin before they noticed the change in my weight. Several of my coworkers started commenting that I had great colour, and even the CEO one day asked if I had gone anywhere during the Christmas break as I was looking so rejuvenated. That was a couple of weeks before people started noticing the weight loss.

I have also read that for people concerned about excess skin from losing lots of weight, staying well hydrated throughout the process is critical. Well-hydrated skin is more elastic and healthy and better able to repair itself and "bounce back". I want to keep my skin as healthy as possible to help minimise issues caused by losing weight. That is a big motivation to me.

It was hard at first to get myself to drink regularly, but now it is becoming habit. It's sort of like dealing with any other uncomfortable part of becoming healthy - at first it's a huge struggle, but persevere and it starts becoming habit :smile:
  • Damensha
    Damensha Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    LOL! I Love that y'all like my idea of having Tall Days! It's something that I've been saying since I was a kid!

@pneschich I hope your surgery went as planned! My thoughts are with you!

Newbies- WELCOME! You've found one of the BEST group of folks on Myfitnesspal as far as I'm concerned! Settle in and start chatting! We're all on this journey together and we can do it with a little help from our friends!

Monday Check In - Well, it's generally been a Great weekend! DH and I have made it through our first week and are still hanging in and hanging on. We spent a lot of time with friends this weekend and ate out A Lot, but I only went over badly on Saturday. Sleep has been much better as time goes by thank goodness! I'm feeling so much better with the weight I've lost so far, so I think this is the week to start back with my walking.

Here's hoping everyone has Lots of Tall Days this week!
    Chins up!

JennV
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!!! Where did the weekend go? Saturday was just cleaning and laundry. Yuck! Sunday was 5 hours in the office. Yuck again. Needless to say, nothing fun this past weekend. Eating was fine. I didn’t really exercise since I cleaned house and needed a recovery day from my weekly workouts. Scale is super slow right now, but I’m feeling really good and have a lot more energy. I’m toning and going down in sizes so that’s my indicator I’m heading in the right direction.

@Damensha – I really was happy to read your update about you and DH. Coming from someone who was divorced 13 years ago and single the past 12 years - stay married!!! Dating at this age is NOT easy. Over the past 12 years, I chose to stay single to focus on my son and career. Plus, I didn’t want to introduce just anyone to my son and I still haven’t. My son is about to turn 15 soon and decided it’s time to start getting my feet wet. I’m ready to keep them dry again. Stay married!!! LOL!!!

@debbeinva, @lisakrez – Welcome to the thread! It’s a very supportive group. Not judgmental and will encourage when you need it.

@gullagr – Great post last Friday! Good for you. It’s so important to praise ourselves along the way. Keep doing what you’re doing!!

@Nikion – Congrats hitting under 240!! I’m getting there too and cannot wait. It’s been a LONG time like 30 years maybe for me as well. I’m a few pounds away from being under 250, which is a big goal for me. We’ve got this!

@sand86802 – Congrats on making GREAT choices at the grocery store! I know we can all relate and we’ve been there. Nice job!!

@pneischich – Be prepared for a different take on water after surgery. It was a huge change for me. I was drinking close to 100-150 oz per day and now can barely drink 64 oz. Since we’re not supposed to drink 30 minutes before eating, not during our meal and 30 minutes after it limits a lot of time. Plus, I can’t just gulp water like I use too or get serious chest pains. I’m still sipping even 3 ½ months post op. They say it gets better, but not yet. I still try to get in as much as I can. This is about to happen for you and I’m so excited!

@jenmek – Everything you wrote is exactly how I’ve always learned about water too. Also, someone told me try to remember “clear in, clear out”. Keeping an eye on your urine is a key sign if you’re getting enough water, dehydrated, etc. . . Due to my surgery, I can’t drink as much water as I use too, but I still aim for as much as possible each day. I know my skin is much better for it too.