What has your diet taught you about yourself?

Options

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    glennagael wrote: »
    This is my third week officially logging and dieting; I've spent the past several months adjusting my diet to include more whole and home cooked things, trying to cut out or cut back on various things.

I've found out that I don't really need meat. I never set out to be a vegetarian (wouldn't call myself one now) but I rarely cook with meat. Now if I do eat out the meatless options seem so much more appetizing...

I do, however, live for cheese, which is a real shame because I've noticed a trend of dairy making me feel ill. Haven't seen a doctor yet, but I don't eat an abundance of dairy any more (cut cream out of my coffee, cut out my 2 weekly pints of Halo Top, stopped eating yogurt for breakfast in favor of smoothies or savory dishes, have stayed away from pizza, cheese fries, etc. for obvious reasons...) and the past two times I've consumed something milk based my stomach turned in on itself within 20 minutes. Conferred with my lactose intolerant friend and she very sadly recommended I get confirmation, but it sounds like lactose isn't my friend, either.

Besides teaching me things about my digestive system, I've learned by cooking and trying new recipes that I like things to be colorful, small-portioned, varied, and potent. I also start with a vision in mind of how I want something to be, do a bit of research, but rely mostly on my own problem solving skills to bring it to fruition. I like goals that require a high number of small steps, rather than things that require long-haul single-mindedness. Now I'm thinking of ways to apply this to career, productivity, and organization! Even a simple as my wardrobe... I always seem to purchase tailored, single-color pieces, trying to opt for flattering, timeless, classic, or elegant, when I really love bright, bold colors, different prints, versatile pieces, layers, and textures. That's what makes me happy, but my wardrobe is full of black dresses!

I think it's interesting when you try to take control of one part of your life (like health) you realize how you've been self-defeating in other areas, too. Has your diet taught you anything about yourself?

Unless I'm misreading, the only time you directly connected dairy with issues is milk. I had a similar issue, didn't happen with cheese or ice cream. What helped me is switching to organic milk and I've seen this has helped other people.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I've learned through diet and running how to finally fuel my body for performance rather than shoveling as much food in as possible to muffle all my feelings. I've learned Oreos are the devil's cookie (damn you delicious SOBs). The control and discipline I've gleaned from this journey have helped me to stop a 25 year old habit and I finally can say I don't bite my nails anymore!

Lots of win on the street down to fitness town ;)
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Serenityfrye if sugar and starch have that strong an effect you may want to check out hypoglycemia. I've found sugar is not my friend, too much makes me sluggish and depressed
  • glennagael
    glennagael Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm misreading, the only time you directly connected dairy with issues is milk. I had a similar issue, didn't happen with cheese or ice cream. What helped me is switching to organic milk and I've seen this has helped other people.

Huh, thanks for the consideration! Milk, yes, ice cream, yes, cheese, no. For yogurt and sour cream I already use Green Valley Organics lactose free, and those pose no threats. By organic milk do you mean raw milk or pasteurized organic milk at the grocery store? Thanks again!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    glennagael wrote: »

Huh, thanks for the consideration! Milk, yes, ice cream, yes, cheese, no. For yogurt and sour cream I already use Green Valley Organics lactose free, and those pose no threats. By organic milk do you mean raw milk or pasteurized organic milk at the grocery store? Thanks again!

My daughter is lactose intolerant and she can't handle dairy milk at all, regardless of what kind, can tolerate ice cream with an enzyme pill and has no problem with cheese in moderation. She uses almond milk now and that's working well for her :)
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    IIRC, the process of aging hard cheeses eliminates the lactose. It's the food for the bacteria.

I've learned that my key to success is to self-identify as an athletic person. My athletic goals lead to adherence to my eating plan, which leads to weight loss. It's not that I didnt have motivation or willpower. I just didn't have a compelling reason.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I just have to eat the Red Baron frozen pizza.
    Also, I learned that I like sweet potatoes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Not much really. I already knew I like to eat and drink too much. ;)

In the few weeks that I was weighing and logging food it was fairly surprising to see how much I overestimated pasta servings. Especially with spaghetti!

Edited to change under to over - I was eating less than I thought.
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    - that I won't die if I've gone to bed a little hungry
    - I like planning and prepping meals
    - That this is my lifestyle and I'll have it forever
    - Eating right doesn't give me heartburn
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    That I can eat whatever I want to eat and maintain my weight if I pay attention to how many calories I consume. It's been that way for decades for me now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Nothing new, that's for sure. I enjoy food too much. I know I'm an outlier - on the low end of the calories scale, so that just makes it much harder. I'll always have to journal. When I stop, I lose track and gain.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    That I am a creative cook.
    That even though I talk tough, in reality I am a pansy *kitten* weakling!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    That this was fairly easy and I should have done it long ago.
  • UltimateTrashBae
    UltimateTrashBae Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    That I'm still a picky toddler, trapped in a 30 year old's body.

This. Me. I've got the same exact palate as my 3-yo and I think I'll have that palate until I die. The old-folks home is gonna love me.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    That I'm still a picky toddler, trapped in a 30 year old's body.

This. Me. I've got the same exact palate as my 3-yo and I think I'll have that palate until I die. The old-folks home is gonna love me.

My 3 year old and I drive my husband crazy because he's a health nut and we happily eat boxed mac n cheese, frozen pizza, and chicken nuggets instead of the "healthy" stuff he tries to get us to consume instead. I've just accepted that I shall always be that kid that survived off Happy Meals because I refused to eat veggies, lol.

(Always a good idea to be the favorite at the old folks home. Great strategic planning for the future confirmed B) )
  • grammageegee
    grammageegee Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I do like to exercise. I do like shopping when I actually have a choice and not have to settle for what fits. I have learned to make my goals in 10 pound increments and it's actually not that hard to lose 10 pounds, just give it time! I guess what I have really learned is patience.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    -I eat more when bored.
    -I will NOT wither and die if I don't eat that cupcake RIGHT NOW! LoL
    -I can indeed say no and moderate my intake, and feel good about it.
    -I was more self conscious about my appearance than I was willing to acknowledge.
    _I'm a damn good cook.
    -Food prep doesn't take long, unless I need a convenient excuse for pizza.
    -I actually save money by eating healthier.
    -I love exercise. Yes, I tie the two together, hand in hand, diet and exercise.

Lastly, but only because I saved the best for last - my wife has given me more "Come Hither" looks since I hit my goal 3 months ago than the last 10 years combined. The "diet" is so worth it. rowr lol.