Staying away from fast food

Options
How does everyone stay away from fast food? Need some advice

Replies

• laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just mentally tell myself that losing weight, feeling better and noticing a difference in me overall is better than any food tastes .... :)
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't really stay away--sometimes it's just a convenience thing with the kids, or on car trips. I just get a small portion of nuggets and fries, or a grilled chicken sandwich, or a bean burrito if it's Taco Bell, or even a sausage/egg Mcmuffin with hash browns or a few fries. Sometimes I'll get a grilled chicken salad and just go easy on toppings and dressing. It's mostly the sodium that makes me gain some water weight, but I can usually stick to my calories.

I sometimes split a larger order of nuggets or fries with my husband or kids--this also helps with keeping quantity down. And drive-thrus are nice so you don't go back to order more!

ETA: if it's purely a convenience thing, sandwich shops like Subway or Jimmy John's can be lower cal and relatively healthy. I usually get a turkey sandwich loaded up with vegetables.

In any case, most of these places have their full menu listed in MFP--you can plan ahead before you go!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have Taco Bell a couple of times a month. I just fit it in my calorie goal.

If you find that eating fast food is causing you to miss your goals, figure out why you're picking it. If it's because you love the taste of certain items, figure out a way to make them fit into your goals (which may mean eating smaller portions or eating them less often). If it's a convenience thing, figure out how to plan your life so you don't need to do it as often.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It doesn't fill me up so that helps me avoid it. If I eat a quarter pounder with cheese and fries, I've used up a huge portion of my daily calories. From past experience, I'll be hungry an hour later and not have many calories to work with. So for me, it's just not worth it. I pre-log whenever I think about it and quickly change my mind.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I just don't go to fast food restaurants. They've never offered to bring the fast food to me so it's worked pretty well for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    laureneh01 wrote: »

Once a week.

I make room for it in my goals. Because it's not total elimination, I look forward to it. BUT, over time it makes me really picky. Most fast food isn't worth the calories. It's a good practice for me to figure out what's what before I get to goal.

What @andrea4736 said, pre-logging is so helpful. I'll do sandwich, but fries are rare for me.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if I really want it, then I try to plan it in my schedule - I take the longer way home from work to avoid the main drag that has all those restaurants (the other way takes me right by grocery store)
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I ate fast food regularly while losing weight, just making sure it fit in my calories...there are many fast food items that I greatly enjoy. Now, I allow for it once a week and cycle through my favorite spots. This week, it'll be Cookout...last week it was Taco Bell.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid it. I eat there at least once a week (I try to only stick to one visit but it doesn't always happen). But I have changed what I order. Smaller sandwiches, no fries.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Have food pre-prepared so that stopping for fast food is more effort/time consuming than whatever you made. (basically what @CafeRacer808 said)
  • matt2673
    matt2673 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    laureneh01 wrote: »

Not all fast food is garbage. The key is making good choices and this is where MyFitnessPal can help. What I do is plan ahead and look up the nutrition on MFP first so that when I walk into the joint, I've got my game plan. I went to a Chipolte for lunch and before even ordering, I looked up a few things. I ended up making a good choice: a barbacoa burrito bowl. One of the nice things about Chipolte and Qdoba is that they prepare your food while you stand in line. I told them one small scoop of brown rice and one small scoop of corn to keep the empty carbs down. In the end it makes for a delicious and mostly nutritious meal.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't have an issue because I'm just too frugal/cheap. Those fast food meals add up fast. I avoid Starbucks too - $5 and change for a drink?! No thanks. My bank account thanks me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Is it coming after you? :s No? Cook your own food. Google recipes if can't cook. It's not that difficult.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I ate fast food regularly while losing weight, just making sure it fit in my calories...there are many fast food items that I greatly enjoy.
    ^^ This.

Fast food isn't a big deal, just make sure you account for it in your daily calorie budget. And, as always, moderation. One of the major things I've learned through this journey is that you can eat pretty much anything you want. You just can't do it all the time. I eat fast food several times per month and have done so all along.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on what you consider fast food. You can get some pretty decent healthy non-calorie busting foods at some fast food joints. I tend to not demonize my food and eat anywhere I want that fits my goals.