Obese --> Triathlete -->Appalachian Trail

Options
13»

Replies

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I just read your story on page 2...so great! We often cross the PCT on our hikes and it goes through our mind...could we do it? Are we too old? We also cross or join up with the wonderland trail (around Mt. Rainier)...maybe someday!
    You're never too old! I met quite a few people in their 70s and 80s out there. Lots of recent retirees, too.

You're adorable! Thanks for sharing your story and spreading some much needed inspiration! <3 it!
    Aw, thanks for reading! I'm glad my story had a positive effect!
    I loved everything about this post and your story <3 Could I follow you on Instagram?? Would love to see more hiking pictures!
    Sure! I'll message you my insta name. It's a public account.
    If anyone else wants to see my Instagram with my trail pics, just message me!
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love this post so much! I have wanted to do a sprint tri for a long time, and I can barely swim and am a slow runner. I have also wanted to through-hike the AT for many years. We're about the same size, too. And yes, I was always picked next to last in gym class. Definitely not an athlete, but I won't give up. Super inspiring! Thanks so much for sharing your amazing story! Love it!
  • geochick725
    geochick725 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Woman! You look amazing! Please don't refer to stupid BMI and only attach yourself to that number! You've had so many adventures and have so many more to come! You're totally inspiring - I really love your post.

You rock and keep it up!!
  • EmilyNan
    EmilyNan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! I live in Harpers Ferry... so beautiful! What an amazing story you have. All the best!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration to me! Thank you for this post!
  • kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This is amazing! I love your journal post from Vermont, my homeland!! I have been thinking about hiking the Long Trail, so that's about where I'd start :) I'm currently reading A Walk in the Woods so it was cool to recognize the place names you mentioned in your original post.

btw I second @geochick725 in that you should not talk down about yourself or your weight or think you don't deserve to post on here. That's the furthest thing from the truth!

I will definitely message you for your instagram account :) You really are a great writer and an inspiration!!! Way to go.
  • potatowhoruns
    potatowhoruns Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    @dana___e - why don't you sign up for a sprint tri - or start training towards one? My first is in September and I have only just got a bike...
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    Dana_E wrote: »
    I love this post so much! I have wanted to do a sprint tri for a long time, and I can barely swim and am a slow runner. I have also wanted to through-hike the AT for many years. We're about the same size, too. And yes, I was always picked next to last in gym class. Definitely not an athlete, but I won't give up. Super inspiring! Thanks so much for sharing your amazing story! Love it!

Neither of those things should stop you from trying a sprint! We even have beginner tris in my area that keep you close to shore and allow you to stand up and walk through the water if you need to. There's plenty of people doggy paddling and breast stroking out there. You don't have to be competitive right out the gate. I certainly wasn't!

As for the AT, get out there! Even if you can only go for a weekend at a time. It's a truly amazing experience filled with amazing people.
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    Woman! You look amazing! Please don't refer to stupid BMI and only attach yourself to that number! You've had so many adventures and have so many more to come! You're totally inspiring - I really love your post.

You rock and keep it up!!

Ha! Thank you!
    My new boss at work recently started dieting and complaining about her weight. I know not to compare yourself to others, but we're the exact same weight, height, and body type. It's a little disconcerting.
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    EmilyNan wrote: »
    You are amazing! I live in Harpers Ferry... so beautiful! What an amazing story you have. All the best!

Harper's Ferry is such a wonderful place! I stayed a night at the Jackson Rose Inn before starting and loved it there.
    You are an inspiration to me! Thank you for this post!

Thank you! In fact, my sincerest thanks to all of you. The response to this post has been so uplifting. I really appreciate you all!
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    This is amazing! I love your journal post from Vermont, my homeland!! I have been thinking about hiking the Long Trail, so that's about where I'd start :) I'm currently reading A Walk in the Woods so it was cool to recognize the place names you mentioned in your original post.

Ah, the Long Trail is great. I got lucky- the legendary Vermont mud took this season off and we missed the black flies. I spent one of my favorite nights on the trail sleeping under the stars on the ski lift on Bromley Mountain. Make it a point to camp there. Great sunrises and sunsets and the warming hut is open to hikers in the summer.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Aww youth and what freaking fun- so glad you are living life and not watching it go by!
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Superb achievements! !!! You must be so proud!!!
  • SarahAnaruk
    SarahAnaruk Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Your story is very inspiring!! Proof that you can do whatever you put your mind to!!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Heck if this isn't a success story. A lot of people couldn't do what you did. To give up your job, your apartment, your possessions, I can't even. You have had an amazing journey so far, and I hope that you continue to have more adventures! (maybe less hornets and cliff face falling)
  • baylie1114
    baylie1114 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Girl. Write a book. Heck, I'd offer to write it for you, but you certainly don't need me! WRITE. A. BOOK.
  • secondlane
    secondlane Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow! I guess the lesson is to never give up on yourself and to keep looking for the thing or things that drive your passion. I wish I could say more but your story has left me speechless. I don't know you yet I'm sooo proud of you!
  • HeatherLeAnn622
    HeatherLeAnn622 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So incredible! Thank you for sharing, and yes, think about writing a book. I'd buy it :smile:
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    secondlane wrote: »
    Wow! I guess the lesson is to never give up on yourself and to keep looking for the thing or things that drive your passion. I wish I could say more but your story has left me speechless. I don't know you yet I'm sooo proud of you!

Thank you! Yes, I think the lesson I learned was that fear is not a good reason to NOT do something. Continuously challenging myself to do things I was scared to opened up a whole new world of possibilities.
    So incredible! Thank you for sharing, and yes, think about writing a book. I'd buy it :smile:

Ahaha, I get that from my mother a lot ;)
    I would eventually like to try writing something, but what I really want to write about and think needs to be written are aspects of my life that I still struggle to be honest with myself about. I'll get there, I hope
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!