Shorties like me under 5'5 positive vibes only!

Options

Replies

• jroth261
    jroth261 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bossymom15 wrote: »
    Very quiet on this board. Everyone still on track? I'm fighting a cold so really having to push myself to keep getting steps in and not resort to comfort food. It's Valentines Day....anyone have big plans?

I'm still around :) . Seems some bugs are goin around with MFPers. Why not treat yourself to something like a pedicure or short massage once you're feeling better? Will give you something to look forward to.

Had my Vday "no cal worries dinner" Sat. Was a reward for over 30 days of staying on track. It was AH-mah-zing!

Also started C25K. Today finished Wk 2 Day 1. Never did a 5K, but I like that the increasing intervals give me structure to see where I'm headed and little achievements to focus on. Want to strength train too, but trying to ease into a more balanced life slowly. As I have small wins I start to feel more confident taking on more.
  • jroth261
    Options
    I spent the last 4 days overindulging in homemade cookies and cocktails. Gained 4 lbs. Figured I would beat myself up for a day and then figure out how I am going to take off the 4 lbs.

Sorry you're having a hiccup. Do you know what set you off? For me it's especially easy to go off track when I'm not paying attention to my triggers, or "chose", maybe I should say, not to pay attention. I'm no stranger to denial. Focus on what you can definitely do in the short term to get back on track and fill in the rest as you go.
  • enuf2
    enuf2 Posts: 272 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'3, 48 and weigh 208 lbs. (ugh). I am wondering what your settings/calories goals are set at. I know everyone is different, but I'm curious about what works for you. Also, if you have a fitbit, do you eat back your exercise calories? I play around with my settings way to often. I know that I need to stick with a good number and see what happens.
    I am set at lightly active, with 1lb/week loss= 1600 cal. I do have a fitbit and my avg calorie burn over the last 28 days is 2593.
  • bossymom15
    bossymom15 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Jroth261

I have done the C25K a couple of times. Its cold here in the winter, hard to run, so I have to start over every spring. I didn't start running until I was 49 and did my first 5K before I hit 50. Now I enjoy running....most of the time.

enuf200

I try NOT to eat ALL of my exercise calories back. But I admit part of my motivation to exercise is to eat SOME of them back. :) I find I don't lose if I eat them all back.
  • dlites46
    dlites46 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Im 4'11" and a bit older. And a bit slower moving. It seems like i get to a certain point in weight loss and then i just stop for sone reason, plus it seems to go alot slower the older you get. Any tips from anyone wiuld be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to add me. Im really trying hard to stay focused this time and seeing this through
  • FitOneSoon
    FitOneSoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    5'3" 40lbs to lose, and battling a 12y old baby gut. :(

FR are welcome! :)
  • jroth261
    Options
    jroth261 wrote: »
    What set it off... a couple of malibu and pineapple cocktails and baking chocolate chip cookies. ;) I had planned to have a cocktail and it just went down hill from there. There really is no excuse. I overindulged.

Yeah, that does sound like a dangerous combo! Happens to the best of us B) Why I rarely bake at home! Crossing my fingers for you for the rest of the week!
  • jroth261
    Options
    bossymom15 wrote: »
    Jroth261

I have done the C25K a couple of times. Its cold here in the winter, hard to run, so I have to start over every spring. I didn't start running until I was 49 and did my first 5K before I hit 50. Now I enjoy running....most of the time.

I'm in PA, and winter is actually my fav time to go out! Once I'm moving the air feels good. Just hate it when the trails ice up, but luckily this winter hardly any snow buildup. I've finished C25K once several yrs ago - barely. I'd like to finish C25K first and then work on my pace. There's a fun local Halloween race I wana do, and that should give me a comfortable enough time frame to prepare and not finish at the end of the pack. Maybe I'll end up deciding to do one before then. It's inspiring to know non-runner MFPers like you made it happen! There's another guy on here I know that lost like 2 ppl in weight in his middle aged yrs and now he's training for a marathon.
  • jroth261
    edited February 2017
    Options
    enuf200 wrote: »
    I'm 5'3, 48 and weigh 208 lbs. (ugh). I am wondering what your settings/calories goals are set at. I know everyone is different, but I'm curious about what works for you. Also, if you have a fitbit, do you eat back your exercise calories? I play around with my settings way to often. I know that I need to stick with a good number and see what happens.
    I am set at lightly active, with 1lb/week loss= 1600 cal. I do have a fitbit and my avg calorie burn over the last 28 days is 2593.

I had a fast loss the first few wks I started cal counting, and since for the past couple wks I've kind of stalled. I wasn't sure if maybe the amount I was eating (1450) was insufficient for days I was more active and my body was starting to rebel. So, I've recently started to make a baseline cal goal of 1350 based on my TDEE recommendation for a sedentary day and then if I'm active at my one job (I clean) or workout, I add the estimated cals to my daily goal as added exercise. However, I still eat slightly less than the MFP cal burned estimates just in case. If I don't feel slightly hungry at the end of the night, I feel like I've not had a sufficient deficit.

Can't speak on the Fitbit, but I just got a Garmin Vivosmart HR + fitness band several days ago and I think it underestimates overall cal burn. I'll use the estimates for individual workouts, but as far as cals burned during general movement, it seems inaccurate. So if I know I'm doing a decent amount of pacing around etc at my one job (sales associate), then I simply increase my daily goal to 1500 based on my TDEE for lightly active rather than add the cals back in formally as exercise.

So no idea yet if this is the way to go for me, but time will tell if I break my plateau.

Not sure what you used to estimate your cal goal, but this is the TDEE calculator I'm using if it helps:
    https://mytdee.com/
  • whiskeyyfitness
    whiskeyyfitness Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and I too still struggle at times. I'm hoping to lose 50 pounds as well but I'm starting with 30 pounds first. My problem is I have an on going injury since 2009. So losing weight for me is somewhat difficult. But not impossible! Like you said baby steps.
    One thing I keep reading throughout MFP is first learn to eat what's right for you, make healthy changes and choices. If you can do that, you'll see your weight drop. Incorporate it with some light exercise then increase your intensity as you go. But first healthy choices and changes have to come. And stick to your calorie intake. Try not to exceed it.
    I'm always posting motivational quotes on my feed too cause I too am looking for motivation. But I hope to one day be someone's FITSPIRATION.
    Hope you have a great hump day
  • whiskeyyfitness
    whiskeyyfitness Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I had a fast loss the first few wks I started cal counting, and since for the past couple wks I've kind of stalled. I wasn't sure if maybe the amount I was eating (1450) was insufficient for days I was more active and my body was starting to rebel. So, I've recently started to make a baseline cal goal of 1350 based on my TDEE recommendation for a sedentary day and then if I'm active at my one job (I clean) or workout, I add the estimated cals to my daily goal as added exercise. However, I still eat slightly less than the MFP cal burned estimates just in case. If I don't feel slightly hungry at the end of the night, I feel like I've not had a sufficient deficit.

Can't speak on the Fitbit, but I just got a Garmin Vivosmart HR + fitness band several days ago and I think it underestimates overall cal burn. I'll use the estimates for individual workouts, but as far as cals burned during general movement, it seems inaccurate. So if I know I'm doing a decent amount of pacing around etc at my one job (sales associate), then I simply increase my daily goal to 1500 based on my TDEE for lightly active rather than add the cals back in formally as exercise.

So no idea yet if this is the way to go for me, but time will tell if I break my plateau.

Not sure what you used to estimate your cal goal, but this is the TDEE calculator I'm using if it helps:
    https://mytdee.com/

I too just bought the vivofit watch and I know what you mean about the cals burned and steps taken. But what I've noticed about the watch is when walking if it's not counting it will catch up to the number of steps taking. Like it stalls. Idk if that's what you mean but for me it seems pretty accurate.
  • jroth261
    Options
    I too just bought the vivofit watch and I know what you mean about the cals burned and steps taken. But what I've noticed about the watch is when walking if it's not counting it will catch up to the number of steps taking. Like it stalls. Idk if that's what you mean but for me it seems pretty accurate.

I have noticed that with steps sometimes with my Vivosmart. It seems to happen when I'm indoors. However, I did at least 5 flights of stairs at the beginning of today and it never seemed to register it. I'm like, WTF?! Several hrs later I did the 5 flights again (same stairs) and it did register that.
  • jroth261
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and I too still struggle at times. I'm hoping to lose 50 pounds as well but I'm starting with 30 pounds first. My problem is I have an on going injury since 2009. So losing weight for me is somewhat difficult. But not impossible! Like you said baby steps.
    One thing I keep reading throughout MFP is first learn to eat what's right for you, make healthy changes and choices. If you can do that, you'll see your weight drop. Incorporate it with some light exercise then increase your intensity as you go. But first healthy choices and changes have to come. And stick to your calorie intake. Try not to exceed it.
    I'm always posting motivational quotes on my feed too cause I too am looking for motivation. But I hope to one day be someone's FITSPIRATION.
    Hope you have a great hump day

It's surprising the effects little changes can have! For better and worse! I remember several yrs ago wondering why I was gaining weight. Well, one of the changes in my diet was drinking coffee. And what did I put in it? What my bf at the time put in his: sugared up flavored creamer! Stuff like that def adds up! Consequently, that was one of the few changes I made at that time besides watching cals, and it paid off. Most people can't be perfect, so you're so right...you have to learn what's right for you and in doing that it's important to be honest about what in your diet you adamantly won't change to achieve your goal and what is on the table for negotiation. There are some "healthy" foods/recipes I've tried (kale smoothies are NOT yummy!) and I put the kabash on those. Oh well, back to the drawing board! One of my fav sayings is "Strive for progress, not perfection."
  • Determined_Cupcake
    Options
    I'm 5'1 & 1/2 (yes it matters) I still have 45 to lose- I have learned I will always have to exercise to keep from gaining weight- I don't burn very much when I don't exercise :( but that's life anytime I've stopped running I've gained weight quickly- so I completely feel you- feel free to add me!
  • enuf2
    enuf2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I do truly feel I am doing things right. I am eating so much healthier, I exercise daily - but I'm not overdoing it as I have in the past, and I am logging and weighing my food, good or bad. I have gained in the last two weeks, but I feel good about what I am doing, so not giving up. Yay me! LOL! I will go with the calories based on the TDEE calculator mentioned @jroth261 and see what happens for the next month.

I am also doing c25k - just finished week 4. The roads are icy around here, so I've been mostly doing it on the treadmill. I don't enjoy the treadmill, so hoping the weather starts co-operating with me and my journey here! LOL! Not happy with Mother Nature right now. I used to run all the time, so I'm happy to be back at it.
  • molly3210
    molly3210 Posts: 804 Member
    Options

I've decided not to log my calories burned or eat them back. Then there is more of a deficit...I think this change is why I'm finally seeing results! For years I would eat back anything I burned... And I'm sure those 'burned' numbers went always accurate in my case. Anyway I just keep notes on exercise.
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    5' 2"; 42 - weigh 148 and looking to lose 25lb or so. I had a fitbit forever it it provided motivation - however I had to replace it three times and kept forgetting to put it back on after a shower - recently got a garmin - I think vivosmart? Has a HR monitor anyways. I got it for Christmas and started wearing it immediately - but didn't really have a plan of attack in mind. I started really paying attention at the beginning of February - tracking foods again and making sure having a calorie deficit is my goal at the end of the day. I've ramped up the activity level - making sure I get 10,000 steps in a day if not more, adding in squats, body weight exercises or kettle bells throughout the day on my breaks and lunch. Started c25k this past week. I've done it before but usually lose interest after the third or fourth week. I live in the icy, snowy, cold north so getting outside or to the local indoor track usually makes or breaks my streak.

Feel free to add me - I can use the motivation and comeraderie. You can find me on garmin connect too - george
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I have noticed that with steps sometimes with my Vivosmart. It seems to happen when I'm indoors. However, I did at least 5 flights of stairs at the beginning of today and it never seemed to register it. I'm like, WTF?! Several hrs later I did the 5 flights again (same stairs) and it did register that.

I have the opposite problem - my garmin seems to record non existent floors - I've searched the forums for an answer to the glitch but can't seem to find an answer. Right now it shows I have seven. I have one flight of stairs I climb in a day - and I've only climbed it once......
  • jroth261
    Options
    I am also doing c25k - just finished week 4. The roads are icy around here, so I've been mostly doing it on the treadmill. I don't enjoy the treadmill, so hoping the weather starts co-operating with me and my journey here! LOL! Not happy with Mother Nature right now. I used to run all the time, so I'm happy to be back at it.

First time I did c25K was all treadmill, but no longer have one :'( . Maybe next yr I'll splurge. I love being able to listen to music jogging indoors, but don't feel safe putting on headphones on the trail. Good thing about the latter though is I have to keep pace myself.
  • jroth261
    Options
    curiousgp wrote: »
    5' 2"; 42 - weigh 148 and looking to lose 25lb or so. I had a fitbit forever it it provided motivation - however I had to replace it three times and kept forgetting to put it back on after a shower - recently got a garmin - I think vivosmart? Has a HR monitor anyways. I got it for Christmas and started wearing it immediately - but didn't really have a plan of attack in mind. I started really paying attention at the beginning of February - tracking foods again and making sure having a calorie deficit is my goal at the end of the day. I've ramped up the activity level - making sure I get 10,000 steps in a day if not more, adding in squats, body weight exercises or kettle bells throughout the day on my breaks and lunch. Started c25k this past week. I've done it before but usually lose interest after the third or fourth week. I live in the icy, snowy, cold north so getting outside or to the local indoor track usually makes or breaks my streak.

Feel free to add me - I can use the motivation and comeraderie. You can find me on garmin connect too - george

I've been forgetting to put in on post shower lately too - doh! It's waterproof, but I figure it's a good time to give my skin a break.

Squats, body weight exercises, kettles balls are awesome additions! They're all prob ideal for spiking your metabolism. Squats are one of the strength training exercises I kinda despise, but I read it's those and others that focus on multiple muscles groups at one time that are the best at stimulating muscle growth. And you get a better "after"burn throughout the day from exercises like that than cardio, so I wouldn't feel too bad making that your focus rather than the jogging if you can't manage both!