Cyclist??

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yessir..

Road, looking for new wheels soon. Any recs? stayin alloy.

I've had a good experience with ORR cycling - but then I ride 650cc and they are one of the few companies that make race wheels for those
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Yessir..

Road, looking for new wheels soon. Any recs? stayin alloy.

Bang for the buck, I'd look at FLOs.

If your pockets are deep enough, any of the high end brands are going to make a good wheel.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Sedu1906 wrote: »

Was this your first century ride?

No ... it was my 99th century ride, and 174th ride of 100 miles or more. In other words, I've done 99 rides of 100 miles plus 75 rides which have been longer than 100 miles. :)

I'm an active long distance cyclist (centuries, double centuries, audax/randonneuring events, 24-hour TTs, etc.) and have been riding long distances since 1994.

That's more than impressive!

Thanks. :)

I've tried many types of cycling, but long distance is the one I feel most comfortable with. :)

On Saturday, I cycled my 100th century. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Machka9/view/hint-of-hadspen-hike-160-km-bicycle-ride-913161

Well, actually, my 175th ride of 100 miles or more, but my 100th ride of the 100 mile distance. A century of centuries. :grin:

Wow. Just wow.

Thanks. :)

I have been at it a while now, but kind of got out of practice between about 2012 and 2014 ... and gained some weight. In 2015, I lost the weight and in 2016, I got back into the long distance cycling again. Feels good!

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I mainly MTB but ride pavement a bit especially if the trails are muddy.
  • flbicycletech
    flbicycletech Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Living here in Colorado, LOTS OF MTB but some Road
  • Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have come to loathe riding in the winter. My bike has been rollers since December.
  • OlySteve68
    OlySteve68 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I ride but I'm also a fair-weather rider. I just can't get the motivation to ride in the winter Pacific Northwest weather.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Not a cyclist but I love to ride bikes, at high speeds, preferably in races....
  • teicu1
    teicu1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Former roadie. Between 1-2 dozen years and a few dozen pounds ago, I regularly did half-century, metric century and century rides. Then--aging, surgeries, blah,blah... Last year my total mileage was a small part of what a good month would have been “way back when”. One of my more ambitious fantasies for 2017 is being able to do a century ride again.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Rodie here! I can usually ride year round here in the South! Very few cold days.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    New roadie here. Started in summer of 2015, just taking the bike out for leisurely rides when I ran into a neighbor one afternoon who was also riding. After a chat we began to ride every other day non-stop for 6 weeks putting on 1050km. I lost 24 pounds in the process (much needed) and gained lean muscle. I never looked back. I live in Southwestern Ontario so just waiting for the warm temps to get here so I can get back out there. I do it because I love it, not look to enter any marathons or centuries, as of yet. Time will tell in that department.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Not a cyclist but I love to ride bikes, at high speeds, preferably in races....

And how does that make you NOT a cyclist?
  • CantonRC
    CantonRC Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been riding road bikes for 25 years. This fall started riding a mountain bike and have been riding it through the winter on a cross country trail. I wish I would have tried off road sooner I really enjoy it. I also ride a sportbike doing track days, a dirt bike woods and adventure riding, and a trials bike just playing around. I can't do any cool stuff on it but it's still fun.
  • dreamonsugar
    dreamonsugar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm just a commuter here in Alberta. Ride all year. Studded tires in winter. Likely ride about 10 miles a day. I don't have a proper tracker for riding.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yep - used a bike as transport for my commute for most of my working life. I now cycle most weekends and plan holidays which are based on cycling. Have all sorts of bikes, tourer for everyday, carbon fibre for faster road riding and a new MTB to use in the forests near our new home. Also do spin classes at gym twice a week.

Not at all interested in racing or clubbing etc but love being out on my bike(s). But like to read about cycling related things, follow the Tour de France and read books about that too.

I just join this group in here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3764-cycling-challenges
  • Sedu1906
    Options
    I'm just a commuter here in Alberta. Ride all year. Studded tires in winter. Likely ride about 10 miles a day. I don't have a proper tracker for riding.

I used to love riding in the winter...not sure what happened..lol. you're quite dedicated
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options

I used to love riding in the winter...not sure what happened..lol. you're quite dedicated

I used to enjoy riding in winter too in Alberta and Manitoba ... and then I moved to Australia and now I've become a winter wimp. :grin:

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options

I used to as well, but then winters around here become much icier. I ride in snow no problem, but when there is ice everywhere I have no interest in risking life and limb when I have a trainer in the basement. Not the same as outdoors, but it will do.
  • Sedu1906
    Options
    So I'm riding yesterday as it was unseasonably warm in nj, and I notice this car sitting on my rear. After a few minutes noticing it's still there is slow down to make eye contact with the driver who, turns out, was filming me on his phone.

I'm not sure if I should feel flattered or violated. Lol.
  • teicu1
    teicu1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So I'm riding yesterday as it was unseasonably warm in nj, and I notice this car sitting on my rear. After a few minutes noticing it's still there is slow down to make eye contact with the driver who, turns out, was filming me on his phone. I'm not sure if I should feel flattered or violated. Lol.
    That’s creepy and it’d be possible trouble in my area. If that happened to me, I’d write down the license plate #, car description and as much of a description of the driver as I could manage. That kind of thing is one of the reasons I always have a note pad and a couple pens in my handlebar pack. I also frequently carry a little p+s camera with me and if I’d had the camera on that ride, I’d definitely have photographed that photographer.

Your story has now got me seriously considering adding a pepper spray canister to my standard handlebar pack gear.