Ground beef recipes ... something different

Options

Replies

• buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My Dad's signature dish growing up was "*kitten* on a Shingle" - basically browned ground beef, a bag of frozen mixed veg (the cheap one where everything is in cubes), once cooked, mix through enough water and instant gravy to make it the consistency of pie filling and eat it on toast or crackers. It's still one of my go-to no-time dinners, or comfort foods.

Wow, you brought me back to being about 10 years old. Used to have this a lot but it had left my memory!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,339 Member
    Options
    You can put it in lentil stew. I also make a dish, sauteing it with onions, garlic then adding shredded cabbage then adding chicken broth & cooking rice in it. I add cheese & sour cream when done. You can leave off the rice. and the Joe special is good too
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Dumplings, perogies and meat crepes are some of the very few ways I eat meat, so that's all I have to recommend other than the usual.
  • Marieyeyeam
    Marieyeyeam Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    baked samosas, patties, on pizza, ground beef biryani or kofta with rice
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Cook some ground beef and add it to steamed or roasted cauliflower, whatever spices you like (just salt and pepper is fine to me) and a sprinkle of cheese if that's your thing. I'm not doing low carb, but if you happen to be, someone once mentioned thst the dish is like a low carb hamburger helper.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Cuban picadillo is always my family's request.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I swear by these meatballs.

https://cookbookhoarder.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/swedish-meatballs.pdf

It is a bulk recipe so you can make a whole bunch at once and save yourself loads of time.
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Tacos, stroganoff, meatballs, any type of casserole.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps (I do this with beef instead of chicken: http://damndelicious.net/2014/05/30/pf-changs-chicken-lettuce-wraps/
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Add to soup, stirfrys
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    Pastel De Papa, they're so good.

I had never heard of this... after Googling now I MUST make it. Immediately.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    subcounter wrote: »
    Pastel De Papa, they're so good.

I had never heard of this... after Googling now I MUST make it. Immediately.

This seems pretty close to shepherd's pie (minus the veggies, plus eggs). That's definitely a must.

Sloppy Joe's?

Also, this is the bomb

http://www.skinnytaste.com/cheeseburger-casserole/
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    My Dad's signature dish growing up was "*kitten* on a Shingle" - basically browned ground beef, a bag of frozen mixed veg (the cheap one where everything is in cubes), once cooked, mix through enough water and instant gravy to make it the consistency of pie filling and eat it on toast or crackers. It's still one of my go-to no-time dinners, or comfort foods.

Hmmm...must be a regional thing. In my SoCal family, "SoaS" was what we called chipped beef.
  • cinicxo
    cinicxo Posts: 40 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'll link you to one of the recipes I've posted on here with a picture! It's "dirty rice" aka rice, with bell peppers, and ground beef, lol quick, easy, and delicious

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1106217/quick-and-super-easy-healthy-dirty-rice-with-pic#latest
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    "Joe's Special"
    Saute an onion in a large skillet
    Add in 1 lb Ground Beef and brown
    Mix in 1/2 lb cooked spinach (I use frozen) or whatever veggie you like
    Mix in 6 - 8 beaten eggs and continue to turn the mixture in the pan till the eggs are set
    Mix in 1/4 - 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (or sprinkle it on top of each serving)

Oh man...sounds like dinner to me! Protein, protein, and more protein and it sounds great too. Thanks!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    individual meat patties ... a.k.a. salisbury steak but gravy is optional. We make it by adding a couple of slices of bread (per lb of meat) that have soaked in some water, and a minced onion, salt and pepper to taste. Mix together like for meatloaf, then fashion little torpedo shaped patties and either fry or bake em. Serve with pickles or fermented vegetables.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I swear by these meatballs.

https://cookbookhoarder.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/swedish-meatballs.pdf

It is a bulk recipe so you can make a whole bunch at once and save yourself loads of time.

@jgnatca Are the two sauces a pick one or do you use both?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Mince and doughballs:

Brown a pound of the beef, remove from the pan and add a diced onion and a diced carrot. Cook til the onion is soft. Add two or three tablespoons of flour, stir in and add the beef and a bit of beef stock (from cubes is fine, or whatever you want). Bring to the boil and simmer a bit until the beef is cooked and you're sure it's going to be the right consistency (add more stock if needed). Season to taste and put in a deep oven dish. Make sure the oven is heated (moderate, 180C/350F) and put the dish in - it needs to be hot for the next step.

Make up doughballs by rubbing 1-2oz fat (eg butter - dripping or grated suet are best if you have it) into 8oz self raising flour. Add a pinch of salt, herbs if you want them, and enough milk to mix to a soft dough, similar to scones/biscuits.

Pull off lumps of the dough and drop them into the hot mince. Don't shape or roll them, they should be irregular, like fluffy clouds. Cover with a lid or foil - make sure they have room to rise, they will about double - and bake for about 20 min until the doughballs are cooked through. If you want you can then bake them uncovered for 5 min to brown a little, but don't dry them out or make them hard.

This is not exactly low calorie but is rib-sticking and satisfying, traditional Scottish fare. Doughballs are what the English would call dumplings, but doughballs should be irregular and super-fluffy, where English dumplings are generally rolled into balls. I have reduced the fat in the doughballs - the traditional recipe is 4oz fat to 8oz flour, but I find that can make them heavy.

I didn't mention the seemingly ubiquitous fat-draining step you see in ground beef recipes as I have never needed to do that, and if your beef is good quality and grass fed, neither will you.

Enjoy your half a cow! Sounds amazing.

• kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Cottage pie. Dry fry the minced beef with onion, draining any liquid, add a beef stock cube crumbled, peas and carrots and a little dried mixed herbs. A tbsp of tomato puree and just enough water to cover. Simmer for 30 mins topping up with water if needed and a tiny bit of gravy granules at the end to thicken. Pour into a baking dish and once cooled top with any root veg mash of your choice, I like sweet potato, I dont mash it with butter just some fat free fromage frais. Level out and fork it up so the mash ismt smooth, this helps the mash to crisp up. If I wasent counting calories id brush with melted butter before going in the oven for 20-30 minutes till golden and crispy. Proper british comfort food.