Paleo? Yes or no?

Options

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    lmccarty94 wrote: »
    Been there, done that and developed some nasty digestion issues and also spent an insane amount of money on the 'approved' foods. After a few months I realized it wasn't for me lol :p
    Thinking about trying out a paleo-style diet. Everything I've done just doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions?

What do you mean by working, what is your goal, what have you done to achieve it, and how long have you done those things?

I've been consistently working out since November. I cut out fast food and 80% processed foods, I don't drink or smoke, I increased my work out from 2 days a week to 3-4x a week and have a pretty balanced diet. I'm trying to lose 30lbs or 2 pant sizes (whichever comes first). But I'm not seeing any changes other than physical performance.

The only thing that works is being in a caloric deficit. Drinking has nothing to do with it, smoking has nothing to do with it, fast food as nothing to do with it. You need to consume fewer calories than you burn.

Paleo won't work either unless you eat fewer calories than you burn. And it really won't work if you don't want to stick with it forever.

Weigh your food, count your calories and if you're not losing you need to eat less, move more, or both.
  • laceyyyo
    laceyyyo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My version of the paleo diet is just not eating anything that's processed or not fresh. Stick to eggs, meat, fruits and veggies, and nuts. I do rice, bread, peanut butter, and even pretzels but my goal is to keep that as processed as it gets.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that and developed some nasty digestion issues and also spent an insane amount of money on the 'approved' foods. After a few months I realized it wasn't for me lol :p
    Thinking about trying out a paleo-style diet. Everything I've done just doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions?

What do you mean by working, what is your goal, what have you done to achieve it, and how long have you done those things?

I've been consistently working out since November. I cut out fast food and 80% processed foods, I don't drink or smoke, I increased my work out from 2 days a week to 3-4x a week and have a pretty balanced diet. I'm trying to lose 30lbs or 2 pant sizes (whichever comes first). But I'm not seeing any changes other than physical performance.

I see you've cut out foods and have a balanced diet, but are you counting calories?

This! How would any way of eating help you if you are not in a deficit?
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Amen! Also, I developed gluten intolerance from it, and because I was never sensitive to it before, it took me months to realize the culprit (it was hell) Looking back, I don't know how I survived that long on such a low carb diet, I would probably wilt up and die if I had to do it again. CARBS ARE LIFE!! I highly recommend trying a higher carb, lower fat ratio for a bit. Unless of course, that was one of the things you tried before without any results. Everybody is different but as a hclf vegan, never in my life have I felt this amazing!
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've done Paleo a couple of times (at my gym we do a few food challenges a year). I was actually a lot more successful on the Zone Diet (fancy way of saying macro counting basically- but each meal is broken up a specific way). Now that I've learned what works for me, I've been macro counting for 6 months and haven't looked back.

For me, eating Paleo is impractical. Every "challenge" we did, I gained back the weight I had lost pretty quickly. It always felt like all of us were "counting down the days" until we could have ice cream, beer, etc. and talking about how we couldn't wait for the first cheat meal after the challenge was over (or cheat week...you get the idea). Plus, I always found that I was making Paleo treats with coconut and almond flour- and adding a lot of fat to my diet. Just because it was "Paleo" didn't make necessarily equal a "healthy" treat. Part of this was to compensate for the lack of carbs I was eating because my energy was so low and I was losing strength at the gym too.

I also really like dairy, and having Greek yogurt and cheese. I don't really believe in cutting out entire food groups unless you have some sort of allergy or something to it.

The definite pro of Paleo for me was it taught me a lot about clean eating and being mindful of what I am putting in my mouth. I still eat pretty clean, but don't feel bad when I don't either. It kicked my soda habit, and I haven't had any in 5 years, I don't even miss it anymore (and I used to drink 3 cans a day). It also helped with discipline, I learned how to meal prep and plan accordingly, and that I didn't necessarily have to stop to pick something up because I could easily prepare a quick dinner at home. I also discovered that I liked having things like unsweetened almond milk in my protein shake, and it opened me up to trying a lot of new foods I would have scuffed at before.

The cons of it for me where it really did give me an unhealthy relationship with food and affected my social life too. It was hard to go to dinner with friends, and I always ended up feeling guilty when I "cheated". Eating wasn't enjoyable. It also made me kind of obsessed with what I was eating- if I was out to dinner- is that just grilled chicken? Is it cooked in some type of "non paleo" oil? I also found myself not eating when I was hungry if I didn't have a Paleo compliant snack around- I'd make myself wait until I found something I could have. Sometimes, I would log at the end of the day and find that I went over my calorie allotment by hundreds of calories just in fat alone, and other days I'd find myself eating somewhere between 1000-1200.

Just my thoughts!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The only time I eat Paleo is when I am cutting, and that's only because I literally eat nothing but tuna and chicken breast during those weeks.

I have discovered that I enjoy potatoes, oats and cheese too much for that nonsense otherwise.
  • lmccarty94
    lmccarty94 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I see you've cut out foods and have a balanced diet, but are you counting calories?

Yes I do using this app and a food scale.
  • lmccarty94
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

How many calories do you take in? All that stuff is great, but it doesn't necessarily default to a calorie deficit. I eat very healthy and have put on 10 Lbs over winter due to the fact that my calories coming in have exceeded my expenditure regardless of the fact that it's mostly whole, nutritious food sources.
    astrampe wrote: »

You are not counting calories and you are not weighing your food to make sure you are in a deficit. Eating healthy, cutting out junk and working out still don't mean you are eating less than you burn....
    Do this and "it will work"....

I do count calories and I do measure my food and I eat around 1600 a day with macros set at 45% protein, 35% carbs and 20% fat. I'm doing everything as per my trainer.
  • lmccarty94
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »

This! How would any way of eating help you if you are not in a deficit?

The only thing that works is being in a caloric deficit. Drinking has nothing to do with it, smoking has nothing to do with it, fast food as nothing to do with it. You need to consume fewer calories than you burn.

Paleo won't work either unless you eat fewer calories than you burn. And it really won't work if you don't want to stick with it forever.

Weigh your food, count your calories and if you're not losing you need to eat less, move more, or both.
    OP, please answer those who have been asking if you've been counting calories. Thanks. You mention trying everything, but the truth is, if you were counting calories accurately you would be losing weight. No matter which way of eating you choose, calories are always king when it comes to weight loss/maintaining/gaining.

Working out and cutting foods isn't necessary for weight loss. One can still lose weight even if they eat "junk" food/eat at fast food joints and all since all that is needed for weight loss is a calorie deficit. As you have so little to lose, you should chose to lose half a pound per week.

I do count calories and I do measure my food and I eat around 1600 a day with macros set at 45% protein, 35% carbs and 20% fat. I'm doing everything as per my trainer which is why I'm so frustrated. I'm doing everything by the book. Counting calories, keeping track of macros, burning more than I intake, so and so forth. I've lost 7lbs in total but have been at a standstill for over a month. I started at 185lbs and I'm down to 177 in 4 months but it stopped. I stopped losing. And I haven't stopped doing anything of the above things mentioned.

For anyone good with stats, here are mine currently:
    Weight 177lbs
    Age 22
    Female
    Height 5'5"

1600 cals a day
    45% protein
    35% carbs
    20% fat

I started at 1400 calories but was always hungry and never satisfied so I increased my caloric intake by 200cals but I'm burning roughly 400-550 cals at the gym 3-4 days a week (recorded by Apple Watch and Fitbit)

If by all means any of this is wrong, please help! I want to get over this hump.
  • lmccarty94
    Options
    ech6hc99hqtq.jpg
    b7g8st73dyuu.jpg
    lsvuc0zs31i6.jpg
    This is my body currently.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I do count calories and I do measure my food and I eat around 1600 a day with macros set at 45% protein, 35% carbs and 20% fat. I'm doing everything as per my trainer which is why I'm so frustrated. I'm doing everything by the book. Counting calories, keeping track of macros, burning more than I intake, so and so forth. I've lost 7lbs in total but have been at a standstill for over a month. I started at 185lbs and I'm down to 177 in 4 months but it stopped. I stopped losing. And I haven't stopped doing anything of the above things mentioned.

Weight 177lbs
    Age 22
    Female
    Height 5'5"

1600 cals a day
    45% protein
    35% carbs
    20% fat

I started at 1400 calories but was always hungry and never satisfied so I increased my caloric intake by 200cals but I'm burning roughly 400-550 cals at the gym 3-4 days a week (recorded by Apple Watch and Fitbit)

If by all means any of this is wrong, please help! I want to get over this hump.

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If so, how much of them are you eating back?

At this point, it might be helpful if you opened your food diary for us.
  • lmccarty94
    Options

Weight 177lbs
    Age 22
    Female
    Height 5'5"

1600 cals a day
    45% protein
    35% carbs
    20% fat

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If so, how much of them are you eating back?

At this point, it might be helpful if you opened your food diary for us.

No I do not eat them back. I stick to my calorie goal and don't eat what MFP says to eat after a workout is logged.

How do I share that?
  • lmccarty94
    Options
    Also with my weight and my goal, MFP says I need to eat 2,000 cals a day. Could I possibly not be eating enough? Goal is set at 1lb a week.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just some general things to consider:

Are you using a food scale or eyeballing portions? Weighing is more accurate and might shine a light on the issue. Even packaged foods, don't trust how many servings it says are in the package. The calories are correct for the grams listed, then they estimate the cups or chips or # of servings.
    Check the database entries you are using. There is lots of bad info in there.

Hang in there!
  • CafeRacer808
    Options

No I do not eat them back. I stick to my calorie goal and don't eat what MFP says to eat after a workout is logged.

How do I share that?

In the mobile app, go to: More/Settings/Diary Settings/Diary Sharing and select "Public".
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever way is sustainable for you personally. Some people have no problem eating tons of meat. Some people have a hard time digesting it. Some people love being vegetarian and some people hate it. Eat in such a way that's healthy, getting the nutrients you need, and comfortable to you and you'll be able to keep that pattern for the rest of your life.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    Thanks for opening your diary, OP. I've got a couple of questions and comments:

1. I've noticed that for the past several days, your sodium intake has been really high. This could explain why you haven't seen the scale moved this week.

2. Last Thursday's entry was incomplete, and Friday-Monday weren't logged at all. Yesterday's entry also looks to be incomplete. I haven't gone back through your diary for the past month, but is this a regular occurrence for you?

3. I've noticed quite a few entries in which you've logged food by volume (peanut butter, jam/preserves, pasta sauce, etc). Are you weighing these foods and then converting them to tablespoons, cups, etc before you log them, or are you using tablespoons and cups to measure them out?

4. I saw an entry for turkey sausage logged as "links". There's a lot of variance in food manufacturing, so it's important to weigh things like sausage links, crackers, bread, etc, rather than just going by what the nutritional label says.

I'll wait for your answers to my questions, but I suspect you need to tighten up your logging.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

1. I've noticed that for the past several days, your sodium intake has been really high. This could explain why you haven't seen the scale moved this week.

2. Last Thursday's entry was incomplete, and Friday-Monday weren't logged at all. Yesterday's entry also looks to be incomplete. I haven't gone back through your diary for the past month, but is this a regular occurrence for you?

3. I've noticed quite a few entries in which you've logged food by volume (peanut butter, jam/preserves, pasta sauce, etc). Are you weighing these foods and then converting them to tablespoons, cups, etc before you log them, or are you using tablespoons and cups to measure them out?

4. I saw an entry for turkey sausage logged as "links". There's a lot of variance in food manufacturing, so it's important to weigh things like sausage links, crackers, bread, etc, rather than just going by what the nutritional label says.

I'll wait for your answers to my questions, but I suspect you need to tighten up your logging.

Agree, numerous days with only partial entries or no entries at all. Also seeing cups, tablespoons etc. OP, focus on tightening up your logging and I bet you'll start seeing the results you're looking for :)
  • lmccarty94
    Options

1. Sodium is absolutely a big problem for me. I can't figure out how to lower that. I absolutely love salty foods so that's hard to deviate from.
    2. This is definitely not a regular occurrence until this past week. I had the flu and didn't eat hardly anything which explains the not logging fully on Thursday and at all throughout the weekend. Typically I log every single day.
    3. Yes, I measure using tablespoon/measuring cups because I do not have a scale. Could you rexcommend one for me?
    4. I do always log based off of the label. I didn't know that was a no-no.