Is it safe to not eat back exercise calories?

Options
So I have been getting extremely frustrated about not losing weight after several weeks of eating vegan, eating at just over or under my calorie goal (which is approximately 1300, if I eat over it, it's by less than 100 calories) constantly increasing exercise time and intensity, drinking lots of water, etc. According to the calculations of the exercise machines and estimates on the Internet, I believe I've been burning about 300-400 calories by doing cardio every day. Being scared of under eating (because I have in the past), I have been eating back those calories that I burn. Should I not be? Is it safe to not eat those calories that I burn?

More information:
Female
Height: 5'8
Weight: 179 (as of this morning)

I do not keep my diary open for personal reasons but I am open to general advice about what foods and activities contribute to healthy weight loss :)
Thanks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your intake?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There's something wrong with your calculation for calories you eat or you burn... if you were eating gross 1300 cals you would be losing weight given your stats.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    You'll want to make sure you're giving your body the support it needs for the exercise you're getting. It's safe not to eat the calories back, but chances are your body will start demanding more food if you don't.

But at the same time, most who eat back exercise calories are wary of overestimating them, and only eat about half back.
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The machines at the gym will usually overestimate your burn. They're not very reliable and when you search for something online you usually get a very generic answer and it might not at all be very accurate for you. As you're eating your calories back it is probably better to look at using a heart rate monitor to know how many calories you can eat back. Also make sure to weigh and measure your food. Don't use estimates there either.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    At your age, there is absolutely no way that you're not losing on 1300 calories. You must be seriously underestimating your food. I suggest you get a food scale.
  • BlueHorse8
    BlueHorse8 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that I should not eat back my calories if my goal was to lose weight/body fat. Advised once I reach my goal, you can eat back those calories to maintain.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    BlueHorse8 wrote: »
    My doctor told me that I should not eat back my calories if my goal was to lose weight/body fat. Advised once I reach my goal, you can eat back those calories to maintain.

Not if you're using mfp method.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    To clarify....You've lost zero pounds after more than 3 weeks?
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back.

The machines / internet might be overestimating your calorie burn. I have to run 4 miles to burn 300 calories, for example -- and I get that number from my GPS / heart rate chest strap. The internet says I burn 450-500. That's a pretty big discrepancy.

I'd try not eating them back for a while and see what happens, or maybe half of them? When you're first starting, there is some trial and error involved. Experiment a bit and you'll hit your sweet spot soon enough.

I guess it's safe not to eat them ... I'm still here. :smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

This is incorrect if using the MFP method (NEAT). Let's do the math.

The user (Joe) in this case enters in all of his information and daily activity into MFP. MFP spits out a number to lose Joe's goal of 1lb per week. Now remember....MFP does not include daily exercise when you enter in this daily activity information. MFP indicates that with Joe's entered information, he maintains on 2000 calories, so to lose 1lb per week, Joe should eat 1500 cals per day.

2000 maint cals - 500 cal deficit = 1500 daily cals to lose 1lb per week.

Now, let's say that Joe mixes in a run everyday that equates to a 300 calorie burn.

2000 maint cals + 300 exercise cals = a new maintenance of 2300 cals

2300 new mant cals - 500 cal deficit = 1800 cals to lose that same 1lb per week.

Things to keep in mind is that this is all an estimate. Most start by eating back 50-75% of their exercise cals back for a few weeks, track progress and adjust from there. Keep in mind, the closer you are to your target weight the more those exercise cals become important. The bigger the defict when you're closer to target can cause a massive crash and burn, along with loss in muscle mass. Where, you'll lose weight but at the sacrifice of muscle so you may not change your BF% all that much.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I track my exercise calories, but I never, ever, have been concerned about adjustment of my calorie consumption to compensate for it. If I get hungry, then I know I need to eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Depends...I do long endurance rides...my target to lose 1lb per week is 1900...that's assuming zero exercise...I go on a 30 mile ride and burn 1200ish...that would leave me a mere 700 calories for basic functions and going about my day...not very healthy...
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Is your doctor fine with you increasing your loss by 1/2 to 1 lb per week?

I eat most of mine back because I'm set to lose 2 lbs per week. In fact, I'm losing faster than that (I need to eat ALL my exercise calories back) but if I wasn't I'd be losing close to 3 lbs per week.

The issue will be losing too fast can lead to health issues. The one that has me the most freaked out is gallstones. I don't want those.

To @purpleglass start by eating back 1/2. Beyond that, make sure your food tracking is as close as you can get it. If you don't weigh your food, get a food scale. You may be eating more calories than you think if you are not losing weight. Also, understand that the weight does not come off in a linear fashion and you can go a week or two with no loss and then drop a few pounds. I don't get the degree of wooshes some do, but I've gone a week with no loss and then 2 lbs drop off. It worse for women with the normal cycle and water retention.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Obligatory but brilliant flowchart.

w4vjj1fcalz6.jpg
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    If I get hungry, then I know I need to eat.

If I had followed this rule, I never would have lost weight.

If I only ate when I was hungry, I never would have gained in the first place. :)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    There are two methods of calorie counting.

The TDEE method uses a higher calorie goal which includes all your activity, and you do not log or account for exercise.

The NEAT method uses a lower calorie goal which includes ordinary activity but not purposeful exercise. Any exercise needs to be logged and the calorie goal increased to allow for it.

Either of these methods is equally reasonable and the choice is a matter of personal preference.

But if you use NEAT to calculate your goal (e.g. using myfitnesspal's default numbers), and then don't log or eat back exercise as if you were using TDEE, you're doing it wrong. Your calorie goal will be too low, causing chronic undereating, which is bad for you, and causing you to lose weight too fast, which has various nasty side effects.

If you do that and you don't lose weight any faster (or at all), there is something wrong with how you are measuring your food intake and you are eating more than you think.

OP, I think you must be underestimating your food. It's a very common problem. The best solution is to start weighing portions using a food scale, at least for a little while until you get your eye in. Stopping logging exercise would be a bodged workaround which would cause more confusion later. Better to get to the root of the problem. The other possibility is that you're overestimating your workout burns. These could both be true at once.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    pupleglass wrote: »
    So I have been getting extremely frustrated about not losing weight after several weeks of eating vegan, eating at just over or under my calorie goal (which is approximately 1300, if I eat over it, it's by less than 100 calories) constantly increasing exercise time and intensity, drinking lots of water, etc. According to the calculations of the exercise machines and estimates on the Internet, I believe I've been burning about 300-400 calories by doing cardio every day. Being scared of under eating (because I have in the past), I have been eating back those calories that I burn. Should I not be? Is it safe to not eat those calories that I burn?

More information:
    Female
    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 179 (as of this morning)

I do not keep my diary open for personal reasons but I am open to general advice about what foods and activities contribute to healthy weight loss :)
    Thanks!

MFP uses the NEAT method, and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back.

It's helpful to see people's diaries because often there are errors in logging which cause people to underestimate their calories in. Common causes of inaccuracy: not using a food scale and picking erroneous user-created entries rather than system entries. I could help you spot these types of issues if I could see your diary.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Since we're talking about only 400 calories, yeah, it is probably safe to ignore them, as long as you aren't experiencing any problems. For large calorie burns, no it isn't safe. In fact, you could die from burning too many calories without replacing them. But that's not so much an issue of whether you replace the calories as much as it is an issue of the timing of when you eat. If you can time your meals such that you have higher blood sugar during the time you are exercising then you will be in a safer place, even if you don't replace the exercise calories.