Is Anyone Else Here Non-GMO?

Options
I recently switched to a non-GMO and largely organic lifestyle. The change so far has been exceptional. Wondering if anyone else here is in the same boat. It's beginning to get a little difficult to relate to people who are still eating conventional food, I'm sure the difference is similar to meat eaters vs. vegans.

Replies

• Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    What is GMO?
  • bringit30
    bringit30 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What is GMO?
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi and yes, I try to abstain from GMOs as much as humanly possible. Also, I try to find organic foods as often as I can. I only eat wild salmon once a week or less (I used to eat red meat several times a day, being a full-on vegetarian is going to take me some time!). Anyway, I feel fantastic since cutting out meat and eating as cleanly and as naturally as possible! I still eat greek yogurt in the morning, but other than that and some cheese once every great now and again I don't do much dairy. But yes, non-GMO, organic, vegetarian, vegan people are on MFP, glad to see you!
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Genetically Modified Organism

And yes! My husband and I have been trying to switch our lifestyle to non-GMO's and organics...it starts to get a little pricey but we just keep thinking that at the end of the day--our bodies are cleaner and we let nature take it's course!
  • RebelBrew
    RebelBrew Posts: 55
    Options
    Genetically modified organism (GMO)
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    YES AS MUCH AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE
  • claikercon
    claikercon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am trying to head in that direction. How are you doing with it so far? It is not without it's challenges. Summer is a great time in my area to do it. I am opting for a combination of non-gmo/organic/whole foods. This seems a reachable goal and a good starting point. My sister and her husband are my best resource along with some interesting websites.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What is GMO?

It's an initialism for Genetically Modified Organism. In general, it refers to Roundup-ready soybeans and the like.

Of course, I have to wonder how the fundamentalists distinguish between the recent things they mean by "GMO" without including hybrids of the sort that man's been cultivating for centuries now. Hybridization is also a method of genetic modification. And if one rejects that, then one has a very hard time finding something to eat, I would think.
  • ceeshelman
    ceeshelman Posts: 77
    Options
    Wow, how does anyone have time to find non-GMO food? Organic yes, but where do you shop to get non-GMO for sure? Even organic can be GMO because of seed hybridization.
  • lmsieffer
    lmsieffer Posts: 4
    Options
    Non GMO isnt that hard to find, sometimes its right there on the shelf you just have to read the label. For example, some soymilk is (Silk) non GMO and the one right next to it isn't (Walmart or store brands generally). Every little bit helps, so just find what you can already in your store! Good luck!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned with buying more local when it comes to my produce, which in the end works out to no GMOs and a large portion of my foods being organic. I don't really think there's that much of a difference between people who actively buy organic and seek out non-GMOs and those who don't, other than attitude. Buying local, though, generally means buying in season, which means better, fresher, riper produce. I mean, eating clean is certainly different than how I used to eat, but it would still be eating clean if I wasn't buying mostly organic. I'm pretty sure most of my GMOs were before were meats and dairy, and I cut all of those (except fish) out, anyway.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Wow, how does anyone have time to find non-GMO food? Organic yes, but where do you shop to get non-GMO for sure? Even organic can be GMO because of seed hybridization.

Hybridization =/= GMO. Hybridization is generally the product of cross-pollination, which is a natural process. Genetic modification means they're actually in a lab, messing with the genetic code of the plant to make it more resistant to pesticides, drought, etc. Hybridization is why there are so many different varieties of apples. Genetic modification is why they can spray a crop with pesticides and kill everything except the crop.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I am! I am! :D It's one of the many reasons I love Trader Joe's -- they work hard to ensure all their brand name products are GMO free. Between that, basing my meals on fresh produce, and reading labels, I would say that 95% of my diet is non-GMO. The only times I really can't be sure is when we eat out, and even then I am careful to avoid things that very likely contain GMO ingredients (especially anything fried).

The more organic, local, GMO free my diet is, the better I feel. There's just no arguing. I sleep like a baby, I almost never get sick (and when I do, it doesn't last long), and most noticeably I wake up with energy and that energy lasts throughout the day. I don't drink coffee or anything caffeinated, and I don't "crash" or even feel tired in the afternoons.
  • Rilke
    Options
    Also, this website is a great resource. I have the Android app on my phone:
    http://truefoodnow.org/

Another good one:
    http://www.nongmoproject.org/
  • Rilke
    Options
    What is GMO?

It's an initialism for Genetically Modified Organism. In general, it refers to Roundup-ready soybeans and the like.

Of course, I have to wonder how the fundamentalists distinguish between the recent things they mean by "GMO" without including hybrids of the sort that man's been cultivating for centuries now. Hybridization is also a method of genetic modification. And if one rejects that, then one has a very hard time finding something to eat, I would think.

My dad said the same thing when I started talking to my parents about GMOs, but genetic modification and genetic hybridization are not the same beast. GMOs are created in a laboratory.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/139536-hybrid-vegetable-vs-genetically-modified/
  • kw2s
    kw2s Posts: 16
    Options
    Yes! It was a bit hard at first but a non-GMO lifestyle is becoming more maintream. Honestly, the GMO frankencrops scare me a bit... I even grew up on a farm and I am terrified of them.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Yes! It was a bit hard at first but a non-GMO lifestyle is becoming more maintream. Honestly, the GMO frankencrops scare me a bit... I even grew up on a farm and I am terrified of them.

Frankencrops! :laugh:
  • siouxsie212
    Options
    I actually don't spend any more than I did before. I find that I'm satisfied with my food so much more and, therefore, eat less. I've found out a lot of interesting things, like if an item (such as bread) is certified organic, then it's non-GMO. Also, Trader Joe's private label brand is non-GMO.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, as much as I can