Frusturated beyond belief

Options

Replies

• AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Loomisj72 wrote: »
    A couple of other ideas that might help.

Try mixing up your macro's. My wife has found that she hasaid to eat low high carbon for a week once a month in order to keep her body from plateauing.

Also try cyclical dieting for a month and see if that works. Cyclical dieting is where you diet 5 days then eat maintenence calories for 2 days then back to 5 deiting calories. And after 4 weeks of that eat maintenence calories for a while week.

See if that works. It worked for me. If you want to see my story it's on www.averagejoefit.net

So I don't know if you noticed by I mix up my macros every other day. 45%protein 30%fat 25% carbs; 1370 kcal on one day and 30%protein 25%fat 45%carbs; 1650 kcal. Is this different from what you are suggesting and why would it be better. Thanks

Sorry I did miss that. I read it is promise, but some times my dyslexia bites me. That was what I was suggesting which you are already doing.

Only other advice give it time or have a doc check your blood work just in case.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I am, by personal experience, not a believer in the "all people fall into this box" math on these calculators.
    If you are not losing, then you are not in a calorie deficit. My suggestion would be to rely on these site numbers only as a guide, and adjust your own calories as needed, to see progress.

As far as your HRM, you cannot use it to monitor calorie burn, during strength training. So throw those numbers out the window. It will only be a useful measurement for steady-state, aerobic exercise.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698

I completely agree with you and for that reason I reported my calories lost during cardio separately from the complete workout as strength training is for muscle gain and not calorie burning. So I would like to revise that I know that I at least burn 350-380 calories per cardio session.

As far as the calculators, of course they are only estimates. However there are studies showing that the measurements are relatively close. I did a quick literature search with a recent article from 2008 from the Indian Journal of Medical Science titled "Comparison of Harris Benedict and Mifflin-ST Jeor equations with indirect calorimetry in evaluating resting energy expenditure" that concluded no significant difference between Harris Benedict estimation and the indirect calorimetry testing at the group level (they tested 60 individuals age 18-83). This means that the likelihood that they would find a difference in the estimates of resting energy expenditure is < 5% (p value of < 0.05). However they did conclude also that there were greater difference at the individual level.

I have considered for a while getting a professional measurement of BMR, but i know this can be expensive so I figured the free method can be used reliably for now.

My point was, the "estimates" are probably fine, IF you are a person that happens to be in that median of the range of values that the studies had in their test groups. These published *guides" naturally use numbers that are an average, and there are folks that fall into the extremes on each side. I am one of those, so I have to discount the suggested calories from any of these calculators. I had to learn that just from my own experience. Hope that clarifies.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Cut way back on carbs and add more good fats. Good fats actually help you burn calories. Also, because I like the flow chart someone provided, I just found a link about hypothyroidism and some thoughts to ponder. I haven't really reviewed it all and I am not advocating it, I am just providing for interest only. https://www.restartmed.com/hashimotos-diet/
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You are trying to lose 15lbs on a 25% deficit? That's super aggressive. You may not be eating enough.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    15 lb weight loss? well thats going to take longer to lose. the last few are always the slowest. but if you are weighing everything then I would agree with the poster saying see a dr and have a blood panel done. BMR testing would be great too.Im having a similar issue and am around the same weight(Im 5'6 1/2 and 166lb).It took me 6 months to lose 1.2 lbs and then another 3 or so to lose 1.8lb. but I have a metabolic disorder so for me its even slower which sucks. I plan on looking into getting my BMR tested which I will have to save for.even for me lowering my calories,cycling them,etc wasnt much help. I started at 209 almost 5 years ago and still have 20+ lbs to lose. so dont feel bad.but yeah get whatever you can tested,make sure you weigh EVERYTHING,and dont eat calories back since you are doing TDEE/IIFYM.and just keep plugging away. for me Im losing some fat but the scale isnt budging.
  • coolcoci_115
    coolcoci_115 Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I read through the whole thing and maybe I missed it? Are you eating back exercise calories?

Nope sorry I forgot to add this. I do NOT eat back exercise calories.

If everything stated is true, and you are accurately weighing and logging everything, it may be time to see a doctor. Maybe get your thyroid function checked.

ojzaaj2wjjuz.jpg
    [/quote]

Please read the whole post, I am in the medical field. I do not have signs, symptoms or lab work that is consistent with hypothyroidism, PCOS, Cushing's disease, etc.

Also this is the third time I have posted to this forum in the last 2 years. I have seen this algorithim multiple times.
  • coolcoci_115
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Significantly increasing your exercise frequency and intensity over the last couple of weeks, which you say you've done, could cause your body to hold a little more (small number of pounds) of water weight related to muscle repair. If that happened, but your weight stayed steady (or your loss seemed "too slow"), it could be that water weight is temporarily masking fat loss.

Depending on where you are in your monthly cycle, water weight related to that could add to the temporary situation.

I understand you to be saying that you worked out less for the first month or so (studying). I'm not completely clear what your calorie level was then compared to now, but both the stress of the situation (exams) and maybe being a little more sedentary in daily habits because of studying more could also reduce your effective deficit a bit (by reducing NEAT).

If some of your current situation is related to water weight, the fat loss should outpace the water weight soon.

I think there's some good info above, but my advice would be to wait another full month before doing anything super drastic. If, by then, you haven't seen some moderate weight loss, that would be the time to think about more significant changes.

Just granny's opinion, though ;), based on observations during my own weight loss process.

I think the part of about being sedentary and studying probably did have a lot to do with it as I could be on my computer for hours on end. The meal plan was the same, only the exercise has changed. When I'm menstruating my weight did increase about 2-3 pounds and remained so for > 1 week.
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Cut way back on carbs and add more good fats. Good fats actually help you burn calories. Also, because I like the flow chart someone provided, I just found a link about hypothyroidism and some thoughts to ponder. I haven't really reviewed it all and I am not advocating it, I am just providing for interest only. https://www.restartmed.com/hashimotos-diet/

I do not have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, not sure where this doctor is substantiating all these meal plans for his patient.
  • coolcoci_115
    Options
    Might I suggest you take a step back and look at the positive: You've lost about 1/2 pound per week over the last year and a half - that's awesome! 30+ pounds!! And it's despite the fact you've done "the weight loss thing on an off." Maybe it's not as fast as you are expecting/desiring, but that's great success...so keep going!

While I am very proud of how far I've come I think the frustration comes from the fact that with all the changes I've done, and for the age I am at, my weight loss rate should be substantially higher. 33 pounds over 78 weeks (1.5 years) is a rate of 0.423 lbs/week despite making lifestyle changes to hit a goal of 1.5 to 2 pounds loss / week. I can tell you my blood boils when my size 2 friends complain about how fat they've gotten and as soon as they start cutting out the junk and the alcohol and go to the gym once they say they are starting to see a difference. As compared to me researching, calculating and prepping every morsel that goes into my mouth. And probably with better endurance and strength than them as well. Okay I'm done ranting....
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,780 Member
    Options
    I will disagree with the vast majority of people here.

First of all double check your figures on Scooby.

Secondly 25% is too much. 20% max would be appropriate.

Thirdly you're not doing "light exercise"

Fourthly you're possibly over logging what you eat. Banana raw entries are for the raw pealed fruit. Unless you peeled the bananas to weigh them, you are recording significantly excess cslories when you eat a banana.

Fifth with a partial recomp attempt and exercise taking place use a weight trending web site or app. You weigh every day the fit for a trending app is great and at worse it is an extra data point to consider, and best it is sanity saving.

"Starvation mode is not a thing". Uh-huh. But adapting to burn the least amount of calories that you can when under eating for your activity and exercise level IS a thing, and the result is slower than expected weight loss.

You are THINKING you're going for a 25% deficit, you are actually probably hitting 40% plus "expected" deficits and becoming as efficient at not burning calories as you can ESPECIALLY when coupled with a long period of previous 1200s and sub 1000 nets in the past which is implied in your post when you say you're doing it more "right" this time.

Have you used an activity tracker before? How much do you move in a day other than deliberate exercise that you account for separately?

So, I am not sure that the calories you don't record for your "zero" calories spray (nothing is zero calories in sufficient quantities) are more than your under recorded banana.

But unless you are extremely sedentary other than during these exercise sessions (and I mean not getting up from a chair for more than a total of 30 minutes in a day), I would seriously start thinking about cutting out all exercise at the 1500 Cal level OR looking at more calories if you want to effectively perform all this exercise and get results for your efforts.

In any case results are seen in 4-6 weeks of consistent effort. If you ARE effectively recomping, the scale will move very little.

In case it is lost to the agony of the starvation mode shoot down, the result of adaptation is lower than expected NEAT and more efficient exercising. Thus TDEE falls below expected and CI has to be lowered to actually create the desired deficit.

So from one point of view, eating less to lose weight is always an option.

From my point of view, eating the most that you can while still meeting your goals is the ONLY correct and long term flexibility promoting option.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Can you please open your diary?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    why are you using the smith machine for most of your leg workouts???

(not that this is the answer to your questions - just wondering)
  • coolcoci_115
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I will disagree with the vast majority of people here.

First of all double check your figures on Scooby.

Secondly 25% is too much. 20% max would be appropriate.

Thirdly you're not doing "light exercise"

Fourthly you're possibly over logging what you eat. Banana raw entries are for the raw pealed fruit. Unless you peeled the bananas to weigh them, you are recording significantly excess cslories when you eat a banana.

Fifth with a partial recomp attempt and exercise taking place use a weight trending web site or app. You weigh every day the fit for a trending app is great and at worse it is an extra data point to consider, and best it is sanity saving.

"Starvation mode is not a thing". Uh-huh. But adapting to burn the least amount of calories that you can when under eating for your activity and exercise level IS a thing, and the result is slower than expected weight loss.

You are THINKING you're going for a 25% deficit, you are actually probably hitting 40% plus "expected" deficits and becoming as efficient at not burning calories as you can ESPECIALLY when coupled with a long period of previous 1200s and sub 1000 nets in the past which is implied in your post when you say you're doing it more "right" this time.

Have you used an activity tracker before? How much do you move in a day other than deliberate exercise that you account for separately?

So, I am not sure that the calories you don't record for your "zero" calories spray (nothing is zero calories in sufficient quantities) are more than your under recorded banana.

But unless you are extremely sedentary other than during these exercise sessions (and I mean not getting up from a chair for more than a total of 30 minutes in a day), I would seriously start thinking about cutting out all exercise at the 1500 Cal level OR looking at more calories if you want to effectively perform all this exercise and get results for your efforts.

In any case results are seen in 4-6 weeks of consistent effort. If you ARE effectively recomping, the scale will move very little.

In case it is lost to the agony of the starvation mode shoot down, the result of adaptation is lower than expected NEAT and more efficient exercising. Thus TDEE falls below expected and CI has to be lowered to actually create the desired deficit.

So from one point of view, eating less to lose weight is always an option.

From my point of view, eating the most that you can while still meeting your goals is the ONLY correct and long term flexibility promoting option.

1) I checked my stats with Scooby's calculator:
    BMR - 1544
    TDEE - 2393 (moderate exercise)
    25% calorie reduction - 1795 kcal

Based on this I'm off by 300 calories.

2)
    So I disagree, what makes 20% okay but not 25%. The difference is a projected 1.2 lbs lost per versus 1.0 lbs/week.

3) I'm using moderate exercise in the calculators

4) I will have to compare the peeled weight to the total weight of the banana, but I suspect I'm logging correctly because the calories for a medium banana are 110 which did not correspond to the total weight of the bananas that I weighed today. I'll update everyone on this tomorrow

5) I have been using Happy Scale which is a weight tracking app. It has been hit or miss for me as my weight oscillates along a steady line rather than drops down at a curve.

So I had to look up what NEAT is (Non-exercise activity thermogenesis). So this may be a very important point that you bring up. Within the past month there have been extended parts of the day (5+ hours) where I did not get up or move significantly. Plus my job involves a lot of sitting, but I do get up to walk every 10-15 minutes. So this essentially would decrease NEAT and therefore decrease TDEE below expected like you said. Now given that it seems I am already underestimating what my daily caloric needs are for aggressively weight loss I should still be at a deficit for a pace of 1 lb lost per week.

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    Can you please open your diary?

Seconded.
  • coolcoci_115
    Options
    why are you using the smith machine for most of your leg workouts???

(not that this is the answer to your questions - just wondering)

So I just started learning this after watching lots of YouTube videos but apparently there is a hate for Smith Machines for Barbell exercises. I use them because :

1) that's all that's available at Planet Fitness
    2) I work out alone and I'm scared if I wanted to add weight or do any extra reps and injuring myself because I don't have a spotter