Hello, and Intermittent Fasting "IF" - anyone?

Options
I have been on a diet roller coaster a LONG time! About 3 years ago, I thought I had it figured out. I was lean and fit, training for a half marathon and then, boom, life ran me over. There was a tragedy in my family that I didn't respond to well. I stopped training and started comforting with food. Over 3 years I gained 60 pounds! I had another serious wake up call recently and made the decision to fix this body! I can't take it anymore. So I looked for some new options and came across Intermittent Fasting. I decided to try it out - 14hr fast, 10hr window to eat (healthy eating, not just whatever!). I have been doing it for about 5 days. It's different, but I don't dislike it. The science behind it is very interesting. For a person that is obsessed with food (me), limiting the 'feeding' time to a 10 hour window felt good - like some control. In those 10 hours, I plan 3 meals that are around 1500 calories total for the day. I do feel good and I sleep well. I work out about 1 hour every day. I had to change it up a bit because I was working out fasted and it was hard to do. I didn't get dizzy or light headed, but it just felt 'hard' - harder than the heart rate monitor was saying! Anyway - that is my story in a nut shell. I would love to hear what others are doing or if anyone has tried "IF".

Replies

• healthyhappy2017
    Options
    I'm doing two meals a day. I like it! I only accept friends who share diaries if you are interested in a pal.
  • Joramaisi3
    Joramaisi3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds a bit like mine. I was in the greatest shape I've ever been in 3 years ago. I was running. I was under my goal weight. I felt and looked great. I was training for my first half marathon after doing some 10k's and I started to feel back pain anytime I ran over 8 miles. Then one day I couldn't move and had to go to the ER. I was told to stop running, physical therapy 3x a week which I still do and I gained 60lbs. I was working and graduate school plus kids so I stopped working out and eating right. I had a herniated disc.

I'm back to working out and eating right. I just started Intermittent Fasting two weeks ago and I love it. I kept bouncing between 205-207. I'm now down to 200.6 with 40lbs to go. I do 16:8. However I noticed one day a week where I don't follow 16:8 due to life but I don't let that derail me and I still stay within calories. I love it and plan to continue it.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have done IF in the past and it worked great for me. I just now am back at it. I IF only about 3 days a week, depending on the week. Same I fast about 15 - 16 hours and always try and eat healthy, except for 1 "splurge" meal a week. I actually broke through my plateau this week. I am not a morning person and go to the gym after work so I normally have plenty of fuel for my workouts. Keep up that great attitude!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    bsmith2016 wrote: »
    Your story sounds a bit like mine. I was in the greatest shape I've ever been in 3 years ago. I was running. I was under my goal weight. I felt and looked great. I was training for my first half marathon after doing some 10k's and I started to feel back pain anytime I ran over 8 miles. Then one day I couldn't move and had to go to the ER. I was told to stop running, physical therapy 3x a week which I still do and I gained 60lbs. I was working and graduate school plus kids so I stopped working out and eating right. I had a herniated disc.

I'm back to working out and eating right. I just started Intermittent Fasting two weeks ago and I love it. I kept bouncing between 205-207. I'm now down to 200.6 with 40lbs to go. I do 16:8. However I noticed one day a week where I don't follow 16:8 due to life but I don't let that derail me and I still stay within calories. I love it and plan to continue it.

I started IF 16:8 in October. I love it. I feel like I have more control over food. I have learned a lot about hunger cues. I may get a little hungry a couple times during the day. But it passes. I enjoy holding off on eating because I love being able to eat bigger meals. I'm hoping I can keep up this eating style. I think it's great.
  • Mysterious_Dreamer
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I'm a part timer 16/8 dieter :)