I'm starving! What gives?

Options
I ate a lot of calories yesterday. After I got home from the gym today, I had a huge calorie dense lunch. Now it's barely 1630 and I'm very hungry.
My diary is open. I'm still losing weight, although it seems to bounce up and down a lot. I don't want to derail my weight loss, but I want FOOOOD!
Thoughts?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    PMS?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't imagine 10 ounces of guac being very filling. I know that fats are supposed to help with satiety, but I generally need something with a little bulk, as well.

What time do you eat dinner? What do you have planned?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I only went back about 5 days or so, but for every day you are not eating your calorie allowance (which does seem high though, a lot of exercise calories being added back in?)

And is one serve of keto cereal really over 800 calories?

If you are doing a lot of exercise and to a high intensity, and the additional exercise calorie count is correct, you need to eat your calories.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    No PMS.
    I usually eat dinner around 6pm. I have ham and green beans in the crock pot now.
    Lunch was guacamole/sausage/cheese/spinach, so I would think that combo would have kept me full for much longer. I was really hoping so, anyway.
  • priestp1
    priestp1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would be interest in what your overall calorie deficit. If I do nothing, I am to eat 1600 Calories a day. Based on my activity / working out - It is increased to 2900 calories a day. I usually eat about 2000 calories (heavy on proteins / light on carbs to lose water weight). My deficit is 900 calories per day. This means I will lose a pound or 2 at least per week (if not more) depending on what my body tries to do.

You may need to eat more. I am not an expert but I believe you will still lose weight. Otherwise your body will metabolism will slow down (go into starvation mode). This is just a thought.

https://authoritynutrition.com/starvation-mode/
  • Heather4448
    Options
    I only went back about 5 days or so, but for every day you are not eating your calorie allowance (which does seem high though, a lot of exercise calories being added back in?)

I am trying to stay under, but for the last few days I want to eat eat eat. I think I'm very honest with my reporting, so I feel the exercise calories are accurate.

And is one serve of keto cereal really over 800 calories?

According to MFP's recipe builder, it is. Walnuts, pine nuts, almonds, coconut flakes, chocolate chips (I can't help it!)

If you are doing a lot of exercise and to a high intensity, and the additional exercise calorie count is correct, you need to eat your calories.

Thanks for the reply. I have to admit I'm scared to eat more... I don't want to go back to where I was.

• Heather4448
    Options
    The format is off in the above reply. FYI.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    priestp1 wrote: »
    I would be interest in what your overall calorie deficit. If I do nothing, I am to eat 1600 Calories a day. Based on my activity / working out - It is increased to 2900 calories a day. I usually eat about 2000 calories (heavy on proteins / light on carbs to lose water weight). My deficit is 900 calories per day. This means I will lose a pound or 2 at least per week (if not more) depending on what my body tries to do.

You may need to eat more. I am not an expert but I believe you will still lose weight. Otherwise your body will metabolism will slow down (go into starvation mode). This is just a thought.

Authoritynutrtion.com is not an authority on nutrition. Starvation mode is a myth in the context of this conversation and biologically speaking, eating more will not lead to weight loss.
  • SapioEnigmate
    SapioEnigmate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If not PMS, ovulation? I get ravenous during both of those times of month.
  • Heather4448
    Options
    If not PMS, ovulation? I get ravenous during both of those times of month.

No ovulation; I'm using Nuvaring. At least, I don't think you ovulate while on this BC. Hmm.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    How quickly are you losing? That will tell you 1. if you are eating enough and 2. just how much more you would need to eat just to hit maintenance never mind gain.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    When losing weight, if I'm really hungry- I will have something healthy to eat. Otherwise I've found i end up binge eating, I can only restrict for so long! If you lose weight too quickly you will end up losing more lean muscle mass than fat and if you lose lean muscle it can make you heavier in the end.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'd also go back and verify the nutritional data on the items you selected. Most foods have multiple listings, and many of them are wrong. Sometimes they are wrong because the original poster is lazy, and some are wrong because the manufacturer has tweaked either the recipe or serving size so small changes are needed to keep the listings up to day. It's possible that you are not eating as many calories as you think, and that is why you are hungry. Verify the data, and if your calories-in totals are still where you think they are, then maybe tweak your macro balance before adding more food in. With all of your physical activity, perhaps you need to increase protein, as an example.

Oh, and just curious - you listed that you ate 18oz of veggies (I think cauliflower and broccoli) at lunch recently. Did you really eat more than 1# in a sitting? That's the type of thing where might be able to sub a few ounces of protein in for veggies; it might help with your satiety level.
  • debsdwyer
    debsdwyer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to sharing, but no mention of liquids above ... are you drinking enough ? I v rarely feel hungry & I think that cause I'm constantly drinking... water, matcha green t, lemon & water, other fruit infused waters .... I find have a drink and the pangs go away :)
  • Heather4448
    Options
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    I'd also go back and verify the nutritional data on the items you selected. Most foods have multiple listings, and many of them are wrong. Sometimes they are wrong because the original poster is lazy, and some are wrong because the manufacturer has tweaked either the recipe or serving size so small changes are needed to keep the listings up to day. It's possible that you are not eating as many calories as you think, and that is why you are hungry. Verify the data, and if your calories-in totals are still where you think they are, then maybe tweak your macro balance before adding more food in. With all of your physical activity, perhaps you need to increase protein, as an example.

Oh, and just curious - you listed that you ate 18oz of veggies (I think cauliflower and broccoli) at lunch recently. Did you really eat more than 1# in a sitting? That's the type of thing where might be able to sub a few ounces of protein in for veggies;

I hadn't thought about nutritionional inaccuracies. I'll try to be more mindful of my record keeping.

I will sometimes cook a package of veggies and split into two smaller meals, but log it as one just for the sake of convenience. I am falling short on my protein goal, so I will take this advice to heart and start adding more protein to my meals.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    priestp1 wrote: »

As I always say:

Authority nutrition is not an authority on nutrition. ;)