Yoga/meditation/relaxation

Options
2»

Replies

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I suggest trying them all. If you want woo-free, check out Yoga with Adrienne on youtube, and/or go to a yoga class at your gym rather than independent. Headspace is a great, woo-free intro to meditation.

If you like the woo, try a buddhist centre - they will likely do both.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    eok902 wrote: »
    krwjohnson wrote: »
    Meditation works wonders for me. There is an app called headspace that is really great, especially if you are brand new to meditating.

I see that Headspace is not free. But you can download the app (android) for free. So what happens and how much is the program? I can't seem to find that easily.

I think you have to go to the website to subscribe. It gets cheaper the longer you commit. For me it was about £5 a month, I think, maybe £50-60 for the year.
    See this page (maybe different if you don't live in the U.K): https://www.headspace.com/buy

ETA: but don't forget to try the free Take Ten course first!

The Take 10 course is free, and you can do it as much as you want. I subscribed for a bit because I was finding it really helpful. I unsubscribed when I stopped using the premium meditations, and now am back to free, doing only the basic take 10.
  • eok902
    eok902 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

The Take 10 course is free, and you can do it as much as you want. I subscribed for a bit because I was finding it really helpful. I unsubscribed when I stopped using the premium meditations, and now am back to free, doing only the basic take 10.

I had the same experience. I did Headspace for a few years but now I prefer yoga as meditation (and another vote for Yoga with Adrienne).

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    And I probably should have done this earlier.

Here is another thread on the topic.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10514352/non-spirtual-meditation

I bought the Kindle version of the Relaxation Response. An interesting read, although I did not find it that helpful as a how-to guide. It shows some of the scientific studies done on mediation.

I think I might try Calm for a bit.
  • ifyouonlyknew1492
    ifyouonlyknew1492 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! Very informational and will check these out. :)