MFP doesn't work.

Options

Replies

• mollycanine
    mollycanine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OP, I would suggest that you take your measurements. Recheck them every couple weeks. If the scale isn't moving, or not moving as much as you'd like, you may still see a difference in your measurements. Even a quarter inch every couple weeks = progress in the right direction. That means fat loss and/or firming up, which are both what you want. And just knowing those numbers are getting better, you're looking and feeling better, is enough to keep you going another couple weeks. Progress won't always show on the scale, but will show on the measuring tape.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    katoom99 wrote: »
    Also...be careful on ONLY counting Calories! Good weight loss, you need to increase the amount of Protein that they say. I try to get 1 g of protein for EVERY pound of body weight.

i could be wrong on the numbers slightly.. but isnt it .85g to 1g of protein for every pound of LEAN muscle mass you have? not weight in total

Human Nutrition course book, current edition (as I'm enrolled in the class right now), gives 1.7 grams per kg as the absolute maximum "recommended" for athletes in the building muscle phase. Non-athletes have an RDA of 0.8 grams per kilo. 136 lb non-athlete me would get 49.5 grams, nowhere near 1 gram per pound. (Higher amounts "do not appear to be harmful" but not actually necessary, according to the textbook on the subject.)
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

but is that lean muscle or total body weight because i have always thought it was lean muscle

Just says body weight, no mention of lean body weight. "Grams of Protein/kg of Body Weight/Day," Adult RDA (nonathletes) is 0.8.

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    but is that lean muscle or total body weight because i have always thought it was lean muscle

I often see 1g protein/1 lb lean mass discussed in the context of bodybuilding and adding lean muscle mass. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    MEBaraszu wrote: »
    I am not going a calorie over. Extremely diligent. Not losing a pound in over 3 weeks. Angry I wasted time on a free program.

@MEBaraszu That sounds incredibly frustrating,
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    You are not logging accurately somehow. You would lose at 1200 unless you have some serious medical condition which would prevent that.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,619 Member
    Options
    katoom99 wrote: »
    Also...be careful on ONLY counting Calories! Good weight loss, you need to increase the amount of Protein that they say. I try to get 1 g of protein for EVERY pound of body weight.

i could be wrong on the numbers slightly.. but isnt it .85g to 1g of protein for every pound of LEAN muscle mass you have? not weight in total

Human Nutrition course book, current edition (as I'm enrolled in the class right now), gives 1.7 grams per kg as the absolute maximum "recommended" for athletes in the building muscle phase. Non-athletes have an RDA of 0.8 grams per kilo. 136 lb non-athlete me would get 49.5 grams, nowhere near 1 gram per pound. (Higher amounts "do not appear to be harmful" but not actually necessary, according to the textbook on the subject.)

There are various peer reviewed papers out there and that essentially look at protein and mostly come in at 2 x RDA being noticeably more protective of lean mass in a deficit. Some papers have found effects at up to three times RDA.

That said kidney disease known or unknown would definitely contraindicate extra protein and of course if you're crowding out other useful nutrients that would also be countered indicated. For example for muscle building a combination of carbs and protein maybe more anabolic then just protein.

Also in most cases body weight is used as a proxy for lean mass because lean mass is not known as easily.

As such I set for myself the goal of 1g per pound of lean mass at the time at the top of the normal weight range for myself, which I then translated to a minimum of .8 grams per pound of body weight at the top of my normal weight range.

Now that I actually know my lean mass due to dexa scans and my weight is below the top of the normal weight range, I set a minimum for myself of 1g per lb of lean mass as of my last scan. I often exceed it slightly, and seldom fall substantially short.
  • shaylacusworth
    shaylacusworth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    maybe you need to move more and eat less, 1200 and I gain weight no matter what im doing in the gym. I'm down 165 pounds and tracked everything with mfp it's a tool you must do the work
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere in the middle when it comes to protein, i don't shoot for excessively high amounts, but i don't aim for the bare bottom of the barrel minimum RDA either.