No more exercise...

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    miratps wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I'm so happy you are getting some help with this. If I remember correctly, you were walking for hours on end, and losing weight quite rapidly. Follow the suggestions of your psychiatrist. I know it's going to be uncomfortable for you to break away from these habits. Find some other coping mechanisms to deal with the stress and anxiety (meditation, reading, volunteering for homeless or at an animal shelter). It will pass. The fact that you have taken the steps to get help, tells me you can do this.

As for the food. Your previous posts had suggested you were at goal weight (5'6" and 125lbs), did you gain a bit back, or are you still at goal weight?

I am indeed, well remembered! Although I guess I shouldn't be proud that I was memorable considering

I really hope I can but even today (first day) was a struggle and I cheated a bit by getting somewhere earlier the slightly longer way and a bit early to walk a bit despite the pain.

I'm fluctuating around that weight, I am petrified of putting on weight yet since I've gone back to eating a lot I can't seem to moderate and therefore the idea of not burning more than I am eating just doesn't't sit right. I feel now I have to eat less which is painful

The fact that you were memorable is more that I was concerned. If you look over your calorie logs, exercise logs, and your weight loss over the last five weeks or so, you should be able to determine a reasonably close estimate of how much you can eat now while maintaining your weight. Part of the trouble with losing rapidly is that you don't have time to set up sustainable habits. Another concern is that much of your weight loss was done under pretty aggressive means and now you have to change your coping mechanisms to maintain through different means.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I found the headspace app to be very helpful for my anxiety. It's a mindfulness meditation thing. Mindfulness has been shown in some clinical trials to be helpful for anxiety disorders and depression, so it might be worth a shot.

You could also try something mentally absorbing to take your mind off - painting or knitting, puzzles etc. Video games maybe? I highly recommend bioware! If you're a social person volunteering might help, or joining a social club or society. Board games/ magic the gathering maybe?

I love headspace too! The first 10 episodes are free, then a month free after that too...I find it really helpful!
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I found the headspace app to be very helpful for my anxiety. It's a mindfulness meditation thing. Mindfulness has been shown in some clinical trials to be helpful for anxiety disorders and depression, so it might be worth a shot.

You could also try something mentally absorbing to take your mind off - painting or knitting, puzzles etc. Video games maybe? I highly recommend bioware! If you're a social person volunteering might help, or joining a social club or society. Board games/ magic the gathering maybe?

I will give the app a try, thank you. As for distractions definitely, trying to get back into normal stuff like video games, TV shows etc. that kept me entertained but I can't keep focus on it - I keep thinking "I could be burning a lot of calories instead"
  • miratps
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    Do
    I'm so happy you are getting some help with this. If I remember correctly, you were walking for hours on end, and losing weight quite rapidly. Follow the suggestions of your psychiatrist. I know it's going to be uncomfortable for you to break away from these habits. Find some other coping mechanisms to deal with the stress and anxiety (meditation, reading, volunteering for homeless or at an animal shelter). It will pass. The fact that you have taken the steps to get help, tells me you can do this.

As for the food. Your previous posts had suggested you were at goal weight (5'6" and 125lbs), did you gain a bit back, or are you still at goal weight?

I am indeed, well remembered! Although I guess I shouldn't be proud that I was memorable considering

I really hope I can but even today (first day) was a struggle and I cheated a bit by getting somewhere earlier the slightly longer way and a bit early to walk a bit despite the pain.

I'm fluctuating around that weight, I am petrified of putting on weight yet since I've gone back to eating a lot I can't seem to moderate and therefore the idea of not burning more than I am eating just doesn't't sit right. I feel now I have to eat less which is painful

So were you eating a lot and just exercising a lot to compensate for the extra calories?

A bit of both. I do/did a lot of exercise in the morning and during the day and then eat A LOT at night (right up until I lie in bed) to fuel the exercise I hated in the morning.

So I would get a full meal (huge usually), I make a daily mega salad plate, bowl of mixed veg and a plate of zoodles. Then, even if I was quite satisfied stomach wise, my mind goes to 'no I need more/have x amount of calories left to eat and need energy for tomorrow morning'. It is a cycle
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    Do

So were you eating a lot and just exercising a lot to compensate for the extra calories?

A bit of both. I do/did a lot of exercise in the morning and during the day and then eat A LOT at night (right up until I lie in bed) to fuel the exercise I hated in the morning.

So I would get a full meal (huge usually), I make a daily mega salad plate, bowl of mixed veg and a plate of zoodles. Then, even if I was quite satisfied stomach wise, my mind goes to 'no I need more/have x amount of calories left to eat and need energy for tomorrow morning'. It is a cycle

What about protein or fats? No wonder you were still hungry.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I can have a really unhealthy relationship with exercise. I tend to push myself harder just to burn more calories and it becomes an addiction for me. I have to work very hard to control it and focus more on exercise for health rather than for the calorie burn. I overtrained pretty hard this fall/winter and my body forced me to do nothing more than walking (messed up my hormones). I already have anxiety and this put it through the roof. Although even walking would cause an extreme flare up in my shins, so I had to resort to yoga or light cycling. This was in December, it is now the middle of Feb. and I have yet to get back to exercise. Although the real reason being is because I have two little ones and we have had a month and half of the stomach flu, flu, colds, and now my cold turned into bronchitis. I have learned a lot and by just watching my calories I have not gained anything, infact lost but that is more due to the fact of being sick. I have also realized how much easier it has been to accept the fact that I don't need exercise to feel ok with myself. I plan to get back to moderate workouts as soon as I feel up to it, but it has been reassuring to know that my life does not have to revolve around x amount of calories burned and the gym.
    Everyday gets a little easier and the anxious thoughts/panic will get better :smile:
  • miratps
    Options
    So I failed last week. While I didn't go for a run/gym I still walked a lot to make up for it, went out my way etc. Told the doctor this and he was annoyed but almost expected it because he now realised how ingrained it all is (exercise = food). Basically going to try again otherwise I may have to be hospitalised
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Do they know you are tracking calories?

I'm concerned that you are whilst you are in the grip of an eating disorder.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    First well done you for recognising you have a problem and getting help, you are doing great at sorting this out so you can lead are normal life.

I think you have got some good advice, meditation should help with the anxiety around exercise, even if you lose focus just keep at it practice makes perfect.

Finding other things to do to distract yourself from food will help too, a hobby or something similar. Again keep at it, I used to tell myself I can have a biscuit if I first do xyz by the time I'd finished that the craving was usually gone but it took a while before I got there.

You won't be perfect at any of this straight away, you know, that's ok, keep working at it, eventually things will get easier, not going to the gym for a week is good progress, maybe now working on walking less will be a little easier, baby steps so to speak.

Try to start thinking of food as fuel not a reward (this is what comes across for me: if I exercise loads, I can eat) and if you do feel hungry have a (hot) drink first and see if that helps.
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% food choices and 20% exercise. If I make good food choices then I don't have to make bad exercise choices.
  • miratps
    Options

The doc's do, including the therapist. He understood I can't stop/do too many things at the same time right now so is worried. But we agreed that hospitalisation/inpatient is a last resort of course but we both fear it's closer than we thought as I can't seem to help myself/do nothing.
  • miratps
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    First well done you for recognising you have a problem and getting help, you are doing great at sorting this out so you can lead are normal life.

I think you have got some good advice, meditation should help with the anxiety around exercise, even if you lose focus just keep at it practice makes perfect.

Finding other things to do to distract yourself from food will help too, a hobby or something similar. Again keep at it, I used to tell myself I can have a biscuit if I first do xyz by the time I'd finished that the craving was usually gone but it took a while before I got there.

You won't be perfect at any of this straight away, you know, that's ok, keep working at it, eventually things will get easier, not going to the gym for a week is good progress, maybe now working on walking less will be a little easier, baby steps so to speak.

Try to start thinking of food as fuel not a reward (this is what comes across for me: if I exercise loads, I can eat) and if you do feel hungry have a (hot) drink first and see if that helps.

Thanks for some of the tips. The only problem I have with finding a distraction/hobby again (playing games or watching TV or something) I feel unjustified doing it by just sitting there having done nothing. It's a dumb mentality but hard to break
  • susannekb
    susannekb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I know that mentality - I shouldn't be sitting here doing nothing I must be doing something. Mine is tied into anxiety and can be hard to overcome. I echo what the others have said about using mindfulness but what helps me the most is adult colouring books. They keep the hands and the mind busy and when you are finished you have the feeling of accomplishment which helps me offset the sitting down doing nothing feeling. Keeping on trying it didn't take you a week or a month to reach your current disordered eating, baby steps and keep trying.
  • fionamct1973
    fionamct1973 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is concerned that you are losing weight, yet you are still tracking calories and exercise? Seek the appropriate medical help for your eating disorders.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

The doc's do, including the therapist. He understood I can't stop/do too many things at the same time right now so is worried. But we agreed that hospitalisation/inpatient is a last resort of course but we both fear it's closer than we thought as I can't seem to help myself/do nothing.

I'd be surprised if they did inpatient whilst you have a healthy BMI. You seem to maintaining well.

I just think being on this site can make even the strongest people obsess over calories. I'm worried it will make it harder for you.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support, it is very much appreciated and some of these tips have been noted! Yeah they are trying to help etc. but it is so so hard for me and I just do not understand why.
    I find that it is easier to exercise willpower at the grocery store than what it is to exercise willpower at home.

It is technically (although for me I'm weak everywhere). For me the big issue is moderation - I just want to keep eating no matter what but felt I could justify it but now I can't. My appetite I don't think has decreased despite no exercise which is worrying me
    You're in a tough spot. My daughter suffered from exercise compulsion with her ED also. I used to sit with her after she ate to help with the compulsions. I also had her sleep in my room with me sometimes because she would get up in the middle of the night to exercise.

Do you have a friend or significant other who might be able to help you in a similar way. Sometimes knowing someone is there helps you stay distracted.

I've asked my loved ones to essentially do the same where possible and sometimes I've still found ways around it but I genuinely do feel I need my parents/someone to do exactly what you did and basically monitor me constantly otherwise I feel I will slip very quickly. How is your daughter now? And I think it's fantastic you were there and so supportive for her.

Can you get a fitness tracker and give your parents access? Maybe one without a display and you don't get to see what the results are, but they do?

I'm not sure if this advice is helpful, but the thought crossed my mind. @fitoverfortymom do you think this would have worked with your daughter?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »

Thanks for some of the tips. The only problem I have with finding a distraction/hobby again (playing games or watching TV or something) I feel unjustified doing it by just sitting there having done nothing. It's a dumb mentality but hard to break

I can relate to this.. But not to your extreme, I'm not losing weight at a fast pace and i still eat normally.

But yesterday i had a planned rest day, i was going to sit down on the couch and watch all of the shows i recorded over the last few weeks. It didn't happen as planned, i ended up walking 9kms, which is less than usual, but not what i would call a rest day! The whole time this was in the back of mind " I'm sitting here doing nothing, what a waste" and then i started watching the clock seeing the time dwindle down and having less and less time to go for my walk, so off i went!

My situation is kinda different to yours though. I have mfp set to my maintenance calories and use exercise to create a deficit, so it makes me a bit twitchy when i don't get that deficit in by the end of the day.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Your body burns most of your calories just by existing and regular daily activity. Less or no exercise just means you burn a couple hundred less calories than with it. You will still lose weight just eating within your calorie goal and not exercising.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I was sick recently and didn't exercise at all for 2 weeks straight when normally I hit the gym to do weights 3 days a week and do cardio, HIIT, walking or hiking the other days. I still lost weight during the 2 weeks of not exercising.